The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GGG-Canelo

SabreFan1

Just now, GLASSJAW said:

i was following along on a few different blogs/news websites, and each of them had golovkin winning. don't care enough to watch a replay, but is this a controversial decision?

Not hugely controversial, but it didn't help that the one judge scored it 118-110 Canelo.  She's a twit.

I was rooting for Canelo, but I thought GGG took the fight by 3 rounds.

1 minute ago, gmen81 said:

I legit have never heard of any of these guys and had no idea there was a boxing match on until everyone was going nuts about it being a draw. 

After Mayweather, these two are the most well known in boxing.

I'm guessing that you weren't one of the people then talking out of your rear in the Mayweather-McGregor thread. 

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

lol....  Whoops.  Good point.  I'm yet another person forgetting about and crapping on poor pacman.  :lol:

well he is kinda semi retired so...

May, Pac, Canelo, GGG, Joshua, Mikey Garcia, Thurman, Danny Garcia, Rigondeaux, Wilder are my top 10 most popular imo. hell even Broner has a following lol  

1 minute ago, Trebreh said:

well he is kinda semi retired so...

May, Pac, Canelo, GGG, Joshua, Mikey Garcia, Thurman, Danny Garcia, Rigondeaux, Wilder are my top 10 most popular imo. hell even Broner has a following lol  

Even semi-retired I'm of the mindset that fame is fame.  Even if you're just famous for doing blow off of a hooker's bottom through a straw, you're still famous.  That's why I have a hard time hating too much on the useless Kardashians.  They turned mediocre talent into ungodly sums of money.

1 minute ago, Trebreh said:

i didnt see the fight but its on youtube now B)

Here's a quick synopsis.  Canelo starts out well then GGG takes most of the middle rounds and then Canelo ends the fight decent.

Then Adalaide Byrd shows why she shouldn't be a judge while the other 2 judges give too much credit to Canelo.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

Here's a quick synopsis.  Canelo starts out well then GGG takes most of the middle rounds and then Canelo ends the fight decent.

Then Adalaide Byrd shows why she shouldn't be a judge while the other 2 judges give too much credit to Canelo.

I'm on round 4 right now, it's a close fight so far. 

yes I don't know how Adalaide Bryd keeps getting these mega fights to judge?! 

2 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I'm on round 4 right now, it's a close fight so far. 

yes I don't know how Adalaide Bryd keeps getting these mega fights to judge?! 

Her husband is also a judge.  They are well connected.  Unfortunately she also does MMA judging.  Although I've never seen her score an MMA bout as terribly as she did with this.  This was just blatant in it's ridiculousness.  Maybe I should start paying attention better to her and her husband's MMA scorecards in the future.

The white judge is either unabashedly bias towards Canelo or he is retarded because there is absolutely no way Canelo won that fight 118-110. GGG had more rounds, the harder punches, Canelo was buckling a lot and GGG walked through all of the hard shots. Hardly a draw. Just a typical money grab for a rematch. Boxing is a lame-ass sport. 

2 hours ago, zzbottom said:

The white judge is either unabashedly bias towards Canelo or he is retarded because there is absolutely no way Canelo won that fight 118-110. GGG had more rounds, the harder punches, Canelo was buckling a lot and GGG walked through all of the hard shots. Hardly a draw. Just a typical money grab for a rematch. Boxing is a lame-ass sport. 

Adalaide Byrd is a mixed race woman.

Like I said before, this isn't her first terrible call for a fight.  She's a terrible judge.  She and her husband are well connected, especially in Las Vegas.  That's why she keeps getting to judge these kinds of fights even when the promoters and participants ask Nevada that she not be at ringside.

https://www.si.com/boxing/2017/09/17/gennady-golovkin-canelo-alvarez-adalaide-byrd-scorecard-history

It is really simple. You find the most elite, well-regarded judge in boxing/MMA. You find the person whose score cards best reflect the way you want boxing/MMA to be scored. This becomes your benchmark. You can then have dozens of other judges watch and score the same fight as this benchmark judge. Those that have the highest inter-rater reliability (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-rater_reliability) are recruited to score future fights. 

It is time to approach scoring from a statistical perspective+experience of the best judges and not this subjective bull$&!#.

42 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

It is really simple. You find the most elite, well-regarded judge in boxing/MMA. You find the person whose score cards best reflect the way you want boxing/MMA to be scored. This becomes your benchmark. You can then have dozens of other judges watch and score the same fight as this benchmark judge. Those that have the highest inter-rater reliability (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-rater_reliability) are recruited to score future fights. 

It is time to approach scoring from a statistical perspective+experience of the best judges and not this subjective bull$&!#.

It's one of the reasons why I started to only watch the bigger fights in boxing a long time ago.  I use to watch it religiously back in the day, but when it started to become more and more of a sham, I got disgusted with the sport and would only mostly watch the marquee match-ups.

A few years after that the Fertittas bought the UFC and made it respectable so I turned my attention to Mixed Martial Arts.

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Adalaide Byrd is a mixed race woman.

Like I said before, this isn't her first terrible call for a fight.  She's a terrible judge.  She and her husband are well connected, especially in Las Vegas.  That's why she keeps getting to judge these kinds of fights even when the promoters and participants ask Nevada that she not be at ringside.

https://www.si.com/boxing/2017/09/17/gennady-golovkin-canelo-alvarez-adalaide-byrd-scorecard-history

DJ5rSaAV4AEzGML.jpg

I was referring to the color on the judge score sheet, which was white. Saying he was just a reflex for the sport of boxing as a whole. 

Interesting fight.  I think a draw is somewhat fair as neither fighter really took the match and ran with it.  GGG was steady as always, but I thought Canelo was the more talented boxer and was right there with GGG points wise /round.  A re-match is probably a good idea, although I think dropping down to light middleweight is the proper weight class for him

That being said, Canelo looked like he was having trouble with his energy levels.  I'd like to see him move more and pick his shots to conserve energy.  I dont think he can KO GGG, unless something really wild happens.  

Archived