The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lightning winger J.T. Brown receives death threats after raising fist during American anthem [Update]

Roberts

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Frankly, I have zero time for political correctness. The level of sensitivity that many people operate with nowadays is almost farcical. The overreactions and conclusion jumping that many do these days is beyond understanding.

As well, I will state that any racial slur by any race to another is abhorrent. This excuse that some have been given called "reverse racism" or "reactionary racism" where years of oppression have granted them the right to vent on others, is also nullifying and stupid. 

There are plenty of non racial terms that are very offensive to use.  Like the term girls get called for sleeping around. or the term homosexuals get called, or the term handicapped people get called.  Non of these terms would be acceptable on this discussion board. 

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Frankly, I have zero time for political correctness. The level of sensitivity that many people operate with nowadays is almost farcical. The overreactions and conclusion jumping that many do these days is beyond understanding.

As well, I will state that any racial slur by any race to another is abhorrent. This excuse that some have been given called "reverse racism" or "reactionary racism" where years of oppression have granted them the right to vent on others, is also nullifying and stupid. 

we're down to discussing the existential existence of redneck-ness now :lol:  and really just because someone is offended by something, particularly if its not directed at them or used as a slur, is their problem imo. 

38 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

There are plenty of non racial terms that are very offensive to use.  Like the term girls get called for sleeping around. or the term homosexuals get called, or the term handicapped people get called.  Non of these terms would be acceptable on this discussion board. 

so you want to ban Jeff Foxworthy youtube links? 

there are also all kinds of people on CDC that use the term "libtard" and other "slurs" about people on the left, its expected in a political discussion sometimes, which this is. 

Just to be clear though, are you really putting discussing a term a lot of people use about themselves  on the same level with actually calling someone one of the things your talking about? 

Quite the side discussion.

Of course Jimmy didn't mean any offense, nor did I when I was suspended. 

Point I was making was only just to show how not offended white people are, comparatively, about stereo types and slurs against them. Nobody here is even bothered to shrug, never mind protest the use of the word, exclusively used for referencing White people in our culture. 

FTR, the site went from 34(ish) instances on my initial search of the word redneck, down to 2 since I made some noise. I'm just done with the double standard and want to express my sustain for being every other ethnicy's scratching post, including the "white" cop and "white" institutional racism horse crap. It's time to hold the bar the same for all, in regards to choosing how we reference groups of people. To say redneck is not racist, or some form of it, is like saying Featherhead isn't. Cotton picker, that could be anyone too. Rag head? Etc. Etc. It's obvious that redneck is a derogatory term for whites, as much as these other negative labels. 

Context, yes, is everything, but that didn't stop me from getting a suspension for shortening the word Japanese to refer to a people, where I meant no harm or disrespect, but I get the slur and respect the decision. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we're down to discussing the existential existence of redneck-ness now :lol:  and really just because someone is offended by something, particularly if its not directed at them or used as a slur, is their problem imo. 

I agree.

But I'm making a stand as well.

Time to be fashionably offended, my friend. We mush also cash in on the victimhood business and be felled by identity politics. 

I want my my piece of the wheel-of-offended fun. Next time a non white person says the word redneck I'm going to go full SJW and shriek and demand a safe place for my feelings. Join me down at the rink for a protest gesture during an anthem or something. 

IMG_0570.JPG.8c7e8a646519f09c4312af7e863badf4.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG.6a1893a18bdd860245216d5edbcbcca9.JPGIMG_0530.JPG.9502d5ac111518f5a5d49b4062c0f212.JPGIMG_0581.JPG.c580161308bf02ff8a0680b33805dcc7.JPG

12 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I agree.

But I'm making a stand as well.

Time to be fashionably offended, my friend. We mush also cash in on the victimhood business and be felled by identity politics. 

I want my my piece of the wheel-of-offended fun. Next time a non white person says the word redneck I'm going to go full SJW and shriek and demand a safe place for my feelings. Join me down at the rink for a protest gesture during an anthem or something. 

