The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lightning winger J.T. Brown receives death threats after raising fist during American anthem [Update]

Roberts

1 minute ago, gerry35 said:

Really, only white folks want to kill blacks? Last time I checked there were good and bad people of all races. Many black people as well have threatened to kill white people or cops with not a peep from certain people.  Many of us are tired of these types of games, that always make things about race, I could care less about the colour of someones skin but look to their character instead. What would you say if a white NHL player raised his fist of some other similar protest if a black man killed or hurt a friend of his or maybe a policeman? A "Black power" salute is heroic but a "White power" one would the most awful thing to do? 

Brown has the right to do what he wants but he is also free to accept the consequences of what he does and can also be criticised. There may be individual cases of racism but over all it is a myth that black people are oppressed these days by the police. Some of the police shootings that caused so much rioting it turned out they were justified shootings. Look at Michael Brown for instance.

NFL rating are plummeting because so many are tired of being told they are a racist only because they are white when they know they are not. I'm not going to be made to feel ashamed because of the colour of my skin and no one else should be either. I do want politics to stay out of sports though, we have enough other crap to deal with and don't need sports figures to tell us what to do. 

There is a real problem in some black communities with crime and in others there are good law abiding citizens just like the rest of us, all but one of the black people I have met have been in the latter group. I treat them with the respect they deserve and they do the same to me. Same with my Aboriginal friends. What is really going on in the U.S. is a continuation of the race and class war started in the Obama administration, there are people with a vested interest to divide us for political purposes.

That's literally not what he said. But it happens to be predominantly white people upset with him over this.. yeah, race is obviously an element.. I don't play the race card because most of the time it's garbage and unwarranted, but that's precisely the case here. 

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Considering the courage of the first responders in the recent Vegas shootings, and how it reminded us (or should have) of those first responders in 9-11, maybe these protestors should think about all the brave officers - who daily risk their lives for us - before they raise their fists?

Only black people are victimized, period, goes the narrative by the organizers of the initial cause, when you brush away all the posturing. 

- So standing in a privately owned space with all the employees and "fans", is a smart way to protest police brutality? 

Such a tiny, tiny portion of the population, but has all the supposed police problems. Where are all the Asians and their protests? They are a bigger demographic. Perhaps they enjoy the freedoms here more than the victimhood opportunities. 

Free Speech

A black guy rocking out a posturing of a Black Panther fist is great, as long as the next guy can exercise the same racial ID/empowerment thing. This is not allowed here, heck not even statues are safe.

These flakes participating as useful idiots and pawns for the business of ID politics are the face of Ignorance. I mean, are these sport star jocks really up on the politics as much as the next guy, even? This is a farce and though well-bedunked, still treading water in the white-guilt reparation crowd. 

Go thank a cop today. One better, be a ride along. Go learn something about what being a cop is and even then you still won't know the first thing about being put in their shoes, as a job. Police brutality, sure, good one; approaching cops with weapons and resisting arrest isn't a good idea, neither is the protesting of the result. 

Can we not have politics in sports?

I am so sick of having political view points rammed down my throat everywhere I look. 

Sports used to be a get away from politics for people and has now been tarnished. 

The reason why people don't like protests during the anthem is because regardless of people's differences they shared one common uniting factor of we're all American. I hate identity politics and I'm tired of both sides of the aisle, all this does is create division.

15 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I think Lin handled it beautifully though. He didn't strike back. He handled it with class and dignity and something tells me Martin hopefully learned a valuable lesson because of it.

No, he didn't. He made that fake "apology" to try and save a bit of face while he still could but you could tell he genuinely meant what he said about Lin's dreads in the first place.

2 hours ago, on the cycle said:

Can we not have politics in sports?

I am so sick of having political view points rammed down my throat everywhere I look. 

Sports used to be a get away from politics for people and has now been tarnished. 

The reason why people don't like protests during the anthem is because regardless of people's differences they shared one common uniting factor of we're all American. I hate identity politics and I'm tired of both sides of the aisle, all this does is create division.

I'd like to shake your hand for that.

Well said. 

2 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

No, he didn't. He made that fake "apology" to try and save a bit of face while he still could but you could tell he genuinely meant what he said about Lin's dreads in the first place.

Yeah, sadly part of me knew he likely wouldn't learn. Human ego is a powerfully misguided thing. It's so hard for us to admit we're wrong. I am victim of this myself from time to time.

23 hours ago, King Heffy said:

And ignorant losers show exactly why protests like this are necessary.  Hopefully they get prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law (but I doubt it considering the current administration has absolutely no issue with hate speech).

It doesn't really have anything to do with the current administration (even though they're not helping matters). Unlike Canada, and most countries that have some sort of democratic system, the US doesn't really have any laws against hate speech.

21 hours ago, Tystick said:

JT has every right to raise his fist, but don't be complaining when you start receiving negative attention.

