The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The curious case of Brock Boeser

kurtzfan

On 09/10/2017 at 10:01 PM, Baggins said:

Frankly after the final cuts I was looking at the 13 forwards and thinking there isn't one I want to sit out. Quite a change from last season.

Eriksson 

Burmistrov

Dorsett

There's 3 spots for a potential Calder candidate.  4 if you bench Eriksson twice

18 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Brock had a really good preseason, he was easily one of our best players, but even still I'd be fine with him going to Utica.  I just want the kid to play, and watch his confidence grow.  It comes down to the coaches belief in what he can bring to the team over other players.  If the coach doesn't think he can provide more, then send him back, going to the AHL for a month or two and producing big points (while we wait for an injury to hit) isn't going to hurt him, but sitting in pressbox when he believes he can help the team does. 

Well, as I said, I didn't think he did "based on play" So we will just have to differ. You have to look past the points to the style of play imo.

A lot of players coming into this league take time to realise that success is based mostly on intensity of compete. Those who get that shine and then there are others who need time to adapt (Boeser ) and the 3rd group imo the Bouchers and Goldobins  - they may never get it.

That is just my current opinion which may change and while  I will be glad to be proved wrong by the last 2 named, I have no doubts about Brock.

18 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sure but seeing a person isn't in shape doesn't take a month to figure out.  The decision should have been made right out of camp, instead we tip toed around the issue, lost Etem to waivers and then cried about lack of depth (yes I know etem then got a season ending injury but it wasn't something we could've predicted to happen).  It was poor asset management that didn't benefit the team and surely didn't benefit Jake's development, he was a month behind the rest of the league before he finally started getting in the groove of things..  Why were we so timid to make the call and stand by it, I think the worry comes from people scared to see the same handling with Brock this year.  If the kid earned a spot over other players make room for him, if not send him down, it's really that simple. 

Yes he had a good game the other night with a goal an assist.  It will hurt even more if we lose guddy this year. 

It is what the Canucks always do. They want to manage these young players. It seems even if it screws up a line or two, teaching or managing the young guys is job one. This stifles players and they know there are other guys playing regularly that are not producing. To me the second game was a far cry from the first, by the whole team. It is quite early to second guess the coach, but maybe he is mostly concerned about the media, and him asserting himself as the coach. I think the Sedins need to retire and open up a couple of spots for younger players. Anyway its early, but I think Boeser should have played last night.

15 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

Vanek signing was a mistake.

Eriksson signing was a mistake.

Sedins shouldn’t be playing anymore.

the team needs to make some hard decisions here...

Vanek = Correct

Eriksson = Correct

Sedin's = are you daft?

Seriously I hope someone comes into your job and tells you to pack up your crap because you no longer matter.  Even though you are still doing as good or better than everyone else there.  You could have been the best employee that they have ever had and made the company better than it ever has been.  But we want to make way for people who just aren't able to cut it if you are here (lower the bar and it's easy for people to look good)

So tired of this mentality.

31 minutes ago, danjr said:

Vanek = Correct

Eriksson = Correct

Sedin's = are you daft?

Seriously I hope someone comes into your job and tells you to pack up your crap because you no longer matter.  Even though you are still doing as good or better than everyone else there.  You could have been the best employee that they have ever had and made the company better than it ever has been.  But we want to make way for people who just aren't able to cut it if you are here (lower the bar and it's easy for people to look good)

So tired of this mentality.

So with your analogy. If you are a super salesman who sells 50 cars a month for like 10 years and now in the last couple of years you are only selling like 1 or 2 cars a month, should your employer keep you around because of what you USED TO DO?

The Sedins are no where what they used to be and I am sometimes embarrassed for them at what they are doing right now. They are getting "schooled" by younger , faster players right now. That 3 on3 play of theirs last night was atrocious. Their passing and shooting is not there anymore. Period.

Player's I would sit to get Brock in:

Eriksson

Gagner

Burmistrov

Dorsett

Vanek ( Boeser would have scored that goal too and done much more otherwise)

Put Boeser in for 2-3 games...rotate 2-3 of those other guys out of the lineup and in 3 games if he isn't producing then start coming up with another plan.

We need goal scorers ...I think we win the shootout with Boeser shooting....

6 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Eriksson

Gagner

Burmistrov

Dorsett

Put Boeser in for 2-3 games...rotate 2-3 of those other guys out of the lineup and in 3 games if he isn't producing then start coming up with another plan.

We need goal scorers ...I think we win the shootout with Boeser shooting....

Baert and Granny should be added to that list as well. They have had a slow start to the season so far. Glad to see a little competition for playing time. That's the way it should be for any team.

If Coach Green really wanted to show he had some balls he would sit a veteran to get Boeser in. I suspect it will be Virtanen though.

I watched the whole game and never even noticed Sam Gagner last night until the shootout. I'd sit him. 

Barring injury it is likely just going to be a rotation of Boeser and Virtanen sitting. It is not right but likely the way it will shake down.

22 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Eriksson

Nope.  Eriksson is way better defensively and provides great puck support for Bo. 

Gagner

Probably, but the more games he plays, the more likely his game gets better. 