You may just get that safe place and make new friends. 

But we need to be able to discuss ideas. Some people may love to have the label "SJW" and call themselves that, others may just seem too left to some other person and be called it. But we certainly need to be able to discuss ideas about it otherwise we're all doomed imo. 

Take those guys down in NC, dressing up as neo-Nazi's and carrying their Wal-Mart torches. If I start a discussion about 'hey so these neo-Nazi's down in NC...." and some general Trump supporter gets his back up, well thats not my problem. These people exist in the world. Same as the ANTIFA's and a million other self-identified groups. 

I find the idea that police brutality/racial profiling is nothing but a product of the leftist media to be really overwhelmingly stupid. This has been an issue for a long time. It was an issue during the Obama administration, it was an issue during the LA Riots and Rodney King incident in the 90s. This isn't a left leaning news plot device to undermine a conservative government, it's an American social issue. I've been with minority friends in the states and seen them harassed for no reason by law enforcement. It happens, it's real.

Protests unfortunately do get spun in various lights, and people on both sides are much too quick to get offended. If their employer doesn't take issue with it, there's absolutely zero issue with an individual using their platform to try and stand up for something.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

You may just get that safe place and make new friends. 

But we need to be able to discuss ideas. Some people may love to have the label "SJW" and call themselves that, others may just seem too left to some other person and be called it. But we certainly need to be able to discuss ideas about it otherwise we're all doomed imo. 

Take those guys down in NC, dressing up as neo-Nazi's and carrying their Wal-Mart torches. If I start a discussion about 'hey so these neo-Nazi's down in NC...." and some general Trump supporter gets his back up, well thats not my problem. These people exist in the world. Same as the ANTIFA's and a million other self-identified groups. 

Correct. You're preaching to the choir here.

All humans identify with their tribe and race to some degree. There is lots of science behind this. Racism exists in various degrees, everywhere. 

We enjoy joy living in the riches and freedoms handed down to us by our ancestors. Many folks don't get that somebody before them did all the dirty work to get them their latte at Starbucks, where they comfortably sit and discuss the racist White culture they are in. For hundreds of years, my ancestors fought bears, cleared land and built hospitals and universities, spending their tax dollars to make this place as wonderful as it is. Hearing some immigrant or ghetto thug complain they are being oppressed is disrespectful to the 99% of all folks who've lived, sacrificed and died making these countries great, 90% of whom were also White. Yet, all we read about is how white people have done wrong.

We whites are the cops, brutalizing black people. We whites are the ones holding back women and gays. We whites are greedy capatalists and don't help normal people. It is one long list of whites doing wrong and is fashionable and a culture of the day. Only white people can be racist, is the theme. Only blacks are killed by cops, is the latest message. White cops kill black men is the point. Any serious pushback, not holding a noose and a nazi flag, are largely deemed as rednecks, a derogatory term for poor, ignorant whites. It's time to draw the line somewhere.

Some poser athlete, flying around in a private jet to make Racial gestures during a moment meant for unity and brotherhood, is a loser; a sucker and pawn. Allowing ourselves to be segregated into our corrals for the use of the MSM's agenda is dehumanizing. Worse yet, having the White, and founding, race be mocked by every MTV, SNL and comedian, while demanding this reverse racism tactic be allowed to pull down statues, etc, has to be reigned in. Anyone who openly trashes white people will certainly be hearing from me and I wish everyone made the same expectations for themselves, whatever your shade of melanin is.

The Human Genome Project was supposed to have laid waste to the idea of race. Instead of a Human race, we get drug down into primal squabbling about tribe and state. We need honest conversations about equality, but that is the opposite of today's agenda. 

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

All humans identify with their tribe and race to some degree. There is lots of science behind this. Racism exists in various degrees, everywhere. 

