The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anders Nilsson | #31 | G

-AJ-

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Nilsson plays great for Sweden, not so much for Vancouver

Proof that hockey is a team game....Team Sweden is a better team than the Canucks (Canucks are a bad team)....can't have one without the other (i.e., need a good goalie to have a good team and need a good team to have a good goalie). Without both of these on the team, the team struggles. 

This is a good example of Nilsson proving he is a good goaltender.

Team Canada's goalies, on the other hand, were mediocre at best, the reason why Canada did not medal. If they had better goaltending, they would have been playing for gold.

6 hours ago, Pete M said:

Congrats to Nilsson on winning gold and being named to the tournament all-star team. 

Proof is in the pudding...Nilsson is a good goalie and therefore, our "D" sucks. Too many fire drills in our own end and unable to make the first pass.

On the other hand, Sweden's "D" made the first pass and limited the fire drills by moving the puck (making the first pass) and skating it out on the rush.Very mobile "D" and physical when need be.

Making the first pass is so important in the game of hockey.

Agree that Cloutier needs to go and bring in a Swedish goalie coach to work with the two Swedes.

While that may or may not be true, Nilsson was a fundamentally different goalie at the world's than he was during the Vancouver regular season.   He was quoted a couple of times as saying he made "adjustments" but if you watch some footage from Canuck season, he follows puck with his head but NOT his body and instead relies upon reflexes which can make one overcompensate.   At the world's, he had his body follow his head so he was consistently square with the shooters.   Probably one of the best examples of direct compare is the shootout he took in NHL this year versus the Gold Medal shootout.   The difference is dramatic in how he squares and keeps his shoulders perpendicular to a straight line to the puck.   For a big goalie, this can be key else you are a rebound machine and often will not have your short-side well covered.    

Instead of questioning the Canuck defense (a group that when the top four were actually all in the lineup, the team SV%, GAA and even winning % were dramatically better than season averages...in fact points pace was close to playoffs +/- a couple of points), I think Canuck fans should wonder about goalie coaching to some degree.   

21 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

While that may or may not be true, Nilsson was a fundamentally different goalie at the world's than he was during the Vancouver regular season.   He was quoted a couple of times as saying he made "adjustments" but if you watch some footage from Canuck season, he follows puck with his head but NOT his body and instead relies upon reflexes which can make one overcompensate.   At the world's, he had his body follow his head so he was consistently square with the shooters.   Probably one of the best examples of direct compare is the shootout he took in NHL this year versus the Gold Medal shootout.   The difference is dramatic in how he squares and keeps his shoulders perpendicular to a straight line to the puck.   For a big goalie, this can be key else you are a rebound machine and often will not have your short-side well covered.    

Instead of questioning the Canuck defense (a group that when the top four were actually all in the lineup, the team SV%, GAA and even winning % were dramatically better than season averages...in fact points pace was close to playoffs +/- a couple of points), I think Canuck fans should wonder about goalie coaching to some degree.   

It is written, so it shall be...it is worrisome.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, aliboy said:

I'm fine if they keep him, but he may have gained some value due to the world's, so if they feel he needs a fresh start he might just be worth something, especially as part of a package.

I still hope they trade him and bring Demko up as backup. I have no idea if that has been considered by Benning and Green.

Demko is 23 years old and proved himself in the AHL last season...is there any reason why he cannot be our backup this year?

On 5/23/2018 at 9:12 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Nilsson plays great for Sweden, not so much for Vancouver

Or maybe he's just average. His numbers with other NHL clubs are also pretty below average.

Maybe he knew he was playing small sample set of games so he decided to give 110% so he doesn't lose his spot to Demko? 

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Or maybe he's just average. His numbers with other NHL clubs are also pretty below average.

Maybe he knew he was playing small sample set of games so he decided to give 110% so he doesn't lose his spot to Demko? 

Or just maybe the D-corp or systems sweden employed were a step up from ours, making him look that much better.

• 1 month later...

Kinda surprised nobody’s posted this yet:

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-anders-nilsson-lgbtq-gay-players-hockey

Nilsson made a really strong statement about homophobia in hockey culture and the need to change these attitudes, which as he notes, are completely unacceptable in this day and age.

Article (inside spoiler):

In the rigid, don’t-be-different culture that exists in hockey, Anders Nilsson is willing to make his voice heard.

The Canucks’ backup goaltender, who once dressed up as Spider-Man for his kid’s birthday and uploaded the video to social media, isn’t afraid to be different.

Nilsson is an active voice in support of LGBTQ rights. He has a rainbow Pride flag painted on the back of his goalie mask and was named ‘Hetero of the Year’ by an LGBTQ awards show in Sweden in February.

“For me, it is really important to be a good role model and show that hockey is for everyone. Especially when it comes to kids and teenagers,” Nilsson said after winning the award. “Everyone should feel welcomed to play hockey, no matter your sexual orientation, religion, or race.”

There aren’t many professional hockey players that are willing and able tackle this topic like this in the NHL – a league that’s still waiting to welcome its first openly-gay player.

Speaking recently with Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet, Nilsson didn’t mince words when speaking about the issue.