Burmistrov

Nope.  Brock can't play C and I don't wanna see Gagner replace Burm as 3C

Dorsett

Nope.  Brock is not and never will be a grinder

Maybe.  Although I would really like to see Vanek get his game back and that will take time.

If Brock doesn't produce,  he will be targeted by some of the uhm...less mature fans.  I suspect Green is trying to shelter him from that, so he might sit him until  the road trip.

We are not privy to conversations going on between Brock and the coach, but according to Green, Brock agrees with the process.  It's only been 2 games.  Regardless, we all know that injuries are looming, so it won't be a long wait. 

22 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

We are not privy to conversations going on between Brock and the coach, but according to Green, Brock agrees with the process.  It's only been 2 games.  Regardless, we all know that injuries are looming, so it won't be a long wait. 

Eriksson has been better on Bo's line than he was last year...but I still don't like them together, I think Brock is just what that line needs...a finisher ...

I actually would not be surprised if this doesn't turn into "asset management" ...keeping Brock's games down will also keep him out Calder contention and make his next contract and this year's bonuses much less...

If they just didn't want him getting worn out by playing too many games...they only want him to play 50-60 games...seems arbitrary and not the league norm...but even so...

You don't sit him to start...you sit him every 3-4 games for one game....maybe 2 if he had a real stinker the game before...but you don't put the kid behind the 8-ball by making him break into a real game after everybody else is up an running....it's a bit smelly...

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

So with your analogy. If you are a super salesman who sells 50 cars a month for like 10 years and now in the last couple of years you are only selling like 1 or 2 cars a month, should your employer keep you around because of what you USED TO DO?

The Sedins are no where what they used to be and I am sometimes embarrassed for them at what they are doing right now. They are getting "schooled" by younger , faster players right now. That 3 on3 play of theirs last night was atrocious. Their passing and shooting is not there anymore. Period.

Considering they are about to retire soon, you let them finish their careers with dignity and honour. They have, after all, played their entire careers with us and broken records. Does loyalty mean nothing to you? 

On 10/9/2017 at 11:43 PM, MrCanuck94 said:

Burmistrov was pretty underwhelming to me, I wouldn't mind scratching him to add Brock in and flip some players around.

Sedins - Vanek

Bae - Bo - Eriksson

Virtanen - Gagner - Boeser

Granlund - Sutter - Dorsett

Also, Boeser can swap in on PP1 and man the left point and clap home one-timers all day ;)

I would like this lineup as well or swap eriksson Boeser, but Green doesn't seem to like Gagner as a C.

Who will come out for Boeser?

Candidates:

Dorsett - Playing well and our team lacks grit so doubt it

Virtanen - Playing well and our team lacks speed and grit so doubt it

Gagner - They put a lot of money into him so doubt it

My Top Condidates:

Vanek - Based off early play I would want him even though he scored last game

Burmistrov - Agree he has been underwhleming, but he hasnt been bad and the coach seems to like that line with Gagner and Virtanen

What I would like:

Baerstchi-Horvat-Eriksson

Sedin-Sedin-Virtanen - Virtanen's speed and physciality and RHS could open things up for them

Vanek-Gagner-Boeser - Gagner and Vanek can T it up for Brock

Granlund-Sutter-Dorsett

* I think there would be less of a negative reaction to Burmistrov being sat for Boeser and I am interested to see Gagner play a game at C

58 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Considering they are about to retire soon, you let them finish their careers with dignity and honour. They have, after all, played their entire careers with us and broken records. Does loyalty mean nothing to you? 

Loyalty or pity? Yes they have been great players for us but do we need to continue to play them on the #1 PP and #1 line until that such day comes? Or do we resign them because of what they have done for us all of these years?  You are right, dignity and honor, help them realize there time  playing in the NHL is ending and hang up the skates before they embarrass themselves further. Finish while "still on top" so to speak.

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I would like this lineup as well or swap eriksson Boeser, but Green doesn't seem to like Gagner as a C.

Who will come out for Boeser?

Candidates:

Dorsett - Playing well and our team lacks grit so doubt it

Virtanen - Playing well and our team lacks speed and grit so doubt it

Gagner - They put a lot of money into him so doubt it

My Top Condidates:

Vanek - Based off early play I would want him even though he scored last game

Burmistrov - Agree he has been underwhleming, but he hasnt been bad and the coach seems to like that line with Gagner and Virtanen

What I would like:

Baerstchi-Horvat-Eriksson

Sedin-Sedin-Virtanen - Virtanen's speed and physciality and RHS could open things up for them

Vanek-Gagner-Boeser - Gagner and Vanek can T it up for Brock

Granlund-Sutter-Dorsett

I suggested playing Virt with the Twins too. Others thought it was not a good idea. Virt could be the next Hansen or Burrows. Who knows, they all may benefit from such a match up.

Just now, EdgarM said:

I suggested playing Virt with the Twins too. Others thought it was not a good idea. Virt could be the next Hansen or Burrows. Who knows, they all may benefit from such a match up.

Yea I think he could bring out the best in them.

He can Skate, Hit and Shoot and he is young. 

He seems to have it figured out now how to be a professional and being a fixture on their line this year could be a great thing for all of them. I would like to see them get a chance together.

Archived