We enjoy joy living in the riches and freedoms handed down to us by our ancestors. Many folks don't get that somebody before them did all the dirty work to get them their latte at Starbucks, where they comfortably sit and discuss the racist White culture they are in. For hundreds of years, my ancestors fought bears, cleared land and built hospitals and universities, spending their tax dollars to make this place as wonderful as it is. Hearing some immigrant or ghetto thug complain they are being oppressed is disrespectful to the 99% of all folks who've lived, sacrificed and died making these countries great, 90% of whom were also White. Yet, all we read about is how white people have done wrong.

We whites are the cops, brutalizing black people. We whites are the ones holding back women and gays. We whites are greedy capatalists and don't help normal people. It is one long list of whites doing wrong and is fashionable and a culture of the day. Only white people can be racist, is the theme. Only blacks are killed by cops, is the latest message. White cops kill black men is the point. Any serious pushback, not holding a noose and a nazi flag, are largely deemed as rednecks, a derogatory term for poor, ignorant whites. It's time to draw the line somewhere.

Some poser athlete, flying around in a private jet to make Racial gestures during a moment meant for unity and brotherhood, is a loser; a sucker and pawn. Allowing ourselves to be segregated into our corrals for the use of the MSM's agenda is dehumanizing. Worse yet, having the founding race be mocked by every MTV, SNL and comedian, while demanding this reverse racism tactic be allowed to pull down statues, etc, has to be reigned in. Anyone who openly trashes white people will certainly be hearing from me and I wish everyone made the same expectations for themselves, whatever your shade of melanin is.

The Human Genome Project was supposed to have laid waste to the idea of race. Instead of a Human race, we get drug down into primal squabbling about tribe and state. We need honest conversations about equality, but that is the opposite of today's agenda. 

Its very hard to separate media from what groups of people are actually thinking these days. It also gets very complicated. I happen to think BLM e.g,. is right about many many things, but i also don't like it when they try to change the participants in pride parades and keep all police out of it. So what does that make me? I dunno, someone with a slightly nuanced opinion? Is there room in the world for that?

"white" is an idea to some degree but its hard to deny who came out better from colonialism don't you think?  was listening to the producer of the show Black-ish the other day and he had some really interesting comments on how the idea of who is white has expanded over the years from just Brits, to eastern europeans to Italian, etc. and he's correct about that.  So clearly there is something going on in terms of privilege otherwise the circle of people included in it wouldn't be widening.

But back to protesting, the NHL is fine with it, let the man speak .

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Its very hard to separate media from what groups of people are actually thinking these days. It also gets very complicated. I happen to think BLM e.g,. is right about many many things, but i also don't like it when they try to change the participants in pride parades and keep all police out of it. So what does that make me? I dunno, someone with a slightly nuanced opinion? Is there room in the world for that?

There's some nuance to the "not wanting police involved in anything" thing too, I think. A lot of people feel pretty heavy betrayed by "good" cops, due to them adhering to the Blue Wall of Silence and not speaking out against some of their more corrupt coworkers. I don't really know what my opinion is on that, personally, but I can understand the sentiment that turning a blind eye to police brutality can feel as if they're condoning it.

But yeah, the news will try and make anything into a binary. I'm a very liberal minded person, but at the same time a lot of what I see out of both the left and right leaning media makes me shake my head. Any sort of social issue/movement is going to attract extremists to both sides. You're going to have people pushing their own agendas under the guise of black-lives-matter, and you're going to have hard leaning racists trying to use these outliers to discredit the whole idea.

It's unfortunate, but people struggle to see beyond the context of how the media portrays things.

2 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

There's some nuance to the "not wanting police involved in anything" thing too, I think. A lot of people feel pretty heavy betrayed by "good" cops, due to them adhering to the Blue Wall of Silence and not speaking out against some of their more corrupt coworkers. I don't really know what my opinion is on that, personally, but I can understand the sentiment that turning a blind eye to police brutality can feel as if they're condoning it.

But yeah, the news will try and make anything into a binary. I'm a very liberal minded person, but at the same time a lot of what I see out of both the left and right leaning media makes me shake my head. Any sort of social issue/movement is going to attract extremists to both sides. You're going to have people pushing their own agendas under the guise of black-lives-matter, and you're going to have hard leaning racists trying to use these outliers to discredit the whole idea.

