The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The curious case of Brock Boeser

kurtzfan

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The point is, he's a kid and still developing, the best thing for him right now is to be playing as much hockey as possible, the longer he sits out the harder it is for him to adjust.  If he's not regularly playing in the NHL, then send him to the AHL where he will play.  It's early and only been one game but we have 7 games in the next 13 days, he's going to need to get in over half of those games to justify keeping him in the show.   

1 game is bad enough, but imagine if he sat *2* !!!!!

47 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I agree on some level but I think with Boeser it might be a bit different. 

Maybe he has been doing too much in the off season, it may be that he just needs to be used sparingly to start with, in order to loosen up and keep his confidence.

I had a feeling he might be sent down to Utica though and said as much but that was based purely on his pre season displays, however it is not unusual for some players to raise their game AFTER the pre season. (see Dorsett)

Anyway, I'm not worried as I think Boeser will take any decision in his stride, he's that kind of boy. I am more concerned about the habitual inclination to find something to find fault with the coach. 

Brock had a really good preseason, he was easily one of our best players, but even still I'd be fine with him going to Utica.  I just want the kid to play, and watch his confidence grow.  It comes down to the coaches belief in what he can bring to the team over other players.  If the coach doesn't think he can provide more, then send him back, going to the AHL for a month or two and producing big points (while we wait for an injury to hit) isn't going to hurt him, but sitting in pressbox when he believes he can help the team does. 

My view on Jake was he would have played on seamlessly but for the "crossed wires" (giving him the benefit of the doubt) over his fitness. The reason I say that was because as I have said before I thought he did well from the time he came back from the WJC till the end of the season. If he had maintained that weight and fitness level I doubt he would have needed to go to Utica.

Sure but seeing a person isn't in shape doesn't take a month to figure out.  The decision should have been made right out of camp, instead we tip toed around the issue, lost Etem to waivers and then cried about lack of depth (yes I know etem then got a season ending injury but it wasn't something we could've predicted to happen).  It was poor asset management that didn't benefit the team and surely didn't benefit Jake's development, he was a month behind the rest of the league before he finally started getting in the groove of things..  Why were we so timid to make the call and stand by it, I think the worry comes from people scared to see the same handling with Brock this year.  If the kid earned a spot over other players make room for him, if not send him down, it's really that simple. 

By the way I see McCann is now 6'-1" and nearly 200lbs. He has started well with Florida 2 pts in 2 games and +2. I think I will miss him.

https://www.nhl.com/video/mccanns-top-shelf-goal/t-290848110/c-53272903

Yes he had a good game the other night with a goal an assist.  It will hurt even more if we lose guddy this year. 

CDC 2 years ago -

“We played McCann and Virtanen too soon! Totally ruined their development!”

CDC after 1 game this year -

“WTF!? Why is Boeser not playing!? Green sucks! Willie reincarnated! This franchise is a joke!” Etc etc etc.

Green’s outlines his plans. Whether you guys agree with it or not... last I checked, you guys ain’t the coach. If Boes proves he can skate as well at the end of the game as the beginning, and looks as fresh and sharp at the end of the 3 game stint, I’m sure Green will play him. 

FFS guys, relax. It’s one game. THAT WE WON WITH EXCELLENT DEPLOYMENT. 

10 hours ago, mll said:

From the article on Dorsett: 

Green has already acknowledged that in a tough division and conference and with a brutal travel schedule, Virtanen and Boeser may only play between 50-60 games. They need to get acclimated to the grind of the NHL season, something Dorsett knows all about.

/thread.

2 hours ago, butters said:

1 game is bad enough, but imagine if he sat *2* !!!!!

He is.  lol

I'm ok with it. He's a young guy and if Green thinks he needs some time to simmer so be it. I really couldn't care less as long as the team that gets iced is going out there with all cylinders firing. He'll get his chance. And I'm betting when he does, he's going to make a helluva dent. 

