The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 7 players - Sept. 30, 2017

abdemarco

2 hours ago, Trebreh said:

Damn i wish there were more players on waivers so he can sneak down...Rodin stands out in that group lol

How so? If anyone stands out in that list as someone who may get claimed. It's Holland. 6'2". 26 year old centre. 243 NHL games experience. 

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't think he did (play better than Rodin) nor did I say he did.   I just find it odd that a fan of a team (30+ years is impressive!) would wish their team to do poorly and be punished somehow for erring on a personnel move.   Maybe I am old-fashioned (even though apparently way younger than you unless you started being a fan in the womb) but when I am a fan of a team, I don't hope for outcomes that harm the team or make the team look poorly.   I pull for the players that team has and hope that it works out - I don't wish any former players ill and, in particular, hope those sent to the farm system only improve and help the team I cheer for become better in the future.

You seem to want to see your team do poorly because they are keeping a player you don't like over a player you do like.   OK I guess - but not way I cheer for a team.   Guess we are different.  

So why waive Rodin and keep Vanek?

Fans can't criticize a move?   I can't want a player with unproven potential to be given a chance to play for an extended period of time?  

Really?  You can't think of a situation where it's better for the Canucks to do poorly?

Damn you have a high horse with your condescending way of writing.

3 hours ago, BureLafleur10 said:

I hope someone claims Rodin and he goes on to score 20+ goals with the new team and Vanek gets less than 10 goals.  

so I'm guessing not great relationships with the ex's eh?

I'd like to see Rodin stay with us but if he did go on to do that good for him. But its still the right decision to send him down now, his conditioning isn't there yet. 

17 minutes ago, BureLafleur10 said:

Fans can't criticize a move?   I can't want a player with unproven potential to be given a chance to play for an extended period of time?  

Really?  You can't think of a situation where it's better for the Canucks to do poorly?

I think someone didn't have coffee...

1 hour ago, BureLafleur10 said:

You can criticize a move, sure, and still be a fan.   But you want a player to go to another team and do better than your own team's player.   That isn't a fan in my book.   I guess we differ on the definition.

If you take that as condescending, you are clearly at odds with your own feelings about the situation as it is only my opinion and that you should let it bother you that much says more about you than I.   :)

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

@Rob_Zepp are you surprised that Pokka cleared waivers? I thought for sure Colorado would grab him up. Solid AHL scoring, decent size, R-handed, only 23.... seemed perfect for them this year, to me anyway. 

I was but his last year in the AHL his +/- on an "ok" team was brutal.   He seemingly has lost something.   I liked him at 19, thought he improved to 21 and now something has gone wrong with him.   A change of scenery is needed I think - and coaching.

5 hours ago, BureLafleur10 said:

Dude, pretty violent reaction to a relatively neutral reply, take a deep breath man. Your first post sure didn't sound like a well-reasoned critique of a move but a scorned bitching. As a fan, I can think of a situation where a better draft odds can be obtained from the team doing poorly but I can never wish for my team to do poorly.

8 hours ago, BureLafleur10 said:

Ones a consistent 20 goal scorer and one hasn't proven anything except score some goals in the preseason against AHLers. Also extended injury history and didn't look that impressive in the preseason anyways. It is simply not true to say Rodin has proven more than Vanek in any way.

1 hour ago, Rex425 said:

Ones a consistent 20 goal scorer and one hasn't proven anything except score some goals in the preseason against AHLers. Also extended injury history and didn't look that impressive in the preseason anyways. It is simply not true to say Rodin has proven more than Vanek in any way.

Should a rebuilding team really be using 33 (soon to be 34) year old players who had trouble getting a contract offer for this season, though? 

Is that really going to be how the Canucks build for the future?  When the only benefit for the future is the hope that you can flip the guy for something at the trade deadline, isn't it time to consider players who are still in their twenties who may have the potential to help in the future?

2 hours ago, tyhee said:

Should a rebuilding team really be using 33 (soon to be 34) year old players who had trouble getting a contract offer for this season, though? 

Is that really going to be how the Canucks build for the future?  When the only benefit for the future is the hope that you can flip the guy for something at the trade deadline, isn't it time to consider players who are still in their twenties who may have the potential to help in the future?

The perks of having Vanek around with the big team go beyond that though. If he has a good start to the season like he did in Detroit, there's always the option of trading him at the trade deadline for some middle round picks. Meanwhile Rodin is getting his first hockey action in over a year, working off the rust and getting used to his new knee on the ice. When he comes back up to the big team again (injuries or trades during the season), then he can show exactly what he can do as an ex-MVP of the SHL. 

You are banking on Rodin recovering instantly, whereas I think he needs time to gain confidence with his knee. Clearly Rodin was one of the last cuts, so he is gonna be one of the first call ups. 
If he ends up going to another team and playing better there, then so be it. Management needed to make a decision and they thought the best direction is to give him time. 

7 hours ago, tyhee said:

The thing is, we already signed him. Waiving him would be sending a wrong message to veterans during the rebuild stage. Rodin is prob not gonna be a good piece for us at all, while Vanek is likely to fetch a 2nd/3rd.

Archived