The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Game 1 Oct 7th 2017. Coaching Takeaway

Warhippy

Big takeaway is how Green managed the Sedins' TOI, number of shifts, and use on the PP. 

Hopefully this will continue and their age is finally being addressed properly rather than riding them to the point of liability.

Last season after the Christmas break, with an extended rest, the Sedins were noticeably fresh and rejuvenated. They were even backchecking like the days of old. I think we went on a bit of a roll after the break, too. It was clear the Sedins needed more rest to be effective at their age.

It's only one game but I like how Green managed their minutes.

Biggest takeaway is a coaches job is easier when your forward group is deep enough a blue chip guy like Boeser is a healthy scratch rather than having the Skille's, Megna's, and Chaput's of the world holding regular roster spots.

17 hours ago, spook007 said:

Have to agree with this. 

Its almost like comparing apples with oranges... The roster this year is far better than anything we've had for several years.

But yeah its a great start to Greens tenure... long may it last.

59dbfd8b9d726_download(1).jpg.dc7bf7fbdd225883c23c5a15833db748.jpg

I believe they can be compared. Willie a lot like AV and even Torts ride with main lines. The Sedins might not have had the most ice time but I'll bet they  would have been out against connor more often than not. The only wash at this point is the fact that it's early. But even early I enjoyed watching Green and his match making. This will be interesting to see if it's sustainable.

23 minutes ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

59dbfd8b9d726_download(1).jpg.dc7bf7fbdd225883c23c5a15833db748.jpg

I believe they can be compared. Willie a lot like AV and even Torts ride with main lines. The Sedins might not have had the most ice time but I'll bet they  would have been out against connor more often than not. The only wash at this point is the fact that it's early. But even early I enjoyed watching Green and his match making. This will be interesting to see if it's sustainable.

Its easier to roll 4 lines if you have the players to do so.Willie originally wanted to roll 4 lines.

Think we all agree and know, that for a few years we have needed to give the twins less ice time to keep them fresh, but the squad was definitely not strong enough to do so.

Agree that it will be interesting to see if Green can keep the team play this up tempo hockey, and leave the Sedins at less minutes, but it remains to be seen.

The one thing I have noticed is that it did not take long for the team to learn TG's system. From the preseason to the first game of the season I seen the progression to looking pretty good against the Oilers.

I find the system similar to the 90's where the transition was smooth from the D zone to the O zone with almost "ballet" like precision. If your pass missed the intended guy it went to another like it was intended to do. Its hard to explain but it looks very fluent when you watch the game. Sometimes there are very few whistles. I have heard a few say that his style was similar when coaching the Comets.

I don't know but when you get players like Elder looking like he is having fun and Stecher flying around like he just grew wings something is going good.

22 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I noticed something last night.

Now bear with me, I am a shade in the cups (Happy Turkey Murder Weekend) but have been going over last nights game.

In 2009 and 2010 when we basically got abused by the Hawks,  The 1 standout and true takeaway was the coaching.  Quenville literally out coached AV to the cup as it was.  In 2009 when we got ousted it was in big part because Quenville opted to utilize Big Buff's buff in the face of opposing goalies.  In 2010 again but also effectively shut down Pronger as well.

Coaching was something we've been complaining about for a long time.  We've had good coaches, but not coaches who thought on the fly

Last night, while only 1 game in showed a piece of Green I wasn't too sure on.  He out coached McClellan and the Oilers and all but had Dorsett...Derek frigging Dorsett shut down Conn McJesus.  He also effectively managed 4 complete lines where the Sedins actually only had 14 minutes of ice time.  Edler played some big minutes of the type AV used to give him in the same situations and he was quite effective.

Now it's only 1 game and obviously it's pre mature but if Green is going to come in and actually think his way through games and change his plan on the fly in the manner that sees us successful instead of simply sticking to the game plan or "defending the tie"

I will be thrilled.

We could lose 55 games this year and as long as the compete level is there like last night I'd consider it awesome.

Also...gobble gobble

People can sometimes undervalue coaches with respect to actually having played in the NHL.
Adding up all the head coaches we've ever had, from Hal Laycoe in 1970 all the way up to Willie Desjardins, their entire NHL games played adds up to just over 3,000 games.
Travis Green had nearly 1,000 

Think about that for a minute........... that's 18 coaches over almost 50 years 

Now, if you look at the coaches we've had since our first Final appearance in 1982, they add up to 1134 games.
Pat Quinn   606 
Rick Ley     310
Crow          176
AV              42 

Those are noteworthy numbers. This team have never. Not once, had a coach with this much experience playing the game at the highest level in the world.
Not to mention he was also a 1st round pick, who put up nearly .5 PPG over his career. 
To further that, some of the coaches he played for (and learned from) were pretty historical. 