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

He was also right when he said Burmistrov had a good game. Burmistrov is a player how plays physical and that is what we need and what Green likes.

It's a nice luxury to have 13 guys who can get er' done.

I'm hoping Jake gets a bunch of games so he can get in a rhythm.

1 hour ago, Team Bagues said:

It's a nice luxury to have 13 guys who can get er' done.

I'm hoping Jake gets a bunch of games so he can get in a rhythm.

Lots of older guys on the club this year... probably will have a few banged up soon.  

Also, Hank and Danny might be sat occasionally  for maintenance.

Should be lots of games for Virt and Boeser this year.  

6 minutes ago, xereau said:

OOluokb.png

yel·low jour·nal·ism
noun
  1. journalism that is based upon sensationalism and crude exaggeration.
    "equating murder and dismemberment with smoking pot is the worst yellow journalism"

i had had to google the term an this came up with the query.lol 
    Brock will be just fine if he rationalizes the mad fan base here in Vancouver.

Vancouver media / Newspapers  ( online )

Vancouver Media - is now pretty much click bait 

TOP DEFINITION

An eyecatching link on a website which encourages people to read on. It is often paid for by the advertiser ("Paid" click bait) or generates income based on the number of clicks.
This is not news, really. It’s click bait, the stuff pageviews are made of.

OR

This is the worst article I've ever read, clearly from a massive Microsoft hater or paid by Apple/Google. It's just paid FUD clickbait, wouldn't expect any better of news.com.au. Source: Whirlpool Forum 21 Oct 2012.

26 minutes ago, TotesMagotes said:

People are over hyped on this guy. What's gonna happen when he has 2 or 3 bad games in a row? 

Some people will lose it, some people will rationalize it. They will all hate each other.

As is tradition.

40 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I do wonder how long it will take before Boeser becomes frustrated.

I don't think he will because I think he'll be in games pretty soon. If it's not Green putting him in because he thinks he lines up better against a specific team, then he'll be slotted in because of an inevitable injury.

The kid will play, it's just a matter of time.

20 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Province trolling once again. Green's lines on Saturday made a lot of sense. 

the big picture is we are rebuilding, And the exact it makes a lot of sense could be said for playing Brock.  First, he was our most productive scorer at the end of last season.  Second, he has a very good camp, wasn't okay the last 2 games but so was everyone else - he didnt standout as bad at all.  He is also seen as a potential rookie of the year (Button from TSN picks him).   Hockey scouts, experts from leading sources says he is a legit piece of a NHL rebuild.  On the other hand will Vanek and the other add ons are exactly that.  

Boeser is not in the line up because Green is obligated to play Vets before rookies for no other reason then not hurting feelings of guys like Vanek.  It is obvious.  

When Benning signed those add ons everyone was saying this was going to happen even before it happened, vets would play before rookies.   It was on the table and Green went with a 'half solution'  Jake but not Brock. 

4 hours ago, samurai said:

the big picture is we are rebuilding, And the exact it makes a lot of sense could be said for playing Brock.  First, he was our most productive scorer at the end of last season.  Second, he has a very good camp, wasn't okay the last 2 games but so was everyone else - he didnt standout as bad at all.  He is also seen as a potential rookie of the year (Button from TSN picks him).   Hockey scouts, experts from leading sources says he is a legit piece of a NHL rebuild.  On the other hand will Vanek and the other add ons are exactly that.  

Boeser is not in the line up because Green is obligated to play Vets before rookies for no other reason then not hurting feelings of guys like Vanek.  It is obvious.  

When Benning signed those add ons everyone was saying this was going to happen even before it happened, vets would play before rookies.   It was on the table and Green went with a 'half solution'  Jake but not Brock. 

I'm not sure whats obvious, other than Green doesn't think Brock wasn't ready compared to the other 12 guys. Don't forget Bo had to work his ass off for 3 years, fighting for ice time, working his way up, etc. to get to where he is now. Brock is just starting that process. 

Archived