The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RODIN waived

darkpoet

Too bad Rodin didn't make the Canucks. I really admire his persistence and tenacity in trying to be part of the team. He has given it his all but it doesn't appear like he is destined to have an NHL career. Did he just have a lot of bad luck with injuries or is he not built for the North American game with the style he plays? I suspect it is the latter.

3 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

Too bad Rodin didn't make the Canucks. I really admire his persistence and tenacity in trying to be part of the team. He has given it his all but it doesn't appear like he is destined to have an NHL career. Did he just have a lot of bad luck with injuries or is he not built for the North American game with the style he plays? I suspect it is the latter.

I think this is still a wait and see move, as his preseason a year ago was great, but with surgery and no off season training... I hope he goes down to Utica, get in some good minutes and shows everyone he belongs in the NHL, also wishful thiinking

As to people saying he will bolt to Sweden. He did say he would report to Utica:

I'm just trying to compete and play hard and whatever happens happens. If they send me to Utica I'll go there but my main focus is here. All I can do is prove to Travis and management that I belong here

http://www.pressreader.com/canada/vancouver-sun/20170927/281943133075534

14 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

I think this is still a wait and see move, as his preseason a year ago was great, but with surgery and no off season training... I hope he goes down to Utica, get in some good minutes and shows everyone he belongs in the NHL, also wishful thiinking

I think he will end up in Utica. He will probably play well and I too wish he ends up playing lots for us later in the season. Unfortunately, I have this fear of injuries for him again. I mean he has the talent and will, to make it in the NHL, however, he will be 27 in a couple of months and is still struggling with injuries. It is hard to predict what will happen in the future, but the best way to do that is to look at the past. His past, unfortunately, is riddled with injuries.

Personally I was always quite surprised that Rodin garnered the attention that he did on CDC, considering his checkered past with injuries and lack of NHL accomplishments considering his age.

I guess we can just chalk it up to having such a weak roster over the last few years that even Rodin seemed like a ray of hope at times.

Anyways, he is still getting paid so hopefully he is happy and if he sticks around he may even get a shot when our roster inevitably depletes itself.

2 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

Rodin has $700,000 reasons to report to Utica.  That one way contract was a very shrewd move on the part of Benning to ensure that Rodin would have incentive to stick around even if he didn't make the cut out of training camp.  Additionally, it's $700,000 reasons for other teams to not pick him up off waivers unless they have an immediate and ongoing need for him.  I hope we see him back in a couple of months.

If another team picks him up ....those $700,000 reasons get mitigated by the player that team drops from there roster...so....$100K is the most it will cost any team ....and it may save some teams 1M or more.... 

I would have liked to see him with some sweetheart time like Boeser and Virtanen. They got great line mates with good ice time, it's almost like Green had something against Rodin. He hit the score sheet a few times even playing with Megna and Chaput (who are both black holes and both still on the team!?!?!?). I hope he clears and stays with the system. Do you suppose this is a tactic to make it look like Chappy and Meggers look like late drops so teams will look to claim them instead of earlier demotions ie. Rodin?

3 hours ago, Industrious1 said:

Personally I was always quite surprised that Rodin garnered the attention that he did on CDC, considering his checkered past with injuries and lack of NHL accomplishments considering his age.

I guess we can just chalk it up to having such a weak roster over the last few years that even Rodin seemed like a ray of hope at times.

Anyways, he is still getting paid so hopefully he is happy and if he sticks around he may even get a shot when our roster inevitably depletes itself.

To me it means the team is turning the corner.

No longer to we have to accept paying to watch guys like Boucher, Megna, Sbisa, Chaput, etc...

Having players like Rodin, Goldobin and similar in Utica gives Vancouver something they have not had even in their more recent top years - legitimate skilled forwards in the farm system ready to jump in should they be needed.   Super important for any redevelopment process to have some talent on the farm so they have luxury of making moves, keep using those with big club AND they don't have to rush anyone before their time.    Utica should be a far more competitive team this  year too which will also help the development of Demko.

Assuming Rodin isn't picked up on waivers and goes to Utica, I still see him finding his (strong) game and getting a call-up during the season when injuries take a toll. He can play quite well when he gets into his groove. His type of injuries do take time, and clearly he needs a bit more time. Training camp and exhibition games don't always show the full picture. For instance, to me, Brandon Sutter has looked pretty brutal in his pre-season games (despite the disallowed goal that was clearly a legit goal against Calgary). But I know he's going to be a solid performer again this year for the Canucks. As far as Utica call-ups go, I'd prefer Rodin over Goldobin. That guy plays too soft for my liking to be a top-six, while Rodin can fit comfortably on the third / fourth line.

He didn't show enough, but he's got a lot of rust to shake off so that's not terribly surprising. I'll be surprised if we don't see him back with the Canucks at some point this year though, dude's got talent. Having him play with our younger guys over in Utica will be tremendous, this Utica team should have some legit talent to work with up front. Our loss is definitely their gain.

Clearly Rodin failed, playing with Desjardin stalwarts Chaput and Megna two future catalysts of the organization, Rodin had every chance to make the roster.

I wish Anton the former Swedish Hockey League MVP of 2015/16 success wherever he lands, I'm a big fan of Swedish hockey players needless to say.

Archived