I think the players should just leave this political stuff out of hockey tbh.

agreed and for Canada two family members have been in wars  my grandpa was in WW2

There is a time and place for free speech but being a player for a league thats all about the game and fans they should keep that stuff for interviews before and after games.

Shows more respect then to have it upsetting anyone watching sports.

On 2017-10-08 at 5:14 PM, Alflives said:

Considering the courage of the first responders in the recent Vegas shootings, and how it reminded us (or should have) of those first responders in 9-11, maybe these protestors should think about all the brave officers - who daily risk their lives for us - before they raise their fists?

This has literally nothing to do with that.  

This is classic Trumping Alf. 

This is about raising awareness about injustice. 

This is about freedom of speech and peaceful protest. 

This has nothing to do with disrespecting the flag or the army.  

Excited States of America. 

So much for being a melting pot. 

So much for the FIRST amendment. 

The civil rights of none shall be abridged on account of religious belief or worship, nor shall any national religion be established, nor shall the full and equal rights of conscience be in any manner, or on any pretext, infringed. The people shall not be deprived or abridged of their right to speak, to write, or to publish their sentiments; and the freedom of the press, as one of the great bulwarks of liberty, shall be inviolable. The people shall not be restrained from peaceably assembling and consulting for their common good; nor from applying to the Legislature by petitions, or remonstrances, for redress of their grievances.

47 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Excited States of America. 

So much for being a melting pot. 

So much for the FIRST amendment. 

The civil rights of none shall be abridged on account of religious belief or worship, nor shall any national religion be established, nor shall the full and equal rights of conscience be in any manner, or on any pretext, infringed. The people shall not be deprived or abridged of their right to speak, to write, or to publish their sentiments; and the freedom of the press, as one of the great bulwarks of liberty, shall be inviolable. The people shall not be restrained from peaceably assembling and consulting for their common good; nor from applying to the Legislature by petitions, or remonstrances, for redress of their grievances.

First amendment doesnt apply on private property also the players collective bargaining agreement supersede any laws.

1 minute ago, Violator said:

First amendment doesnt apply on private property also the players collective bargaining agreement supersede any laws.

So you're saying you can't voice your opinion? Maybe the issue is there's a difference between your individual opinion and that of your employer. 

Or perhaps people are forgetting what freedom actually means? 

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So you're saying you can't voice your opinion? Maybe the issue is there's a difference between your individual opinion and that of your employer. 

Or perhaps people are forgetting what freedom actually means? 

The first amendment protects your opinion on public property not in private places.its also up to the owner of that building to accept your opinion or reject it.Freedom means whatever the majority believes or has the force to uphold those freedoms.

4 hours ago, cripplereh said:

agreed and for Canada two family members have been in wars  my grandpa was in WW2

There is a time and place for free speech but being a player for a league thats all about the game and fans they should keep that stuff for interviews before and after games.

Shows more respect then to have it upsetting anyone watching sports.

Exactly.

Plus, it's an overall ineffective protest IMO.

13 hours ago, Tystick said:

Exactly.

Plus, it's an overall ineffective protest IMO.

I have to disagree with you. The protest isn't designed to create immediate change, but we are certainly talking about police brutality far more than we would have without the protest.

Sure, the protest has also come with misunderstandings and other focuses that were not planned, but it has done an excellent job of creating discussion on something those protesting believe to be an issue. Whether you agree with the protest or not, it has been effective in its mission. 

Sooner or later this is going to continue to get out of control to the point where they may just ban the Anthem all together. Personally I don't want it banned but in their eyes, the easiest way to escape it all they may ask to stop playing the Anthem. Sure it will cause some controversy, but it won't last as long as the controversy with the protesting during the Anthem as long as they continue doing the Anthems.

20 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah, sadly part of me knew he likely wouldn't learn. Human ego is a powerfully misguided thing. It's so hard for us to admit we're wrong. I am victim of this myself from time to time.

It's sad in an era where we are all supposed to get along that concerns over culture appropriation exist.  Instead of being proud to see others being influenced, too many go on the offensive trying to keep culture for their own race.  Segregation is supposed to be a bad thing, last I heard. 

47 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I have to disagree with you. The protest isn't designed to create immediate change, but we are certainly talking about police brutality far more than we would have without the protest.

Sure, the protest has also come with misunderstandings and other focuses that were not planned, but it has done an excellent job of creating discussion on something those protesting believe to be an issue. Whether you agree with the protest or not, it has been effective in its mission. 

But what if the underlying belief is misdirected, and pursuing that line makes things worse for those who the protesters are trying to support?  Too much unwarranted blame is being cast upon the police.  If they are angry about it, some police may act more forcefully.  Others may well just back away from certain areas, allowing crime to rise there.  Neither of those are good results for predominantly black communities.

It's fine that JT is protesting (and wonderful that it is a peaceful protest), assuming there isn't a team or league rule about it.  Free speech is only a protection against the government.  I just wish he could see the bigger picture, and focus his protest efforts to a more real issue impacting black people.

It is sickening that JT is getting threats over this.  Hopefully those clowns get punished.

Archived