The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Game] CDC Gambling - Rodin edition

Ossi Vaananen

A. Rodin  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Gnarcore said:

Everyone seems to gloss over that because this fan base is full of negative people who don't know hockey from their own ass.   

I would say this fan base is full of dreamers  that  continually over- rate / hype all our prospects so clearly don't know hockey from their own ass. 

12 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Plagued by injuries our AHL team was playing in the NHL for much of the year....of course they had a bad year.  No team can deal with the amount of injuries the Canucks have had the last two years. Not only were they near tops in man games lost but in impact of the players lost. In both those years only one team affected more made the playoffs. 

Everyone seems to gloss over that because this fan base is full of negative people who don't know hockey from their own ass.   

Likewise it'll be interesting how teams like St. Louis do, faced with a lot of injuries to start the season.

20 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Plagued by injuries our AHL team was playing in the NHL for much of the year....of course they had a bad year.  No team can deal with the amount of injuries the Canucks have had the last two years. Not only were they near tops in man games lost but in impact of the players lost. In both those years only one team affected more made the playoffs. 

Blaming injuries and make excuses.

Excuse-Quotes-29.jpg

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

Are you intentionally obtuse or just born that way? 

Just because  people people disagree with you is nothing for you to get  stressed out  about.

Afterall, this is a forum where many different ideas are posted.

You are the one that is making excuses for our teams play last year.

Good players don't make excuses. Every team has injuries.   When a team is going through a stretch with guys out of the lineup... good teams manage to find a way to win.

Bad teams make excuses. 

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Just because  people people disagree with you is nothing for you to get  stressed out  about.

Good players don't make excuses. Every team has injuries.   When a team is going through a stretch with guys out of the lineup... good teams manage to find a way to win.

Bad teams make excuses. 

I think you are being just a bit ingenuous here, chum. :)

Was the difference between the season results for the Oilers in 2015 and 2016 that they were a bad team in 2015 and a good team in 2016? Would they be making excuses if they pointed out that McDavid only played half of the 2015 and all of the 2016 season? Is 48 points in 45 games for McDavid in the 2015 season an excuse by a bad team, or a valid reason why they did not do as well in the standings as they did a year later, when McDavid got 100 points over the entire season?

Were there some additions/deletions to their team? Sure. Were those additions worth 33 points in the standings for the Oilers? No. McDavid was the reason.

regards,  G.

9 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

I think you are being just a bit ingenuous here, chum. :)

Was the difference between the season results for the Oilers in 2015 and 2016 that they were a bad team in 2015 and a good team in 2016? Would they be making excuses if they pointed out that McDavid only played half of the 2015 and all of the 2016 season? Is 48 points in 45 games for McDavid in the 2015 season an excuse by a bad team, or a valid reason why they did not do as well in the standings as they did a year later, when McDavid got 100 points over the entire season?

Were there some additions/deletions to their team? Sure. Were those additions worth 33 points in the standings for the Oilers? No. McDavid was the reason.

regards,  G.

Oilers have built there club in many ways other than McJesus.   Oilers D is much improved and i don't think you can give all the credit for improvement to McD.

They finally realized that a winning club needed grit up front and solid D.

I think you may be the one being ingenious here , chum. 

40 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Bad teams make excuses. 

Good teams have depth.  Bad teams don't.  Plain and simple.

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Good teams have character players that don't use excuses /  can find the will to win,  Bad teams don't. 

Yes, character players can shoulder some of the brunt, but if a team has no depth, they will go sideways sooner or later.

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yes, character players can shoulder some of the brunt, but if a team has no depth, they will go sideways sooner or later.

I am not arguing about a lack of depth on the Canucks.  That is pretty clearly evident the last few years.

I am just against  players and fans making excuses for poor play.  Hank and Danny would be first to admit they did not play well enough  last year.

They are true pros and don't make excuses.  They accept responsibility and i respect that in them.

So in 2016 McDavid plays in 37 more games and scores 100 points. Also, as I did note, the Oilers picked up a few players who helped their cause. Their team gets 33 more points in the standings in 2016.

Is this improvement, in your opinion, mostly due to the additions of Larsson and Lucic, or because of McDavid playing all 82 games? 

regards,  G.

59 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Bad teams make excuses. 

Good teams also have good depth. Yeah we were bad last year. Cause of injuries, we had no depth to deal with it. Not an excuse, a fact. 

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I am not arguing about a lack of depth on the Canucks.  That is pretty clearly evident the last few years.

I am just against  players and fans making excuses for poor play.  Hank and Danny would be first to admit they did not play well enough  last year.

They are true pros and don't make excuses.  They accept responsibility and i respect that in them.

I understand what you are saying and agree to a certain degree.

I also think that there are times when injuries (and the lack of satisfactory replacement players) can have a negative effect on the healthy players in various ways.  Players playing over their heads, too much ice time, changing linemates, playing with injuries.  It's a domino affect right down the lineup.  Character is a huge factor in these situations, but I think eventually the team starts to fade out after a period of time.  We've seen it many times when a team just finally collapses.

14 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Unless you're talking about effort there are reasons for a team's poor performance.  

Those reasons aren't "excuses."

Not having enough NHL calibre depth throughout the lineup (offence and defense) isn't an "excuse" for a poor result.. it's a logical, easy to understand reason for it.  Way too many nights dressing fringe or sub NHL'ers like Megna/Shore/Cramarossa/Larsen/Biega/LaBate/Boucher/Skille/Grenier/Molino

and way too much responsibility for older players like the Sedins to score or too many young guys like Stecher/Hutton/Tryamkin to defend.  

Saying they simply "need to be better" or "didn't play well enough"  are just silly North American sporting cliches.  Players are expected to fall on their swords and spew them but as a fan you can't seriously believe a team's success is solely a matter of focus or will. That could play a part, no doubt, but skill and talent are still necessary ingredients.  If anything, last year the team's effort was a highlight.

34 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Clears I reckon. Burmistrov should follow him down too tbh. I'm really liking what Jake is bringing this year. 

Jake wouldn't be replacing Burm anyways.  I see Jake slotting in as either W on the 4th line, which really isn't the best situation for him unless the coach thinks he can jump up in the lineup.

Burm is a C (better than Gagner)  who plays a fairly complete game.  With the right linemates (Eriksson, Gagner or even Jake), I think his game could become similar to Granlund's.  He's feisty, skates well and is a good passer.  I prefer Burm lining up with players that can score, over Sutter.  Suts on the 4th with a couple of grinders will still score his usual goals and will have tons of minutes on the PK (which will be imperative this year with the new rules).

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Bad teams make excuses. 

Again is it intentional?  There is a difference between common sense and an excuse. 

In the first one we are so far ahead it is ridiculous...

C9-ETwxXgAExuDy.jpg

The 2nd shows over the past 7 seasons that very few teams had the depth to consistently make the playoffs while having big injuries.  You'll notice that 2 of the teams least affected won multiple cups....Pittsburgh, however, is an anomaly but 2 world class centers will do that for a team. 

C4-FtOwXAAAzrnj.jpg

Excuse is blaming the refs..pointing out stats is just common sense. 

Archived