The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lightning winger J.T. Brown receives death threats after raising fist during American anthem [Update]

Roberts

15 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no i'm pretty sure I meant rednecks. Grew up with lots of them, they don't mind the moniker. And self-identified "patriots" don't have a corner on free speech, or what the flag means either. 

You know if Tom Brady knelt before a game as a protest all those upset good old boys would be curious to know more, not begin yelling about who's the bigger patriot. 

The definition of redneck from Dictionary.com is as follows

noun
1. an uneducated white farm laborer, especially from the South.
2.a bigot or reactionary, especially from the rural working class.

So yes, in the context you used this I would say it was used as an insult. You can deny it all you want or you can make amends, your choice. 

Bottom line, just because someone has an opinion different from yours, name calling is never the answer. Keep it on the high.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Since you're in here giving minuses to thought, what is your stance on this whole knee-taking, fist raising, fiasco? 

I give minuses to people who have to resort to straw-mans. I'd hardly constitute them as a 'thought'. It's more of a weak attempt to deflect. Unfortunately there's more of them in this thread than I have minuses to hand out. That includes yours.

Here's my take. If you have to resort to a straw man to prove your point, you've already lost the argument. Are you able to put forth a good argument without including a straw man?

1 hour ago, Ding-Dong said:

Patriots like Nate Boyer and Colin Kaepernick understand that American citizens have the right to protest. 

The word you're looking for is Nationlist:

Nationalism, ideology based on the premise that the individual’s loyalty and devotion to the nation-state surpass other individual or group interests.

In this particular case, it's safe to say it's blind nationlism

Like I've been saying, this right is only a right when the individual is on their own time. You are not free to do what you wish when on the clock, many employers, including the NFL and the NHL have standards of conduct but in this instance, they are choosing to not enforce them. 

Just now, GarthButcher5 said:

Like I've been saying, this right is only a right when the individual is on their own time. You are not free to do what you wish when on the clock, many employers, including the NFL and the NHL have standards of conduct but in this instance, they are choosing to not enforce them. 

I don't think you understand how 'Rights' work in the case of protests. They refer to protection from the Government, not your employer. They protested full well knowing the consequences they could face from their employer. That's why JT Brown spoke to and received approval from his employer prior to his protest. 

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Excellent point. But I'm going to have to use your post as a leading indicator of accepted language in the forums. 

I was suspended for a week here by Stealth for using a racial slur. (not in a racist, hateful context, FTR, just like yours) 

Redneck, is a racial slur.

I'm not going to report you, as I'm sure I was, but more interested in if anyone else does. Hope you don't get suspended and all, but fair is fair. This is a trivial thing to me/us, but indicative of our culture today: It's ok to bash whites, just not anyone else. 

Should I take a knee, folks? 

Consider this a racism test.

Let's see which race is actually slurred and just accepted as the norm. 

When i was busy compiling a list of slurs against white people in the forum, it was 34 or something, in response to Warhippy calling me out for it, I was suspended before I could post those results. Last I checked it was only 6 or so instances, a solid cleaning effort, minus the suspension I assume. Make it 7 now, I guess. 

Edit -

search results are down to two instance of the word and zero of the white trash ref as well. Looks like the field is being levelled, better late than never, so I am pleased. Thanks Stealth. 

No it isn't a racial slur. Redneck isn't a race. Its a commentary on people that actually call themselves rednecks, like this guy:

I'm not accusing anyone specifically on CDC of this either. If the mods have an issue with it @StealthNuck can message me if he thinks I've used it inappropriately, but people I grew up with call themselves this, as well as a lot of people in the US.

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

The definition of redneck from Dictionary.com is as follows

noun

1. an uneducated white farm laborer, especially from the South.
2.a bigot or reactionary, especially from the rural working class.

So yes, in the context you used this I would say it was used as an insult. You can deny it all you want or you can make amends, your choice. 

Bottom line, just because someone has an opinion different from yours, name calling is never the answer. Keep it on the high.

make amends for what? Jeff Foxworthy? 

Lots of people define themselves in this way, they're proud of it. And if one of their own or someone they admire like a white QB took the knee, Trump wouldn't be able to use it as he has been, and people would have their ears open vs. their mouths. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

make amends for what? Jeff Foxworthy? 

Lots of people define themselves in this way, they're proud of it. And if one of their own or someone they admire like a white QB took the knee, Trump wouldn't be able to use it as he has been, and people would have their ears open vs. their mouths. 

Context is very important when defining insulting terminology. There are plenty of words that are harmless when used in the proper context, but when you use the term in a degrading context, it becomes a problem. 

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It's in the slur database as is white trash.

