The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The curious case of Brock Boeser

kurtzfan

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I suggested playing Virt with the Twins too. Others thought it was not a good idea. Virt could be the next Hansen or Burrows. Who knows, they all may benefit from such a match up.

Virtanen should be playing with other linemates around his age and ability level. The Sedins have Vanek or Eriksson to play with.

The elusive search for a Sedin linemate should be over now. They are in the twilight of their careers and the focus has to be on the future, not the past.

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Virtanen should be playing with other linemates around his age and ability level. The Sedins have Vanek or Eriksson to play with.

The elusive search for a Sedin linemate should be over now. They are in the twilight of their careers and the focus has to be on the future, not the past.

Agree, It would be counter productive to put Virtanen into a cycle game. He needs to become that power forward with speed and his linemates should be able to keep up.

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Virtanen has the ability to play the cycle game but honestly I think the Sedins need to retire after this season while they are still respectable. They have really slowed down and their passes aren't great anymore. Hopefully Green keeps limiting their ice time and I hope they retire after this season when their contract is up so we could use that cap money somewhere else like defense. 

24 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think vanek is a viable option. His lack of speed makes them even more vulnerable. Ericksson maybe.

You are right about their career but unfortunately they are still here for a full season. Therefore, someone has to play with them. Does Virt not need mentors? Did Burrows have the "ability level" to play on their line? or Hansen?

The "future" is Virt and his ability to "develop" into a regular NHL hockey player.

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Virtanen has the ability to play the cycle game but honestly I think the Sedins need to retire after this season while they are still respectable. They have really slowed down and their passes aren't great anymore. Hopefully Green keeps limiting their ice time and I hope they retire after this season when their contract is up so we could use that cap money somewhere else like defense. 

Same. They still can play, but they look far more pedestrian in the last couple of years than they have years previous. Staying and grinding out a couple more seasons isn't the best plan for two players in their late 30s.

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't think vanek is a viable option. His lack of speed makes them even more vulnerable. Ericksson maybe.

Well, their line was responsible for both of the goals yesterday, so they've been somewhat effective.

You are right about their career but unfortunately they are still here for a full season. Therefore, someone has to play with them.

Certainly someone has to play with them, and Vanek or Eriksson are those players.

Does Virt not need mentors? Did Burrows have the "ability level" to play on their line?

Virtanen is looking great out there now. "Mentorship" is great, but I think he's past that point of needing that now. When I speak of "ability level", I'm talking about Jake's speed, strength, and endurance. The Sedins are "15 years older" than him, so their "ability" isn't at the same level anymore, regardless of fitness.

The "future" is Virt and his ability to "develop" into a regular NHL hockey player.

Virtanen is a "regular" NHL hockey player.

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Same. They still can play, but they look far more pedestrian in the last couple of years than they have years previous. Staying and grinding out a couple more seasons isn't the best plan for two players in their late 30s.

I think they have reached a point where its best to retire and give the younger players in the organization a chance. Its at a point where even if they play 2 or 3 more seasons, they won't be any closer to the cup than they were in 2011 and they already have collected enough money to retire. At some point their passion for the game will take a dip because of their performance on the ice. Maybe they could join the Canucks as advisors in the near future if they want to help the team and stay in the organization.

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I think they have reached a point where its best to retire and give the younger players in the organization a chance. Its at a point where even if they play 2 or 3 more seasons, they won't be any closer to the cup than they were in 2011 and they already have collected enough money to retire. At some point their passion for the game will take a dip because of their performance on the ice. Maybe they could join the Canucks as advisors in the near future if they want to help the team and stay in the organization.

I truly don't understand why they don't look to sign with a contending team willing to take them on. That's the only thing left for them to do, why not at least try?

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I truly don't understand why they don't look to sign with a contending team willing to take them on. That's the only thing left for them to do, why not at least try?

that is a little disturbing to me as well.

Of course their defenders will say how its so great and rare for elite HHoF players to want to play their whole careers with one organization (See Stevie Y) And the fact that they DON'T just want to jump ship when its half sunk. That same quality we admired in Bieksa when he proclaimed he was going down with this ship (if he had his way).

