The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Fantasy League 2017-18 (Contact Nail if interested)

Nail

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

totally in favour of drafting where playoff business does not limit drafting order. generally speaking I think time is needed for more detailed analysis at the back end of drafts not the front end. If you have an idea of the best 8 to pick...make an educated guess and pick already....when you are looking at pick 140 vs pick 171 (a round later) that is when i would rather have more time. /nuff said.

I don't think it's really about having time to research (hopefully GMs have done their research long before their pick comes up). It's about the impact of a missed pick on the team.

In the first round, missing a pick or two can have a large effect. There is a general consensus of who the best of the best are. But from the 3rd round on, it's sort of a crap shoot. You could miss a bunch of picks, or even a whole round, and still end up with the guy you wanted anyway. And the vast majority of those players will never make an NHL impact - many will never play a single NHL game. So there's no sense holding up the draft for something that doesn't really matter.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

I don't think it's really about having time to research (hopefully GMs have done their research long before their pick comes up). It's about the impact of a missed pick on the team.

In the first round, missing a pick or two can have a large effect. There is a general consensus of who the best of the best are. But from the 3rd round on, it's sort of a crap shoot. You could miss a bunch of picks, or even a whole round, and still end up with the guy you wanted anyway. And the vast majority of those players will never make an NHL impact - many will never play a single NHL game. So there's no sense holding up the draft for something that doesn't really matter.

My reply was aimed at the question of starting the draft pronto rather than almost a month from now. I am simply saying YES...lets draft earlier so we have more time later. Making ones pick at the earliest opportunity allows for more time in general throughout every round and therefore later round picks...but lets not get bogged down in the weeds....Are you and I both agreed that it would be cool to startt the effin draft? Then why argue about the way we said the same thing?

Archived