The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Petty Passes Away

Warhippy

5 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

Ugh. Stupid news organizations once again in a rush to get the story out first don't report it accurately. Apparently he is still alive.

Maybe?

"

Confusion surrounds news of legendary singer Tom Petty after an early report that he has died aged 66.

Conflicting reports emerged after he experienced a heart attack at the age of 66.

The singer-songwriter was reportedly rushed to the UCLA Santa Monica hospital on Monday after being found unconscious in his Malibu home.

According to an initial LAPD source via CBS News and Variety, he was taken off life support soon after.

Yet later tweets from CBS and the LAPD claim that the department has “no information about the passing of singer Tom Petty” and any information has been “inadvertently provided”, with both apologisng."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/tom-petty-dead-dies-death-latest-cause-age-life-career-music-heartbreakers-a7979696.html

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

Waters plays next week at BC Place ..I doubt we see him with Gilmour again at this point though.   Saw Petty at the original Pemberton Festival. 

Wait seriously?

I saw floyd/division bell with my uncle in the early 90s but would give anything to see them again

4 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Apparently he is still alive and on life support...  

@Warhippy  You should probably change the title of the thread until full confirmation.  Man if he pulls through I'm gonna play his CD all night long...

LAPD apparently relayed the news of his death.  Now sort of retracted, maybe just semantics as the coroner usually releases this info ☹️

Tom Petty Reportedly Clinging to Life

Even though it was announced earlier that Tom Petty died at the age of 66, new reports indicate he is still alive but clinging to life.

UPDATE: TMZ is now reporting that Petty is still alive. They write, “Sources tell us at 10:30 Monday morning a chaplain was called to Tom’s hospital room. We’re told the family has a do not resuscitate order on Tom. The singer is not expected to live throughout the day, but he’s still clinging to life. A report that the LAPD confirmed the singer’s death is inaccurate — the L.A. County Sheriff’s Dept. handled the emergency.”

UPDATE: CBS News has clarified its earlier statement that Petty had died: “Tom Petty, the rocker best known as the frontman of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, is clinging to life in a Los Angeles hospital, according to TMZ. An earlier LAPD report which confirmed the singer’s death, and which CBS reported, has since been clarified.”

Petty was reported to have been found unconscious in full cardiac arrest last night. According to TMZ, Petty was rushed to the hospital after he was found unconscious, not breathing and in full cardiac arrest at his Malibu home.

Even though he was reportedly found with a pulse and rushed to the UCLA Santa Monica Hospital, TMZ said “after Petty got to the hospital, he had no brain activity and a decision was made to pull life support.”

His condition was listed as critical from the time he was discovered.

Petty’s most recent tour wrapped up just last week in California with three concerts at the Hollywood Bowl. The tour launched back in April and was being celebrated as Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ 40th-anniversary tour.

While Petty himself suggested that he didn’t want to perform huge tours like that anymore in the future, longtime guitarist Mke Campbell didn’t think his bandmate was serious about pulling off the road. “Tom is really happy,” he said before the tour started. “The band is playing great. I think we’re sounding better than we’ve ever sounded, and we’re inspired. It’s very exciting for us. And the band is really rising to the occasion and everybody is in a great place right now. I think we can keep going for a while.”

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers released their self-titled debut album in 1976 after several members played together for a few years as Mudcrutch. Petty and the Heartbreakers released 13 studio albums, with the most recent, 2014’s Hypnotic Eye, marking their only No. 1 LP.

Petty also released three solo albums over the years, including 1989’s debut, Full Moon Fever, one of his bestselling records, and 2006’s Highway Companion, the most recent under his own name.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tom-petty-dies/

Petty is still alive but not expected to live throughout the day.

Damn :( Saw this earlier. Pretty devastating. The day of his last show in Van, a friend and I were making every last ditch effort to get a ticket without completely breaking the bank. After I had tried earlier to get tickets too. I would have loved to see that show, wish I had just bucked up. 

One of my fav Classic Rock artists, so many classics, such a great songwriter. This really sucks, RIP. 

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Wait seriously?

I saw floyd/division bell with my uncle in the early 90s but would give anything to see them again

At the Thunderbird?  I was there!  And yes his world tour is in town soon..I thought was the 8th but is actually the 28th and 29th....seen footage....it looks INSANE!!! 

2 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Sorry.  I went to The Wall..was at BC..you're right.  IDK if they can do the stage show he's been doing elsewhere right at Rogers..  

Water's "Wall" tour had both a stadium and arena set-up. He played Vancouver twice, once at each venue.

Difficult to say which show was better but the sound was much nicer at Rogers.

Archived