The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Assets

mmead

So there seems to be a consensus amongst fans that we aren't making the playoffs.  there are a great deal of players who are ending there contract this year.  What are the future plans for these players?  Below are the expiring contracts (there are a few I didn't include because they are literally less then nothing or the Sedins who are here until they retire)

Vanek - Trade before deadline

Baertschi / Granlund - Resign one, trade the other (we have Goldobin, Gaudette, Dahlen and Petterson one of whom should be able to slot up for next year at least)

Burmistrov - wait and see how he performs this season

Virtanen - Re-sign

Gudbranson - Trade before deadline

hutton/Stetcher/Pouliot - re-sign consider trading one with Granlund/Baertschi for a better prospect/picks

Biega - Re-sign for depth

Bachman - trade if possible if not release

Megna/Chaput - Either trade for playoff team depth (doubtful) or release/re-sign for depth

Boucher - wait and see how he performs this season

Rodin - Wait and see how he performs, If not part of the future trade away

Subban - Get rid of him for anything he has no place on this team

Holm - Wait and see how he performs.

Just curious what others thoughts are.

TBH everyones on the trading block for reasonable assets. Granlund may replace the Sedins as the #2c if they retire this year. I don't see Baertschi on our long term plans. How defensively responsible is Baertschi?

This is a nice draft coming up and would love to get more picks, especially in the 1st  2 rounds.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:45 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

its possible that this team is competitive enough at the TDL that no moves are made.... but who knows. We really have to wait and see on this. 

We all know we are not winning the cup anytime soon. I would say that if the opportunity arises that we can get more picks/prospects via trade we need to now at the beginning so we do have options when the new core is competitive enough to have those assets to trade to make a real run. 

On 10/3/2017 at 6:12 PM, mmead said:

So there seems to be a consensus amongst fans that we aren't making the playoffs.  there are a great deal of players who are ending there contract this year.  What are the future plans for these players?  Below are the expiring contracts (there are a few I didn't include because they are literally less then nothing or the Sedins who are here until they retire)

Vanek - Trade before deadline

Baertschi / Granlund - Resign one, trade the other (we have Goldobin, Gaudette, Dahlen and Petterson one of whom should be able to slot up for next year at least)

Burmistrov - wait and see how he performs this season

Virtanen - Re-sign

Gudbranson - Trade before deadline

hutton/Stetcher/Pouliot - re-sign consider trading one with Granlund/Baertschi for a better prospect/picks

Biega - Re-sign for depth

Bachman - trade if possible if not release

Megna/Chaput - Either trade for playoff team depth (doubtful) or release/re-sign for depth

Boucher - wait and see how he performs this season

Rodin - Wait and see how he performs, If not part of the future trade away

Subban - Get rid of him for anything he has no place on this team

Holm - Wait and see how he performs.

Just curious what others thoughts are.

Something similar to this was posted a while back if I recall.

Outside of a few of the future UFA vets (eg. Vanek or Burmistrov) what's hurry about moving a guy like Baertschi and or Granlund? I suspect both of those guys will be around for another 3 - 5 years (in particular Granlund). Unless they want way too much money, or another team comes calling with a crazy-rich kind of offer then they will becomes for some time to come.

You don't mention guys like Gaunce, Gagner or Del Zotto. Depending on how some of the other guys develop, each of these three could be gone.

Vanek - Yeah, he will likely be gone by the TDL as according to the team plan.

Baertschi / Granlund - Not a chance these guys are moved. "Not a chance" as in, there's very little to no chance.

Burmistrov - If he plays well then the Canucks may well try to keep him. In that case, contract talks will determine if they try to move him at the TDL.

Virtanen - No brainer. :)

Gudbranson - The only way they trade him is if he wants way too much money (and there should be a lot available). If he has a bad season, the team nay well try to keep him at a cheap(ish) contract).

hutton/Stetcher/Pouliot - If one of these guys stinks out the joint, then the team will try to move them. Otherwise, they are all back in some capacity for next season.

Biega - Yup.

Bachman - he's a UFA, so just don't re-sign if that is what the team wants.

Megna/Chaput - They will likely be signed for depth.

Boucher - Qualifying offer, signed, possibly Uttica, or maybe traded for a mid-lower pick.

Rodin - I don't see a future for him here. He hasn't shown that he is better than anyone else competing for a top-6 job.

Subban - A bit harsh. I think he can find a job in the NHL. I'm just not sure it will be in Vancouver.

Holm - Another guy who could make it with all the tools he has. I expect he will be traded or released to return to Sweden or find a spot with some other NHL team. Good luck to him.

regards,  G.

I'd keep Gudbranson, you need a few sturdy guys to put some fear into opposing wingers. Unless he wants a gazillion dollars.... But we have no real standouts on the back end to be honest so it might be status quo for a bit, quality by quantity, defense be commitee... Hope the smallish finesse guys can play defense.

If the Sedin's Retire your going to have to keep guys Baertschi, Granlund at the very least as stop gaps until Petterson develops etc etc even then our depth will be underwelming compared NHL standards. But I like Granlund so far as a second liner. Maybe Burmistrov is in this list of top six guys. This year will be a year for Virtanen to show his worth, but I'd sign him for his grit alone. But this all hinges on the Sedins...

