The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 7 players - Sept. 30, 2017

abdemarco

36 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

He has a sel out clause i wonder if he exercises it.

Rodin probably won't. I suspect the Canucks told him that he'll be the first call up and that his stint in the AHL will be more "conditional" despite having cleared waivers. He hasn't played much in the way of meaningful hockey in 1.5 years. Give Rodin until December and he'll probably be back up with the big club.

Big surprise, though, is that Archibald pretty much appears to have made the team despite not having an NHL contract yet. Wonder when we'll see the announcement that he inked a 1 year deal. This afternoon?

38 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

He has a sel out clause i wonder if he exercises it.

“It’s something I’ve been dreaming of since I was a little kid,”

"I could go back (to Sweden) and play, but the dream has always been to play in the NHL. It’s never been about the money and because I’ve been so close, it would be stupid not to chase it. And when you’re close, you want to get after it."

“I’m just trying to compete and play hard and whatever happens, happens,” he stressed. “If they send me to Utica, I’ll go there, but my main focus is here. All I can do is prove to Travis and management that I belong here."

10 hours ago, tyhee said:

Should a rebuilding team really be using 33 (soon to be 34) year old players who had trouble getting a contract offer for this season, though? 

Should a rebuilding team really be using a 26 (soon to be 27) year old player who has a history of significant injuries? And while he has a lot of potential, Rodin has not really shown that much in the North American game (predominantly in the AHL).

<Insert criticism here from other poster(s) who will claim that Rodin hasn't been given a fair shake and only played with 4th liners>

Who would you take off the team in order to keep Rodin here? Let's make it tougher/easier by removing Vanek and Ericksson from the equation. Those guys were starting here regardless of how they played in pre-season (everyone should just deal with it). So who is left that should be sent down in place of Rodin (who is, for the most part, a RW)?

I'm not sending down Boeser just to keep Rodin here. I'm not sending Virtanen down just to keep Rodin here. Gagner can play RW, and I'm not sending him down to keep Rodin here. Granlund can play RW, and I'm not sending him down to keep Rodin here. Burmistrov can play RW, and I'm not sending him down in place of Rodin.

Assuming that Rodin did manage to be kept here, I wouldn't play him ahead of any of these guys and get top-9 minutes.

This leaves us with Dorsett, who plays on the 4th line, playing a 4th line grinding/physical game, getting 4th line minutes and playing with 4th liners. Does anyone think that this is the best place for Rodin to re-build his game? I see this as a dis-service to both Rodin and the team.

10 hours ago, tyhee said:

Is that really going to be how the Canucks build for the future?  When the only benefit for the future is the hope that you can flip the guy for something at the trade deadline, isn't it time to consider players who are still in their twenties who may have the potential to help in the future?

It's an interesting irony here that Rodin's age is viewed as a positive, but with other players the age card gets played as a negative. When Sutter arrived he was seen by some as being "old" for a re-building team when in fact he was younger/just about the same age as Rodin is today. 

What's wrong with signing a veteran with the purpose of flipping him at the TDL? Vanek is signed short term for a very cap friendly contract, and the team (potentially) will get a fairly good pick if he does well over the season. I'm okay having a guy like this on the team, provided that he is not taking significant minutes from a younger, developing player. Rodin is not that younger, developing player. If anything, in this situation I see Rodin as the guy potentially taking away minutes from a younger, developing player. 

regards,  G.

Rodin has that offensive skillset, that is what intrigues me about him. We need all the scoring depth possible, but yes with the FA additions especially when we signed Vanek I figured Rodin would likely get waived.

Rodin seems to be hard on the forecheck and he makes good passes. I would like to see him have a chance at a top 9  spot at some point this season. I give him credit for not running back to Sweden. This probably is his last go at the NHL so he is going to give it a long shot before heading back home.

Archived