It's unfortunate, but people struggle to see beyond the context of how the media portrays things.

yup i can see that. For me I think inclusion is almost always better than excluding people and having police participating in the pride stuff is a great message and will build bridges, whereas keeping all police out won't help. But I really don't know, its just my 2 cents. I can see how some people may view that as glossing over other issues. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup i can see that. For me I think inclusion is almost always better than excluding people and having police participating in the pride stuff is a great message and will build bridges, whereas keeping all police out won't help. But I really don't know, its just my 2 cents. I can see how some people may view that as glossing over other issues. 

I think I tend to agree, but I'm also not a minority in America so I can't really speak from that perspective.

Humans want to be treated as humans, and I imagine feeling like you're not being treated that way can lead to a lot of frustration being vented in many directions. Sometimes aimed at the wrong heads.

58 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

"white" is an idea to some degree but its hard to deny who came out better from colonialism don't you think?  was listening to the producer of the show Black-ish the other day and he had some really interesting comments on how the idea of who is white has expanded over the years from just Brits, to eastern europeans to Italian, etc. and he's correct about that.  So clearly there is something going on in terms of privilege otherwise the circle of people included in it wouldn't be widening.

But back to protesting, the NHL is fine with it, let the man speak .

IMG_0577.PNG.093f778d71b4bc533e8fdd119900af27.PNGIMG_0580.JPG.b2469885bb7e9ac9c266e966faaddaf2.JPG

Two schools of though, but broken down into agenda for many.

People will believe what they are told, maybe not you, but look at the masses. It's not what they think, it's how they think, that is the issue. Stats on ratios surrounding this protest and taking responsibility for actions are just not the message people are digesting. 

I think people have no clue what it's like to be a cop, but every idea how cool it is to be a thug. WorldStar! Thuglife! Ya, that's the cool kids, the good stuff. Cops are pigs and kill innocent people, mostly because cops are white and racist. Disagree? You're racist. Have an opinion and you're white, sit down and shut up. This is today. No amount of virtue signalling will build that bridge. 

55 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Some poser athlete, flying around in a private jet to make Racial gestures during a moment meant for unity and brotherhood, is a loser; a sucker and pawn. Allowing ourselves to be segregated into our corrals for the use of the MSM's agenda is dehumanizing. Worse yet, having the White, and founding, race be mocked by every MTV, SNL and comedian, while demanding this reverse racism tactic be allowed to pull down statues, etc, has to be reigned in. Anyone who openly trashes white people will certainly be hearing from me and I wish everyone made the same expectations for themselves, whatever your shade of melanin is.

This is BS and you are sounding very much like a white supremacist. If you want to take credit for your ancestors contributions towards the formation of this country then you also have to take responsibility for some of their not so great actions like slavery, genocide and other atrocities. I do not take credit for what my ancestors did and nor do I share in the blame of their sins. The fact that my ancestors fought and died for this country does not in any way elevate me above someone whose ancestors did not. You only get credit for the work and/or effort that you did for your country, not something that someone else did. 

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I think people have no clue what it's like to be a cop, but every idea how cool it is to be a thug. WorldStar! Thuglife! Ya, that's the cool kids, the good stuff. Cops are pigs and kill innocent people, mostly because cops are white and racist. Disagree? You're racist. Have an opinion and you're white, sit down and shut up. This is today. No amount of virtue signalling will build that bridge. 

This is, again, looking at the extremes of both sides. Most reasonable people protesting against police violence are well aware of the fact that not all cops are bad/racist people. In fact, most cops probably aren't. The get frustrated with the good cops for not being willing to call out the bad apples due to the unwritten code of conduct officers have with each other. Plus, the idea behind the entire social movement right now isn't to defend thugs. It's to defend innocent people who are being gunned down by police for little-to-no reason.

Your opinion isn't really delusional, but it misses a ton of context and subtleties to what the issue actually is.

Archived