“I have friends who are gay in both Sweden and the United States, and some do not even dare to tell their families,” Nilsson said(thanks Google Translate), explaining why he first put a rainbow flag on the back of his goalie mask while a member of the Buffalo Sabres.

“I did not really understand before how much you do can mean to someone else. But what you can do as a professional ice hockey player is so important. I hope more people can understand it.”

Nilsson acknowledged that the Pride flag is just a small step. Hockey culture has a long way to go.

“It is the culture that is toughest,” he said.

“It is said that there should be 3-4 players on every team are homosexuals… but no, definitely not. They have stopped when they were children. They have not dared to continue playing.”

When homophobic slurs are normalized in hockey dressing rooms, it has a way of discouraging gay players from playing the sport, he says.

“If I had been gay, I would have quit hockey when I was a teenager.”

Nilsson spoke about the need to “fit in” in team sports.

“They are scared. No one dares take the step because they are afraid to stand out and lose friends in their team or to look different to them. Community needs in male sports are very strong. Everyone does as the others do.”

Hockey culture, more than most other sports, is defined by conforming. Be humble, be unselfish, don’t say anything to make you stand out from the rest of the group.

“What’s happening is that we will not get a gay player, and it may be next Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid or Wayne Gretzky, we do not know.”

The attitude needs to change at the grassroots level, Nilsson said.

In a video posted to the website, Nilsson was even bolder in his stance, acknowledging the problem and encouraging people to take responsibility.

Video (via Instagram and in Swedish):

Translated transcript of video:

It’s said that no homosexual would survive in a hockey locker room. I believe it’s true.

I’ve heard so much s***, jokes, and idiotic comments.

Macho culture in a locker room is very tough, especially for young boys.

A lot tougher than for us professional hockey players.

“You play like a f***ing pussy?”

“Are you gay or what?”

If you’re different, you will hear it. If you stick out in the wrong way, you’ll get teased.

Young boys are too afraid to be themselves.

Some are too afraid to even begin to play hockey. Others stop prematurely.

We’re convincing young kids that no homosexual can play hockey. In Sweden. 2018.

It’s sickening.

It’s time to take responsibility. Now.

We don’t only lose good hockey players, we lose the pride in hockey.

For every young boy who’s afraid to come out is one loss too many.

I need to take responsibility, you need to take responsibility.

Because this isn’t just about your brother, your friend, your father or your son.

This is about the entire hockey’s future and how we want that future to be.

This s*** is over now, it should be over a long time ago.

I belong in hockey.

You belong in hockey.

Get dressed, come out.

32 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I just wish Anders Nilsson was good at his job. He sucked last year. Although our D certainly doesn't help much.

I hope JB tries to trade this guy so that Demko can be the #2 but that doesn't look like it is going to happen.

If Demko comes in and impresses, Nilsson could well get waived -- not likely to get picked up either.  Then next year when his contract expires we should see DiPietro in Utica to replace him.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

If Demko comes in and impresses, Nilsson could well get waived -- not likely to get picked up either.  Then next year when his contract expires we should see DiPietro in Utica to replace him.

Man I hope this happens. Demko is going to be 23 years old in a few months. He is old enough and has enough experience in the AHL to move up hopefully. 

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Man I hope this happens. Demko is going to be 23 years old in a few months. He is old enough and has enough experience in the AHL to move up hopefully. 

Demko has a real shot at stealing the backup role from Nilsson this year. I too am hoping to see it happen.

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

It's all about playing time IMO. He's likely better of starting in Utica than backing up, with limited action, here.

We'll have a better idea where he's at in September. 

• 2 months later...

What a season debut for the Swede.  33 saves on 34 shots, 0.971 save percentage despite getting peppered early (his team getting tripled in shots at one point) and getting no help from his D-group.

Really hope he can keep this up and maybe even dethrone Markstrom!!  

Good quotes from Nilsson in the latest “Athletties” (Botchford):

https://theathletic.com/591105/2018/10/17/the-athletties-the-flow-rises-hutton-cometh-green-shines-and-an-ode-to-dekey-pete/

Of course, we’ve heard similar things from Nilsson in the past, and he’s had similar short term stretches of stellar play, so we’ll have to see if it lasts. But I like the idea of him wanting to bear down this offseason, do everything he could to improve, finish his year with a dominant WHC, and hopefully have already been a better player even before Clark got his hands on him.

Ian Clark can work wonders with a motivated goalie who’s ready to put in the time and effort. Definitely sounds like Nilsson is in a good place right now, and that the new player-coach relationship is yielding positive results:

“I really wanted to end the season a positive note, that’s why it was so important for me to play in the World Championship,” Nilsson said.

“I really bore down and I did everything I could to get back to the level that I know I can play with.

“It was nice for the confidence and really good for my peace of mind.

“I reminded myself that if I do the right things, my game is still there.”

It’s sure been there to start this season and part of that has been his relationship with goalie coach Ian Clark.

“The first time I met him, I knew he had a lot of experience, and he knows what he’s talking about,” Nilsson said. “He had some ideas, some changes he believed I had to make to be a better goalie.

“To be a more consistent goalie. I agreed with him.

“I worked on it every day in practice.

“I was thinking about it every day. It’s two different worlds you’re working at the same time. Making changes in practice and then letting go in the games so you’re not thinking about it.”

• 1 month later...

Archived