The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton terror attacks: Police officer stabbed, four people struck by U-Haul

Toews

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Agreed.  But I doubt the results we want would be instantaneous as well.....

And they never ever will be and that's the problem.  people want those results now.  Nobody has the patience anymore to wait for results or work towards a better tomorrow as it was.

Just now, riffraff said:

Agreed.  But I doubt the results we want would be instantaneous as well.....

I guess with outreach you'll never know the exact number of kids that are steered away form this or how fast it can happen. But really on the ground, right now, what else is there to be done? Unless we really want to go full military lock down, curfews, etc. but that makes no sense. As sad as the incident is it doesn't justify that. 

I also don't like the idea of new laws (other than ones for more border-type security for conducing more effective searching for weapons, etc.) because it gets too easily politicized and we go down the same old rabbit holes and nothing new really does occur. 

Just now, Warhippy said:

And they never ever will be and that's the problem.  people want those results now.  Nobody has the patience anymore to wait for results or work towards a better tomorrow as it was.

Totally fair.  However I think it's not unreasonable to suggest some legislation involving stiffer crimes on "all terrorism" and certainly any propaganda that promotes it.  Fine line of free speech indeed.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess with outreach you'll never know the exact number of kids that are steered away form this or how fast it can happen. But really on the ground, right now, what else is there to be done? Unless we really want to go full military lock down, curfews, etc. but that makes no sense. As sad as the incident is it doesn't justify that. 

I also don't like the idea of new laws (other than ones for more border-type security for conducing more effective searching for weapons, etc.) because it gets too easily politicized and we go down the same old rabbit holes and nothing new really does occur. 

99% agree.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Totally fair.  However I think it's not unreasonable to suggest some legislation involving stiffer crimes on "all terrorism" and certainly any propaganda that promotes it.  Fine line of free speech indeed.

We're over 70 years since WW2 and one can still happily buy Nazi items even though they were outlawed for some time.  Legislation only works if it's enforced or people are caught.  I won't disagree but more laws....more rules more paranoia.

We're already not as free as some would believe already without heaping more on top of it.  There's no easy answer in any of this

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

This could've been prevented if we opened our borders even more to anyone and everyone.

Don't start that crap Torts you're better than that

This wouldn't have happened if everyone had guns.  it's guns we need, more guns not borders.

come on man...

:bigblush:

In all seriousness, what we really need is a much better way to measure the mental states of these people.

Their actions are out of everyone's control. The only way to solve all terrorism in the world is to confirm their affiliation with these terror groups in advance.

I have no pity for anyone that supports even the slightest attack. There's no room for this in Canada and they should be banished for life.

This is a country of peace, freedom, and prosperity. Don't like it? Go elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

What the hell is your point? 

We shouldn't care because people are injured and killed in other ways?

Obviously impaired driving and drug overdoses are very concerning however this thread is about some lunatic with a isis flag trying to kill many people. It's nice to see you hardly care.

my point is this is an isolated incident by one deluded misfit, lets keep it in perspective before anyone runs out and burns down their neighborhood mosque. don't let yourself be played by the terrorist/terrorism narrative being pushed by the ruling class. Trudeau is just hitting his talking points as he's instructed to. 

There will always be people within all societies who choose to do harm to others.  The excuse for their actions differ, but the act is still the same.  You can teach, outreach, attempt to diagnose or put in strict laws, but you cannot eliminate violence.  Sure it can be lessened a bit with a combo of all those things, but at the end of the day, someone will try to kill or injure another no matter the motive or justification behind it.

27 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

The solution is to slow down immigration from these countries, with very stringent investigations into all who apply for citizenship. 

Yup. Unfortunately its already too late for that for most of Europe and now Canada...

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

Side note:

what proportion would you like to keep this in?

a man, known to police, in two separate incidences tried to kill as many people as he could, including a police officer.

yeah.  Just chill people.  No need for alarm.

The proportion that doesn't say that we need to ban all Muslims or stop any Muslim refugees or immigrants from entering our country. The proportion that doesn't blame our immigration policy for one nut job's actions.

This is so disturbing.

Edmonton terror attack suspect was known to police, public safety minister says

The man arrested in a suspected terrorist attack in Edmonton that saw a police officer stabbed and several pedestrians run down with a cube van on Saturday night was known to law enforcement, the public safety ministery says. 

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said in a news conference on Sunday in Regina that the suspect, who is in police custody, was on a "police watch list." 

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4315693

1 hour ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

The solution is to slow down immigration from these countries, with very stringent investigations into all who apply for citizenship. 

what are these countries?

you do know that to apply for citizenship you have to live in this country for several years, right?

49 minutes ago, Toews said:

The proportion that doesn't say that we need to ban all Muslims or stop any Muslim refugees or immigrants from entering our country. The proportion that doesn't blame our immigration policy for one nut job's actions.

Well that provides some context then.....from your support of nucklheads post I thought the context was "no need to have fear or doubt of public safety". Which is a big ask.....especially considering this man was known to police.  As far as I'm concerned it should be public knowledge as to what a person "is known to police for" if there is a threat to the public.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Had another thought...

sure "we" could outreach to these kids....I assume you mean Muslim kids?  But who do you mean by "we"

1 hour ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

no, it isn't. Lots of self-radicalized people were born here, including ones that didn't grow up Muslim. 

Archived