All I can say is, if what we saw in game 1 is any indication of what's to come.... its about time! 

53 minutes ago, ArkDepot said:

People can sometimes undervalue coaches with respect to actually having played in the NHL.
Adding up all the head coaches we've ever had, from Hal Laycoe in 1970 all the way up to Willie Desjardins, their entire NHL games played adds up to just over 3,000 games.

Now, if you look at the coaches we've had since our first Final appearance in 1982, they add up to 1134 games.
Pat Quinn   606 
Rick Ley     310
Crow          176
AV              42 

Those are noteworthy numbers. This team have never. Not once, had a coach with this much experience playing the game at the highest level in the world.
Not to mention he was also a 1st round pick, who put up nearly .5 PPG over his career. 
To further that, some of the coaches he played for (and learned from) were pretty historical. 

All I can say is, if what we saw in game 1 is any indication of what's to come.... its about time! 

Scotty Bowman never played an NHL game. His coaching led to:

1244 regular season wins

223 playoff wins

9 Stanley Cups

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

You;ll have to excuse me as I was half in the bag last night and don't even really recall writing this. 

But after going over my post, I don't see anywhere that I brought up Wilie D at all.  Nor about compete level.

My post was about thinking on the fly, actually out coaching another coach.  What is perceived to be one the best coaches in the league.  Green went in to Saturday nights game with a plan and set lines.  Which he changed on the fly.  He deployed the twins in a way that I don't think anyone in the hockey world expected.

One thing we've not had since Quinn was behind teh bench was an intelligent coach who thought the game at the line by line level.  Not a pairing or matching but that proverbial step ahead.

1 game does not in ANY WAY mean Green is going to be that kind of coach.  But if he turns out that way, and we play out the rest of the year in this fashion.  I will be thrilled.  We could go in 2nd worst in the league again and I will be happy knowing we didn't roll over

No it was not a reference to AV entirely but all of our coaches since Quinn.  We've had static coaches who never adapted mid game.  We lost to better teams, no doubt.  Av is still one of my favorite coaches in the league and I still consider him entirely under rated.  I say

Defend the tie

As a reference to the coaches we see who cannot adapt.  Who get fixed in their game plan and when they see something new have no way to change or adapt to it.  Like Byfuglien as a forward, LA's insane post season PP etc.

Green showed he actually did adapt in game in a way that saw him out think McClellan and stymied what is supposed to be one of the best offenses in the entire league.  He did it with Derek Dorsett and the twins playing less than 15 minutes.

One game again, not indicative of the season of course but shows to be very intriguing if it becomes a trend.  

7 minutes is concerning.  We don't know if that will be a trend.  Green knows Jake better than anyone on this forum and I'd say anyone in the organization.  7 minutes allowed for Jake to be well rested and not a liability.  he brought energy and was a threat almost every shift.

I will say I'd rather see Virtanen/Boeser in the AHL playing top 6 minutes 14-19 a game than watching them toil on the benches for 10 or less.

But hard to say green doesn't know best when it comes to Jake Virtanen.

Besides, we knew well in advance that we had very few roster spots for both Jake and Brock.  Much like my original post.  It's 1 game.  We don't know how the season will shake out but that was the least of my concerns was JV's ice time.

Having watched the Comets for a few years, I can attest to the fact that this is the way he coaches. He will identify who is going and who isn't and if there are players that aren't pulling their weight, they will get switched for someone who is. We really can expect this kind of mixing and matching all season long.

As far as Jake goes, he doesn't play special teams and the way the game is being called lately, his ice time is limited to 5 on 5 play. The same thing happened in Utica last year, where the games are also chippy and penalty filled. It will be interesting to see who of Jake and Brock get sent down to make room for Gaunce when he's ready. I wouldn't mind if Jake went down so he could get those special team minutes and learn a complete game with those bigger minutes.

3 hours ago, ArkDepot said:

Pat Quinn   606 
Rick Ley     310
Crow          176
AV              42 

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

Scotty Bowman never played an NHL game. His coaching led to:

1244 regular season wins

223 playoff wins

9 Stanley Cups

Was about to say the same thing...

AV 42... I'd say he is a pretty decent coach....

43 minutes ago, ArkDepot said:

Maybe you guys are right.

Better to sit on the fence and pick the birds off one by one, rather than be the bird.

Maybe so... Nothing wrong with an opinion, after all this is what these pages are here for.

But still think there is a lot of great coaches out there, that has very limited experience as players.

Still it'll be very interesting to see if Green can keep the team playing the same way as against the Oilers over a longer period, cause if he can, we could be on a winner with him. Definitely worth the watching against Oilers...

Archived