The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lightning winger J.T. Brown receives death threats after raising fist during American anthem [Update]

Roberts

43 minutes ago, Toews said:

This is BS and you are sounding very much like a white supremacist. If you want to take credit for your ancestors contributions towards the formation of this country then you also have to take responsibility for some of their not so great actions like slavery, genocide and other atrocities. I do not take credit for what my ancestors did and nor do I share in the blame of their sins. The fact that my ancestors fought and died for this country does not in any way elevate me above someone whose ancestors did not. You only get credit for the work and/or effort that you did for your country, not something that someone else did. 

Haha ya that's me.

Where do you live?

If this country, or the one to our south, wasn't build predominantly by white people and their values and beliefs, then who did? Aboriginals? The Chinese? Africans? 

The good fortune of living here owes its credit to the sacrifices made by others,  very specific others, white people, the overwhelmingly large majority. And as it happens, the people who are never credited for any good in this place, yet are held responsible for the whole mess of today, just the mess are solely to blame. Does that sound supremacist to you? I hope you change your mind about my choice to not be a scratching post race, as is the current MSM, white privilege smear campaign. Let's all treat teach other the same and show some respect for our superior countries and culture. 

29 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I think people have no clue what it's like to be a cop, but every idea how cool it is to be a thug. WorldStar! Thuglife! Ya, that's the cool kids, the good stuff. Cops are pigs and kill innocent people, mostly because cops are white and racist. Disagree? You're racist. Have an opinion and you're white, sit down and shut up. This is today. No amount of virtue signalling will build that bridge. 

I dunno, I think "thug life" has been poplar since Black Beard and Jesse James, thats not a new thing.

I think whats missing when we all freak out is e.g, discussing what would possess an otherwise regular police officer to shoot an unarmed man in a car multiple times?  lets put the meme's away and think on that for a bit, there is a base of fear that is effecting everyone that isn't being addressed. 

16 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

This is, again, looking at the extremes of both sides. Most reasonable people protesting against police violence are well aware of the fact that not all cops are bad/racist people. In fact, most cops probably aren't. The get frustrated with the good cops for not being willing to call out the bad apples due to the unwritten code of conduct officers have with each other. Plus, the idea behind the entire social movement right now isn't to defend thugs. It's to defend innocent people who are being gunned down by police for little-to-no reason.

Your opinion isn't really delusional, but it misses a ton of context and subtleties to what the issue actually is.

Innocent people, hey where do I sign up?

It wasn't about ALL lives matter, nor Blue ones, from what I recall.

Discussion is good. Labelling and corralling each other is not. 

I hope so good comes out of it, not just for one agenda. 

5 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Innocent people, hey where do I sign up?

It wasn't about ALL lives matter, nor Blue ones, from what I recall.

Discussion is good. Labelling and corralling each other is not. 

I hope so good comes out of it, not just for one agenda. 

It wasn't about pushing an agenda to begin with, don't let extremists on either side fool you into thinking that's what it's about. Things like "the gay agenda" and "the black agenda" don't exist past a very minuscule group of people. They're microscopic in the scope of the bigger picture, but it's what the media focuses on.

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I dunno, I think "thug life" has been poplar since Black Beard and Jesse James, thats not a new thing.

I think whats missing when we all freak out is e.g, discussing what would possess an otherwise regular police officer to shoot an unarmed man in a car multiple times?  lets put the meme's away and think on that for a bit, there is a base of fear that is effecting everyone that isn't being addressed. 

It's a culture thing. It's opposition to the Establishment, which is?

Glorifying thuggery is every bit in step with cops running for cover and getting killed. Nobody is sticking up for dead cops and are loudly, maybe like you just did above, citing the rare examples of instances of brutality out there and not the million positive ones. That is a discussion not found in this or similar threads. I chalk it up to the folks' gobbling up what they are told, combined with a bit of gangsta culture.

Again it's not what we think, it's how we think. How we come to form our opinions and how we chose to react. Blaming the cops for shooting folks who rush at them with a weapon, edited out of a viral video, is worse than anything I can say here.