But the other side of the coin is that it begs the question...just how important IS and WAS the Stanley Cup to them?  As opposed to say an Olympic or World Cup?  Especially in those years where we had a chance. Of course any NHL player wants a SC ring on their mantle as a sign of personal achievement. And obviously they'd love to have won it all in '11. We know they gave 100%  (But did they give 110%?) Any Canadian born superstar, ie. Iginla who had an equally strong relationship with his community, would be more than willing to move to a city with a shot at winning the Cup in their twilight years if the team they were now on was in a rebuild.  Yes its heartwarming in a way that they'd rather stay in their favorite city evah, to be mentors to the youth, rather than go try to win the Cup somewhere else, but what does that say about how important it is or has been to win the Cup for them personally during their careers here?

Of course if they had chosen to move for that reason, it should have been done after their last contract expired. Or soon after. The ring was getting further and further away with every spin on merry go round after 2011.

6 hours ago, danjr said:

Vanek = Correct

Eriksson = Correct

Sedin's = are you daft?

Seriously I hope someone comes into your job and tells you to pack up your crap because you no longer matter.  Even though you are still doing as good or better than everyone else there.  You could have been the best employee that they have ever had and made the company better than it ever has been.  But we want to make way for people who just aren't able to cut it if you are here (lower the bar and it's easy for people to look good)

So tired of this mentality.

That analogy is foolish.  I don't know how you gleamed that much information form me with the few words I had... but I guess you can assume anything you want.

Seems like you took exception to the Sedins comment.  To extend your metaphor:  if your job is a professional athlete, you get paid to perform.  It's not like you are an accountant.  Your abilities decline over time, and at a certain point you are not capable of being the same player and doing the same things...  IMHO the Sedins are at that point, they have slowed down tot he point where they are liabilities.  Sure they can still stickhandle and make some amazing plays, but they won't be able to "get there" to make those plays anymore.  Certainly not as the season wears on, and if we ever get into the playoffs they are liabilities.  I want to see them retire as the best canucks in history - imho - after this season, because they know it is time - and has been for a while.  I don't want them to keep playing like they are doing.  They are such shadows of themselves it is depressing to watch.

37 minutes ago, kilgore said:

that is a little disturbing to me as well.

Of course their defenders will say how its so great and rare for elite HHoF players to want to play their whole careers with one organization (See Stevie Y) And the fact that they DON'T just want to jump ship when its half sunk. That same quality we admired in Bieksa when he proclaimed he was going down with this ship (if he had his way).

But the other side of the coin is that it begs the question...just how important IS and WAS the Stanley Cup to them?  As opposed to say an Olympic or World Cup?  Especially in those years where we had a chance. Of course any NHL player wants a SC ring on their mantle as a sign of personal achievement. And obviously they'd love to have won it all in '11. We know they gave 100%  (But did they give 110%?) Any Canadian born superstar, ie. Iginla who had an equally strong relationship with his community, would be more than willing to move to a city with a shot at winning the Cup in their twilight years if the team they were now on was in a rebuild.  Yes its heartwarming in a way that they'd rather stay in their favorite city evah, to be mentors to the youth, rather than go try to win the Cup somewhere else, but what does that say about how important it is or has been to win the Cup for them personally during their careers here?

Of course if they had chosen to move for that reason, it should have been done after their last contract expired. Or soon after. The ring was getting further and further away with every spin on merry go round after 2011.

You are making something out of nothing. Simple as that. They don't have to move to another city to prove anything to people like you. Its funny how you talk about it like moving cities isn't a big deal, but they would have to uproot their families, and disrupt the lives of their kids etc. Its perfectly ok to choose quality of life over being a late rental on a team you have no history with for the chance at a trophy. 

15 minutes ago, butters said:

You are making something out of nothing. Simple as that. They don't have to move to another city to prove anything to people like you. Its funny how you talk about it like moving cities isn't a big deal, but they would have to uproot their families, and disrupt the lives of their kids etc. Its perfectly ok to choose quality of life over being a late rental on a team you have no history with for the chance at a trophy. 

I knew I'd be upsetting the sacred applecart.  I have no problem with them deciding whatever they decide. They've earned it, and I have the utmost respect for their decision. It is admirable in a way and is a great pat on the back to those of us living in Vancouver. But you can't avoid thinking about the why though. Its hard for me to even come up with a name of a past or future HHoF player, who had not won a Cup yet, not going to a contending team in his latter years. Uprooting families of players is done every year, its part of the job. And most do it without a promise of playing for a contender.

30 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

IMHO the Sedins are at that point, they have slowed down tot he point where they are liabilities. 

Liabilities in what way?  They'll score more than the average player, they play decent defensively, they're great in the locker room, their cap hit means nothing on a rebuilding team.  

Archived