The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RODIN waived

darkpoet

23 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

You don't get named the MVP of the SEL because you're average.

Generally agree, but you can definitely be named SEL MVP by having a 'one-off' year - as many people think happened to Rodin (we'll never know because of injury and his attempt at returning to the NHL).  You look at the list of Swedish MVP's and while there are a couple obvious exceptions (Forsberg/Loob/Lundqvist), that list is full of a LOT of players you never heard of.  If they were that good they'd likely have found their way to the NHL where the big money is and/or we'd have heard of them on the international stage. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guldhjälmen

Rodin being put on waivers is a clear indication imo that management recognizes we need some grit - therefore Rodin's situation is in favor of guys who can bring physicality (Dorsett/Archie/Virt/ perhaps even White). 

Will be interesting to see, if he clears and is re-assigned, then lights up the AHL - does he have to clear re-entry waivers if JB wants to call him up again? 

not an easy task to be less than 100% for years running and earn an NHL spot in the process.

will be interesting - hope he clears given the fact any team claiming him would have to commit a spot to his with the uncertainty about his health - and possible that he is rewaived and reclaimed regardless.

26 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Generally agree, but you can definitely be named SEL MVP by having a 'one-off' year - as many people think happened to Rodin (we'll never know because of injury and his attempt at returning to the NHL).  You look at the list of Swedish MVP's and while there are a couple obvious exceptions (Forsberg/Loob/Lundqvist), that list is full of a LOT of players you never heard of.  If they were that good they'd likely have found their way to the NHL where the big money is and/or we'd have heard of them on the international stage. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guldhjälmen

Rodin being put on waivers is a clear indication imo that management recognizes we need some grit - therefore Rodin's situation is in favor of guys who can bring physicality (Dorsett/Archie/Virt/ perhaps even White). 

Will be interesting to see, if he clears and is re-assigned, then lights up the AHL - does he have to clear re-entry waivers if JB wants to call him up again

I don't think it's that simple.

there's no such thing as re-entry waivers any longer - eliminated from the CBA years ago.

I think he'll clear. He just hasn't played enough hockey recently for GMs to be willing to pencil him into their 23.

And I take Rödin at his word that he'll go to Utica. 

His knee is fine. He might not be in 100% game shape, simply because he's missed so much hockey, but by all accounts his surgery was a complete success and has fixed the problem.

Assuming he clears waivers, I could see him being one of Utica's best players and earning a callup later in the season.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The only part of this that surprised me is they didn't try to get him on a conditioning loan to Utica first. So maybe he feels OK but that knee just isn't what it used to be? 

Easier to sneak through waivers now and have as a call up option than not be able to later when teams have injuries etc. I'm guessing that's why.

If he clears, we'd be able to then call him back up if/when we need to.

If he can clear, this will be very good for him. The guy NEEDS playing time. What good would it have been for him to sit on the bench or stick around and only get in practices? He needs to play, play, play, and play some more, he needs to get better, get up to game shape after being totally away from the game for a year and a half and get his game timing on, and show to himself and others just what he can do...

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

not an easy task to be less than 100% for years running and earn an NHL spot in the process.

will be interesting - hope he clears given the fact any team claiming him would have to commit a spot to his with the uncertainty about his health - and possible that he is rewaived and reclaimed regardless.

He's still got a lot of upside though,and would be a smart gamble for another team to take a chance on...Swedish Hockey player of the year...I just don't think he's still 100%..Hope he clears.

Rodin has $700,000 reasons to report to Utica.  That one way contract was a very shrewd move on the part of Benning to ensure that Rodin would have incentive to stick around even if he didn't make the cut out of training camp.  Additionally, it's $700,000 reasons for other teams to not pick him up off waivers unless they have an immediate and ongoing need for him.  I hope we see him back in a couple of months.

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

Expected.  Archie, Jake and Brock have had too good of pre-seasons. 

All 3 should start.  J.V. has a new life (note the absence of silly penalties?), Boeser looks like he's picked up from last year, and Archibald is the real surprise.  Might mean that a range of second-tier players never get to the Bigs, e.g., Gaunce looks vulnerable.  Rodin, too, obviously, as do Boucher and even Burmistrov.  Dahlen and the likes of Lind and Pettersson are in a different tier. 

I think this means the team is developing greater depth and over all quality.

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

He's not my favorite that's for sure.

I love that the Canucks move on from dead weight. Now waive Loui next.

Funny nobody is talking about Loui. Kind of like how the comments about Juolevi's preseason got quickly edited out of the recent presser.....

Anyway, I do nt see the twins here beyond this season unless something really goes right with a guy they brought in. And since the main reason Eriksson was acquired was to play with the Sedins, where does he end up after they leave? That experiment was a brutal failure right from the start anyway. 

I didn't even pencil him in on what i think the starting lineup will be, and didn't even notice i forgot until after i looked at it for a minute... lol

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Granlund - Gagner - Virtanen
Daniel - Henrik - Vanek
Archibald - Sutter - Gaunce (when healthy)

Tanev - Stecher
Del Zotto - Edler
Hutton - Gudbranson

Marky - Nilsson

12 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Funny nobody is talking about Loui. Kind of like how the comments about Juolevi's preseason got quickly edited out of the recent presser.....

Anyway, I do nt see the twins here beyond this season unless something really goes right with a guy they brought in. And since the main reason Eriksson was acquired was to play with the Sedins, where does he end up after they leave? That experiment was a brutal failure right from the start anyway. 

I didn't even pencil him in on what i think the starting lineup will be, and didn't even notice i forgot until after i looked at it for a minute... lol

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Granlund - Gagner - Virtanen
Daniel - Henrik - Vanek
Archibald - Sutter - Gaunce (when healthy)

Tanev - Stecher
Del Zotto - Edler
Hutton - Gudbranson

Marky - Nilsson

I think the Sedins have more options this season for wingers than the last few. The Loui experiment hasn't panned out, but with reduced minutes, less PK (with a healthy Sutter and the addition of Gags) they just need to find some Anson Carter chemistry with Boeser, Vanek, or even Virtanen. If they can do this and re-sign for a year we could have a pretty supremely talented 2nd or 3rd line.

Don't blame you for forgetting Loui, memorable isn't a word Id use for his performance so far.

This must be one of those "waive him to allow him to be released from the Canucks and sign in Europe deals" I would think.

At his age I can't see him wanting to hang around in Utica and hope for an injury to get called up when he can be an all-star in Sweden.

Archived