The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Robby Fabbri will miss the entire 2017-18 season

Wow, tough luck:

ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Blues President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today that forward Robby Fabbri will miss the entire 2017-18 season after re-injuring his surgically repaired left knee.

The Blues will hold a press conference with Armstrong and Fabbri on Thursday at 10 a.m. at Scottrade Center. Video from that press conference will be available on Thursday afternoon at stlouisblues.com.

Fabbri originally suffered a torn left ACL on Feb. 4, 2017. Dr. Bernard Bach performed surgery on Fabbri's knee in Chicago on Feb. 28 and he was cleared to play on July 31.

Fabbri, 21, has appeared in 123 career regular season games, recording 66 points (29 goals, 37 assists) and 52 penalty minutes.

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/fabbri-to-miss-2017-18-season-after-re-injuring-left-knee/c-291397900

An illustration of the importance of depth in youth, which JB is adeptly assembling. Fot every Parayko success a GM stumbles into, there's this kind of lousy luck, and/or failure lurking 'round corners.

Lots of haters(HF variety) were pointing to Fabbri to hilite Bennings DD-ineptitude(since 2014 draft, ad nauseum). There's danger in having youth progress too quickly. Even extreme examples like Ekblad(in terms of immediate impact, then perhaps unnecessary injuries) may serve a cautionary tale.

Our patience may yet pay off in spades.

As usual when someone gets a long term injury... 

"Too bad it wasn't Keith or Doughty or Marchand" 

Poor kid... gotta feel sorry for him. Only 21 years old and just getting into a grove... hopefully he has a full recovery and is ready to go next season =/

21 minutes ago, apollo said:

As usual when someone gets a long term injury... 

"Too bad it wasn't Keith or Doughty or Marchand" 

Poor kid... gotta feel sorry for him. Only 21 years old and just getting into a grove... hopefully he has a full recovery and is ready to go next season =/

Aww leave Keith alone.

I like Fabbri. Too bad. We'll see what next year brings. 

56 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

It is.

But Fabbri to them is like Virtanen to us. So it wouldn't be a huge loss unless Virtanen finally evolves into Bertuzzi.

I hate this comparison. I get life goes on without Fabbri but he is MUCH more valuable than Virtanen (who fans just all decided they liked again during the offseason for no reason). 

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

An illustration of the importance of depth in youth, which JB is adeptly assembling. Fot every Parayko success a GM stumbles into, there's this kind of lousy luck, and/or failure lurking 'round corners.

Lots of haters(HF variety) were pointing to Fabbri to hilite Bennings DD-ineptitude(since 2014 draft, ad nauseum). There's danger in having youth progress too quickly. Even extreme examples like Ekblad(in terms of immediate impact, then perhaps unnecessary injuries) may serve a cautionary tale.

Our patience may yet pay off in spades.

I don't get what your trying to say here, Fabbri was never in our draft range to pick.  

26 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't get what your trying to say here, Fabbri was never in our draft range to pick.  

Was goin by (likely faulty) memory..we had an early & late 1st(Fab was 2014, right?). I've heard endless whining that JB picked the wrong guys his first draft(especially on HF site).

Now as his picks start to turn the corner, the neg Nellies will pretend they once approved.

Another aspect is whether the Blues might have advanced Fabbri too quickly? When these kids are ELC years, I don't think it's wise to expect much before they're 22, or 23 perhaps. We seem to be advancing kids slow & steady now(perhaps moreso than any other period). I'd argue you're far more likely to get a FULL career(play 'til mid 30's, or later) from guys who weren't rushed ASAP.

37 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Was goin by (likely faulty) memory..we had an early & late 1st(Fab was 2014, right?). I've heard endless whining that JB picked the wrong guys his first draft(especially on HF site).

Now as his picks start to turn the corner, the neg Nellies will pretend they once approved.

well fabbri was 21st overall, we had the 6th and 24th overall so he was not really in our range so people are dumb for saying that.  With that said, Fabbri is out for this year....It's not like his career is over, he's still a talented player, so we can't really say that this injury plays any effect on whether or not Jake is better than Fabbri.

37 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Another aspect is whether the Blues might have advanced Fabbri too quickly? When these kids are ELC years, I don't think it's wise to expect much before they're 22, or 23 perhaps. We seem to be advancing kids slow & steady now(perhaps moreso than any other period). I'd argue you're far more likely to get a FULL career(play 'til mid 30's, or later) from guys who weren't rushed ASAP.

I don't think they did, he was NHL ready and put up 18 goals and 37 points in his first season.  That's really impressive for a rookie,  Fabbri does have an injury history, even before his NHL days,  IF you remember in the WJC he injured his ankle and missed the rest of his junior season that year.  This knee injury is very similar to what we experience last year with Rodin, no one would say that the cause had anything to do with us advancing rodin too quickly.  

Archived