Vanek should be a chip... hopefully he plays well with the sedins and garners us a good pick, looks like he can still skate, pass and shoot...

The AHL guys are just that, depth.

Zotto and Vanek are the two most likely trade assets at TDL. Burmi so far has shown me nothing to believe he has much value, but a lot can change over the course of the season. It's interesting to see what happens on the wings. Lots of bodies, not to mention all the centers we have that can play wing too.

Of course knowing our luck we make the playoffs and miss out on a top 5 pick in a pretty great draft. I'm not completely opposed to playoffs, but Dahlin, Svechnikov, or Boqvist would be sooooooo nice. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Zotto and Vanek are the two most likely trade assets at TDL. Burmi so far has shown me nothing to believe he has much value, but a lot can change over the course of the season. It's interesting to see what happens on the wings. Lots of bodies, not to mention all the centers we have that can play wing too.

Of course knowing our luck we make the playoffs and miss out on a top 5 pick in a pretty great draft. I'm not completely opposed to playoffs, but Dahlin, Svechnikov, or Boqvist would be sooooooo nice. 

I'm happy with playoffs. I wouldn't be happy just missing them

14 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Something similar to this was posted a while back if I recall.

Outside of a few of the future UFA vets (eg. Vanek or Burmistrov) what's hurry about moving a guy like Baertschi and or Granlund? I suspect both of those guys will be around for another 3 - 5 years (in particular Granlund). Unless they want way too much money, or another team comes calling with a crazy-rich kind of offer then they will becomes for some time to come.

You don't mention guys like Gaunce, Gagner or Del Zotto. Depending on how some of the other guys develop, each of these three could be gone.

Vanek - Yeah, he will likely be gone by the TDL as according to the team plan.

Baertschi / Granlund - Not a chance these guys are moved. "Not a chance" as in, there's very little to no chance.

Burmistrov - If he plays well then the Canucks may well try to keep him. In that case, contract talks will determine if they try to move him at the TDL.

Virtanen - No brainer. :)

Gudbranson - The only way they trade him is if he wants way too much money (and there should be a lot available). If he has a bad season, the team nay well try to keep him at a cheap(ish) contract).

hutton/Stetcher/Pouliot - If one of these guys stinks out the joint, then the team will try to move them. Otherwise, they are all back in some capacity for next season.

Biega - Yup.

Bachman - he's a UFA, so just don't re-sign if that is what the team wants.

Megna/Chaput - They will likely be signed for depth.

Boucher - Qualifying offer, signed, possibly Uttica, or maybe traded for a mid-lower pick.

Rodin - I don't see a future for him here. He hasn't shown that he is better than anyone else competing for a top-6 job.

Subban - A bit harsh. I think he can find a job in the NHL. I'm just not sure it will be in Vancouver.

Holm - Another guy who could make it with all the tools he has. I expect he will be traded or released to return to Sweden or find a spot with some other NHL team. Good luck to him.

regards,  G.

Only reason I didn't mention gange and del zotto is they aren't expiring this year and you don't see many non rental players flipped at the deadline

2 hours ago, mmead said:

Only reason I didn't mention gange and del zotto is they aren't expiring this year and you don't see many non rental players flipped at the deadline

True enough on your point. i was looking at this from the perspective of those who suggest trading away guys sooner rather than later, as an example, Jannick Hansen. There were folks who wanted him gone when he had two years still on his deal rather than the one when he was moved. Not saying I agree with this view.

This being said, I could see Gagner or Del Zotto being moved, if someone comes calling with the right deal or depending on team circumstances. They do have pretty reasonable deals and they would only have one or two years left. Del Zotto in particular could be vulnerable to trade if Pouliot starts to find his stride.

regards,  G.

On 10/6/2017 at 0:10 PM, Gollumpus said:

True enough on your point. i was looking at this from the perspective of those who suggest trading away guys sooner rather than later, as an example, Jannick Hansen. There were folks who wanted him gone when he had two years still on his deal rather than the one when he was moved. Not saying I agree with this view.

This being said, I could see Gagner or Del Zotto being moved, if someone comes calling with the right deal or depending on team circumstances. They do have pretty reasonable deals and they would only have one or two years left. Del Zotto in particular could be vulnerable to trade if Pouliot starts to find his stride.

regards,  G.

I agree that either could be moved with their contracts.... I would hope that Guddy is also on the block with if there was a handshake deal in place to be resigned the next year.  

So if we are going to miss the playoffs you have Vanek, Guddy, MDZ and possibly Sam on the trade block.  There are always a few FA's every year that could replace anyone on that list except Guddy. 

I think this is the way that they are keeping ownership happy and also allowing for extra assets if we fall out of a playoff spot.  Might not be as "sure" as a lottery pick but its a valid strategy.   

I think another, very, movable asset is Tryamkin. With his performance last year, I could see a lot of teams jumping at the opportunity to add him.

I think it's too early to start putting players on the trade block. We're undefeated and fighting for first place. 

Let's enjoy the win streak and appreciate the team we have for a while before running them over with a bus.

Archived