Is finding a hand full of real, racist bastards and holding that portion of the ratio up for a protest feasible or wise? Let's fight racism all day long, but to lay it at the feet of cops, who die more often than is being let on here, and than their allegedly innocent victims are... is an agenda. It's crooked and it's wrong, in my view. Until I see each side properly represented, I think it's a position worth taking in here to defend the folks who defend us all. 

12 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

It wasn't about pushing an agenda to begin with, don't let extremists on either side fool you into thinking that's what it's about. Things like "the gay agenda" and "the black agenda" don't exist past a very minuscule group of people. They're microscopic in the scope of the bigger picture, but it's what the media focuses on.

Please explain to me what BLM was and who it's founders and organizers were

No dont. Have a good weekend, I'm done virtue signalling for a while. 

14 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Haha ya that's me.

Where do you live?

If this country, or the one to our south, wasn't build predominantly by white people and their values and beliefs, then who did? Aboriginals? The Chinese? Africans? 

The good fortune of living here owes its credit to the sacrifices made by others,  very specific others, white people, the overwhelmingly large majority. And as it happens, the people who are never credited for any good in this place, yet are held responsible for the whole mess of today, just the mess. Does that sound supremacist to you? I hope you change your mind. 

I did not call you a white supremacist, I said you are sounding like one. You failed to address the point of my post. You cannot take credit for the sacrifices your ancestors made unless you are willing to take credit for their sins as well. This country was built on the bones of the indigenous population that occupied this land before our founding fathers arrived here. So tell me are you responsible for the mass genocide of native populations? Are you responsible for slavery?

White people of today don't deserve any credit just as they don't deserve any blame. Like I said you cannot take credit for what your ancestors did, you can only take credit for your own actions. 

11 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Please explain to me what BLM was and who it's founders and organizers were

No dont. Have a good weekend, I'm done virtue signalling for a while. 

Cullors, McKesson, and Garza?

There was no sense of "agenda pushing" from the three, unless you count trying to bring marginalized voices to the forefront. I'm pretty sure they (Alicia Garza in particular) even actively spoke out against BLM protestors using violence or typecasting all whites as racists. The people who ended up using it to push an anti-white/anti-cop agenda are not related to the foundation or initial core concepts of BLM at all.

It's unfortunate that it's been twisted into something that it isn't, but that happens to most wide-scale social movements.

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

I did not call you a white supremacist, I said you are sounding like one. You failed to address the point of my post. You cannot take credit for the sacrifices your ancestors made unless you are willing to take credit for their sins as well. This country was built on the bones of the indigenous population that occupied this land before our founding fathers arrived here. So tell me are you responsible for the mass genocide of native populations? Are you responsible for slavery?

White people of today don't deserve any credit just as they don't deserve any blame. Like I said you cannot take credit for what your ancestors did, you can only take credit for your own actions. 

Can you point me to the "all the good white people/good things whites have done" threads? Articles? Netflix series? 

Can BLM folks take credit or responsibility for their kid's behaviours? 

Only white people, especially white cops, are supposed to change their ways, according to the message. 

IMG_0476.thumb.JPG.a8be2d51af744f8973f952747308a7c3.JPGIMG_0539.JPG.6676c3965b80f53fe823a552ba868d10.JPG

I expect people to know how to behave when approached by the cops. I also expect folks to not break the law and be responsible citizens. 

IMG_0579.JPG

If you genuinely think that the people protesting believe that only whites (and cops) need to change then I'm going to start to feel like you get all of your information from memes. Most folks realize how real minority-on-minority crime is, and how badly the entire mindset needs to change within their own communities as well. Police brutality gets protested because they're supposed to be helping these communities rehabilitate, not shooting someone obeying orders for no reason.

You still didn't address the point of my post. Why do you deserve credit for the actions of your ancestors? And if you think you do then should we hold you responsible for the atrocities they committed as well? 

You seem to be deflecting, but I will address what you said anyway in the hopes that you return the favour and answer the bolded.

