The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Game 1 Oct 7th 2017. Coaching Takeaway

Warhippy

I noticed something last night.

Now bear with me, I am a shade in the cups (Happy Turkey Murder Weekend) but have been going over last nights game.

In 2009 and 2010 when we basically got abused by the Hawks,  The 1 standout and true takeaway was the coaching.  Quenville literally out coached AV to the cup as it was.  In 2009 when we got ousted it was in big part because Quenville opted to utilize Big Buff's buff in the face of opposing goalies.  In 2010 again but also effectively shut down Pronger as well.

Coaching was something we've been complaining about for a long time.  We've had good coaches, but not coaches who thought on the fly

Last night, while only 1 game in showed a piece of Green I wasn't too sure on.  He out coached McClellan and the Oilers and all but had Dorsett...Derek frigging Dorsett shut down Conn McJesus.  He also effectively managed 4 complete lines where the Sedins actually only had 14 minutes of ice time.  Edler played some big minutes of the type AV used to give him in the same situations and he was quite effective.

Now it's only 1 game and obviously it's pre mature but if Green is going to come in and actually think his way through games and change his plan on the fly in the manner that sees us successful instead of simply sticking to the game plan or "defending the tie"

I will be thrilled.

We could lose 55 games this year and as long as the compete level is there like last night I'd consider it awesome.

Also...gobble gobble

The big standout for me was an emphasis on matching speed and tempo.

When things would start going end to end under Willy, he'd panic, put the twins out in an effort to restore "structure", or maybe just to slow it down enough for him to comprehend. 

Green just fed into it and yes, to agree with you, out coached McLellan. He likes uptempo hockey, and as a result the twins played about 9mins of 5v5.

I didn't look too much at line matching because the Oilers really have two lines and our boys were getting er done on both ends of the ice. No panic, no falling over in front of the net. Solid, confident hockey.

Green stood pat, poker face all night, his composure rubbing off on his team. I liked it.

Green's approach is refreshing and desperately needed. 

A think a lot of that Dorsett shut down is McDavid choosing to engage. For whatever reason, he got under Connor's his skin and he came down to roll around in the mud with the peasants. Poking Dorsett with his stick, chirping at him, obviously not mentally engaged with his offensive game. And man, Dorsett can roll around in the mud happily all day. 

Hard to predict what players will manage to get under someone skin. Usually the stars know well enough to just laugh off a 4th line agitator and score goals. But if Dorsett knows how to push McJesus' holy buttons, I am on-board that train all day. 

Green comes across as a very confident coach and has swagger or whatever you would like to call it. He coaches like he has the best team on the ice and I believe that instills his level of confidence and swagger into his players

They are not going to play like they are afraid, or in awe, of the opposition mentally or physically and that can only bode well for them as a team.Confidence in your coaches, systems, teammates combined with your own confidence to make meaningful contributions can carry a team a long ways.

Best of luck to our management, coaches, players and fans for a very successful 2017/18 season.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

PP needs an enema still. Then we'll be closer to where we want to be. 

Horvat is not the typical pp center, and clearly the twins are too slow for the entry and for the chase.  So we don't have the personnel.  Problems with finding a pp D are secondary to the problem of finding 3 good pp forwards, or 6 for two lines.  Baer looks good, Granlund, maybe.  Boeser looks promising (he'll have to be on the ice, to state the obvious.)  Virtanen may be good -- he has a one-timer and an ability in front of the net --  but at this rate, we'll never know, as he doesn't get used in that role.  Pettersson, in two years? Gagner looked okay, but Vanek was as bad as the Sedins.  Time to try something new, or something that is so basic and simple the players we have can do it no harm. 

IMO the most encouraging part of yesterday's game was that the Canucks were able to force their style of play on the Oilers. Even McLellan admitted as such:

"I thought we were going to play a cute, control-type game, and they played a scrappy, hard game," McLellan said of the hole his team dug for itself.

"By the time we figured that out, it was a little too late."

Obviously not every game is going to have the same level of intensity, but it's good to see that Green is at least capable of motivating the players to push the pace of play from the opening faceoff (even though they gave up the first goal, they responded quickly). The past few versions of the team have been too tentative early in games and would often fall behind.

11 minutes ago, gameburn2 said:

Horvat is not the typical pp center, and clearly the twins are too slow for the entry and for the chase.  So we don't have the personnel.  Problems with finding a pp D are secondary to the problem of finding 3 good pp forwards, or 6 for two lines.  Baer looks good, Granlund, maybe.  Boeser looks promising (he'll have to be on the ice, to state the obvious.)  Virtanen may be good -- he has a one-timer and an ability in front of the net --  but at this rate, we'll never know, as he doesn't get used in that role.  Pettersson, in two years? Gagner looked okay, but Vanek was as bad as the Sedins.  Time to try something new, or something that is so basic and simple the players we have can do it no harm. 

Yes any variations on Sedins and Elder are not going well. We need to use MDZ Virt Bose Horvat Gagner Granlund, Stecher, I am not sure what I see in Vanek yet. 

23 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

To be fair, give WD that roster and maybe his player deployment changes too.

A full and healthy D and the kids a year older with decent UFA insulation... would WD just keep playing the Sedins or would he do what TG did? Hard to say. 

Have to agree with this. 

Its almost like comparing apples with oranges... The roster this year is far better than anything we've had for several years.

But yeah its a great start to Greens tenure... long may it last.

Depends. Sample size is too small. Will he be easy for other coaches to defend after half a season? Will he make adjustments that make sense?

While the last game was more entertaining than the last two seasons combined I still question the need to sit Brock (winning the game doesn't automatically mean it was the right call,since brock may have buried those chances Vanek failed on) 

I'm hopeful but not sold yet, we'll see as the season progresses 

McClellan, for as much success as he's had in his career,  has been out coached many, many times.  How many times did he have the horses in SJ only to fall to the wayside at the hands of other teams/coaches?  We'll see what happens when Green meets up with the Quenvilles/Babcocks of the league who won't easily be caught off guard by a hard working team.  Yeah,  I know those two coaches are pretty elite, but they are the 'standard' imo in today's NHL.  That Pit guy's okay too I suppose.   That said,  I really liked the overall pace,  pressure,  and pursuit that Green had the boys into all night Sat - time will tell if any part of that was opening night 'adrenaline' so to speak or how long Green can have the team keep that kind of pace night in/night out? If they can sustain that tempo/pursuit consistently I'm confident they'll be in most games every night as I don't see them being outworked very often in this league if they bring that effort regularly. 

Archived