The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Game 1 Oct 7th 2017. Coaching Takeaway

Warhippy

Time will tell because, honestly, I feel one big issue the team has had is in being satisfied with a result and not being prepared for the next game after a hard fought win.  So I really hope they bring it every game because that's the only way to compete in this league.  You can't celebrate a win beyond the night it happens, so getting mentally prepared to get right back at it again is a huge deal.  Need consistency in overall effort on a nightly basis...I'm sure Green will be on top of that.  No nights off.

4 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Now it makes sense, instead of coaching powerplays he's just going on about what the song "Like a Virgin" really means

"Toby, To-by? Toby Wong, Toby Chong... f***ing Charlie Chan. I got Madonna's big d*** comin' out of my left ear, and Toby the I don't know what comin' outta my right"

After watching two consecutive seasons of third period meltdowns, I was delighted by Green’s calm demeanour in the third period.

All too often the Sedin’s were deployed by WD to shut down the other teams first or second line and we would sit back and try to go into a shell.

Absolutely cringe worthy.

Watching the team push the pace against the Oilers in the third  felt like a blast of football fresh air.

Usually I can’t wait for the game to end.  No so, last night.

I can’t wait for the next game, and I hope that B.B. draws into the lineup 

In the context of yesterday's game (and outside of Brock's healthy scratch) I agree that it was a job well done.

Smart move putting Granny, Sutter and Dorsett together, it has the look of a solid 4th line that can really make things difficult for other teams as they're pretty complete and versatile (all 3 can play center, they have speed and can contribute offensively, plus as mentioned they have good agitating qualities to go with solid defense).  Also great to see that the team can limit the Twins' minutes and still win (Bo obviously showing he's capable of handling the offensive load, but even guys like Gagner looked pretty good in bigger roles).  The deployment of Vanek with the Twins fits with the line's overall style as well, as they would work around the net and Thomas would do more of the shooting and tips from in close as expected.  Lastly, the addition of M.D.Z. to the offensive D-men (Hutton, Stecher, maybe Pouliot can join that group too?) really helped in yesterday's game, as on line changes they caught the Oil several times (Sven and Granny had breakaway chances even shorthanded) and with a group that's good at getting the puck on their guy's blade up ice it can help the team's productivity as a whole.  

Now things might all fall apart from games 2 to 82, but it's a good start for game 1.

Lastly, shout-out to Stecher for standing for himself after laying out his man. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

To be fair, give WD that roster and maybe his player deployment changes too.

A full and healthy D and the kids a year older with decent UFA insulation... would WD just keep playing the Sedins or would he do what TG did? Hard to say. 

to be even more fair, WD had a roster of similar quality in his 1st year and got schooled by Calgary, in large part due to his inability to adapt during games. 

With Mr. Green coaching the team and Mr. Brown coaching the power play, all we need is to cover and sort out those grey areas of play and put them into black and white, then we should be in the pink—otherwise the fans are going to see red . . . and that will only make them blue.

Sorry—it's been a long day :unsure:

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Why?

You must be American

:lol: no, I'm Canadian. WD was put in a pretty bad situation when he became coach, still glad Green became coach though, he will be a better fit for the club.

I'm just glad WD got opportunity to coach, hopefully he can prove himself better this time and get a new job in NHL/AHL

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

PP needs an enema still. Then we'll be closer to where we want to be. 

I have confidence it will at least get better.  The Sedin unit seems to be coming out 2nd more often than not- that might light a fire under them.  In the first unit, I think Hutton, Edler and Stetcher rotated in at various times?  Hopefully it all leads to something good

I like how we didn't change our game plan. We kept being aggressive, we kept pushing the play, and we kept getting chances. Markstrom held the fort when we needed him, but otherwise, we never turtled.

Stop comparing coaches fgs. 

Is it too much to ask to expect "fans of the game" to realise the difference between two different rosters, key players being fit and younger players being more experienced?

And in answer to the OP - NO the team did NOT lack compete in any of WD years as coach.

Granted it has only been 1 game so take this cautiously, but Green so far has been the best coach this team has had since AV and even then, AV never really did well head-to-head against other coaches. He never played the matchup game well, whereas it appears Green is going to focus more on other teams and how to beat them.

Most coaches admit that they don't care what the opposition is doing, and if they play the right way they'll succeed, but Green went the other way and said that he will roll his lines and style of play depending on the opponent. I think because of this flexible coaching style, we'll see far more wins. If the Canucks somehow make the playoffs, I think they'll go far, whether it be now or in a few years time. From what Green has preached so far, I believe his style will have great playoff success.

His hard work ethic style reminds me a bit of Tortorella though so lets just hope it's a sustainable type of play and that our key players don't get burnt out. Yes, he rolled the lines almost perfectly, but Edler still logged 25 minutes, and I think Sutter and Horvat are going to get used to death, with Henrik and Burmistrov/whoever ends up being our 4th line center getting a bit more sheltered. Injuries and how Green manages them will determine whether or not he's a great coach, but so far he's certainly a very good coach.

5 hours ago, Qwags said:

I like how we didn't change our game plan. We kept being aggressive, we kept pushing the play, and we kept getting chances. Markstrom held the fort when we needed him, but otherwise, we never turtled.

This team hasn't had that sort of mentality since even the prime 2011 days. We've always turtled. We've always been mentally fragile. Whether it be new leadership, young guys taking over or purely just the coaching staff, I was fully expecting us to blow the 3-1 lead but we kept pushing the entire game, and to me that's a sign of coaching more than anything else.

First time in a long time that the Canucks held on to a lead the right way - defending as a 5 man unit and continuing to push the play up the ice.

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

PP needs an enema still. Then we'll be closer to where we want to be. 

Yup. Newell has some work to do. 

It was a really good game to show the value of corsi numbers, or maybe how sometimes that stat tells you nothing. The Canucks CF% for that game was only 38%, Dorsett only 23%, but actually watching the game and seeing how effective Dorsett was would never be shown on the stats page. Same with Gudbranson, he had some important moments in that game that the stats darlings would say was a bad game for him. 

7 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i thought the PP showed a lot more creativity last game. i believe the goals will come. 

maybe they just need a slightly slower team to start out with :lol: once they get settled it looks better than last year. I like Edler but wonder if maybe he should still be on the PP?

9 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

To be fair, give WD that roster and maybe his player deployment changes too.

A full and healthy D and the kids a year older with decent UFA insulation... would WD just keep playing the Sedins or would he do what TG did? Hard to say. 

Man I see people say this all the time, but WD always had horvat with less minutes than both Henrik and Sutter every game, he had chaput and megna on the first line while grandlund it eriksson sat on the 4th line, always had Sedins our there for the end of the game, and he loved putting the 4th line out after the other team iced it. 

I actually think WD had it harder in 2015-2016 when both sutter and sedin were injured and he was forced to play McCann as the top line centre and horvat as the shutdown centre. It took injuries to our two veteran centres before willie D changed his mentality. 

Yeah im sure he would’ve been better with a healthy line up all year, wouldn’t have put megna on the pp etc. But he never showed the in-game coaching that Green showed on Saturday. 

Archived