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

Can you point me to the "all the good white people/good things whites have done" threads? Articles? Netflix series? 

Its called "History" class and we are taught it in school. Its littered with white men, with a few First Nations men and a tiny percentage of women.   

Can BLM folks take credit or responsibility for their kid's behaviours? 

I am not sure what this means and what this has to do with our discussion. Please elaborate.

Only white people, especially white cops, are supposed to change their ways, according to the message. 

First of all BLM isn't saying "white people" or "white cops". Its addressing all cops and asking them to stop racially profiling people. 

I expect people to know how to behave when approached by the cops. I also expect folks to not break the law and be responsible citizens. 

And yet doing all of this still doesn't stop cops from profiling black people or shooting unarmed black people who have not committed any crimes.

25 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It's a culture thing. It's opposition to the Establishment, which is?

Glorifying thuggery is every bit in step with cops running for cover and getting killed. Nobody is sticking up for dead cops and are loudly, maybe like you just did above, citing the rare examples of instances of brutality out there and not the million positive ones. That is a discussion not found in this or similar threads. I chalk it up to the folks' gobbling up what they are told, combined with a bit of gangsta culture.

Again it's not what we think, it's how we think. How we come to form our opinions and how we chose to react. Blaming the cops for shooting folks who rush at them with a weapon, edited out of a viral video, is worse than anything I can say here.

Is finding a hand full of real, racist bastards and holding that portion of the ratio up for a protest feasible or wise? Let's fight racism all day long, but to lay it at the feet of cops, who die more often than is being let on here, and than their allegedly innocent victims are... is an agenda. It's crooked and it's wrong, in my view. Until I see each side properly represented, I think it's a position worth taking in here to defend the folks who defend us all. 

Those horrible videos of unarmed people being shot of course are extremes, but there's also things like carding, people being pulled over, actual stats on unfair things in the justice system like e.g., underfunding of legal aid lawyers which disproportionally effects certain groups. I think they are talking about the whole picture of these things as part of the protesting along with the extremes. 

I don't want to minimize the risks to police, I do appreciate what they do, but the number of police killed on duty in the US is very low and actually the trend is on the decline too: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36826297 . Its actually stunningly low given the number of guns in the US that in 2015 it was around 50 officers killed as the result of a crime, which is horrible, but its also not a free for all by gangsters on police. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Those horrible videos of unarmed people being shot of course are extremes, but there's also things like carding, people being pulled over, actual stats on unfair things in the justice system like e.g., underfunding of legal aid lawyers which disproportionally effects certain groups. I think they are talking about the whole picture of these things as part of the protesting along with the extremes. 

I don't want to minimize the risks to police, I do appreciate what they do, but the number of police killed on duty in the US is very low and actually the trend is on the decline too: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36826297 . Its actually stunningly low given the number of guns in the US that in 2015 it was around 50 officers killed as the result of a crime, which is horrible, but its also not a free for all by gangsters on police. 

Prepare to be replied to with more police memes.

2 hours ago, Toews said:

@189lb enforcers?I wish you would stop posting the damn memes man. I don't mind having this discussion but its irritating as hell when I have to sift through a bunch of crap to do so.

Ya, I was on a bit of a runaway on the memes.

I will try to address your questions/comments later on.

On 2017-10-13 at 11:57 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

No it isn't a racial slur. Redneck isn't a race. Its a commentary on people that actually call themselves rednecks, like this guy:

I'm not accusing anyone specifically on CDC of this either. If the mods have an issue with it @StealthNuck can message me if he thinks I've used it inappropriately, but people I grew up with call themselves this, as well as a lot of people in the US.

Black people call themselves n words too.....just sayin

On 10/14/2017 at 11:22 AM, Toews said:

Regardless of any record of involvement with slavery, according to BLM, NAACP and numerous other groups, I am responsible, along with the rest of the country who isn't black.

Your closing paragraph is right on the mark.  Unfortunately, not everyone sees it that way.

Archived