Anyways, I hope the rest of you refused to open any of the articles out there attempting to capitalize on this drama. TSN has several. I refuse to support any of it, but in here I think nobody is making a living off of this at least. 

The slur database. Where can I find that? I feel like being offended.

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It's in the slur database as is white trash.

Anyways, I hope the rest of you refused to open any of the articles out there attempting to capitalize on this drama. TSN has several. I refuse to support any of it, but in here I think nobody is making a living off of this at least. 

The slur database. Where can I find that? I feel like being offended.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Context is very important when defining insulting terminology. There are plenty of words that are harmless when used in the proper context, but when you use the term in a degrading context, it becomes a problem. 

this is fascinating.... sort of like when one person says they are protesting bad police officers, and someone else co-opts the discussion and says no its about disrespecting veterans. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I didn't use it as a slur. I used it regarding people that self-idenitfy as rednecks. 

Totally. I've never heard redneck being considered a slur before. Being of predominantly Irish origin, I tend to go a beautiful lobster red in the summer before settling down to a more golden brown.

I'm not a huge proponent of sunscreen so I tend to get all exposed parts burned at one point or another (my wife has harassed me about SPF). I've been called a real redneck due to my appearance, and at no time did that send me into a flurry of despair and self-hate.

Now, I've gotten into dustups after someone referred to me as a paddy, mick, or other derisions, but I've never seen anyone called a redneck take it with anything more than a grain of salt. I have cousins from Alabama and Florida who proudly call themselves as such, and if they've been called rednecks, they smile and nod.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Totally. I've never heard redneck being considered a slur before. Being of predominantly Irish origin, I tend to go a beautiful lobster red in the summer before settling down to a more golden brown.

I'm not a huge proponent of sunscreen so I tend to get all exposed parts burned at one point or another (my wife has harassed me about SPF). I've been called a real redneck due to my appearance, and at no time did that send me into a flurry of despair and self-hate.

Now, I've gotten into dustups after someone referred to me as a paddy, mick, or other derisions, but I've never seen anyone called a redneck take it with anything more than a grain of salt. I have cousins from Alabama and Florida who proudly call themselves as such, and if they've been called rednecks, they smile and nod.

bingo. If "redneck" and "race" were somehow on the same level anyone with pinkish skin could be lumped in with that, and thats ridiculous. Redneck is a state of mind. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

@ForsbergTheGreat I didn't use it as a slur. I used it regarding people that self-idenitfy as rednecks. 

It's still a slur.  just because some people self-identify as something doesn't make it ok to use.  There is quite a few other words that fall in this category as well. 

The term redneck is a derogatory term chiefly used for a rural poor white person of the Southern United States.[1][2] Its usage is similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Georgia, Texas, [3] and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[4] and white trash (but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).[5][6][7]

By the 1970s, the term had become offensive slang, and its meaning had expanded to mean bigoted, loutish, and opposed to modern ways.

Just as I wouldn't go to the projects and use a term people self identify with, you wouldn't want to go to a real rural community and use that term loosely. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It's still a slur.  just because some people self-identify as something doesn't make it ok to use.  There is quite a few other words that fall in this category as well. 

Just as I wouldn't go to the projects and use a term people self identify with, you wouldn't want to go to a real rural community and use that term loosely. 

no its not a slur if I didn't say it as a slur. You being offended doesn't mean I made a mistake. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

no its not a slur if I didn't say it as a slur. You being offended didn't mean I made a mistake. 

Again, Just as I wouldn't go to the projects and use "a" term people self identify with (even if I don't use it as a slur), you wouldn't want to go to a real rural community and use that term loosely. 

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the reason you wouldn't go to either area and use these terms that people "self-identify" with, is because you wouldn't want to be shot, stabbed, or beaten to death. Not because it isn't politically correct.

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Again, Just as I wouldn't go to the projects and use "a" term people self identify with (even if I don't use it as a slur), you wouldn't want to go to a real rural community and use that term loosely. 

so? this is an online discussion forum. I wouldn't go into the Saddledome and say George Canyon has a fake accent either. 

You can discuss ideas around terms that some people self-identify with and its not a slur. 

Frankly, I have zero time for political correctness. The level of sensitivity that many people operate with nowadays is almost farcical. The overreactions and conclusion jumping that many do these days is beyond understanding.

As well, I will state that any racial slur by any race to another is abhorrent. This excuse that some have been given called "reverse racism" or "reactionary racism" where years of oppression have granted them the right to vent on others, is also nullifying and stupid. 

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the reason you wouldn't go to either area and use these terms that people "self-identify" with, is because you wouldn't want to be shot, stabbed, or beaten to death. Not because it isn't politically correct.

And why would that happen......Hmm likely because people would take offense to it.....

Archived