The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Army joins forces with TSN 1040

PhillipBlunt

The Canucks Army blog spot has officially, kinda, moved up in the world of Vancouver sports media. They now have a radio show on TSN 1040.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/10/10/announcing-the-launch-of-canucks-army-radio-on-tsn-1040-am/

This unholiest of unions makes my skin crawl. TSN 1040 has become a joke locally when it comes to Canucks coverage. The majority of the on air "personalities" are, at the best of times, a bunch of trolls that use whatever opportunity they can to take shots at the Canucks. Patterson, Botchford, Sekeres, Price, Moj....any and every asinine sports journalist this city has, works there. Taylor and MacDonald are the only saving grace that steaming pile of a radio station has.

Canucks Army is one of the biggest collections of analytics weasels in the city, with JD Burke, being their head weasel. Don't get me wrong, analytics has a place in professional sports, just not what CA envisions.

Clearly these are birds of a feather flocking together in light of the Canucks making the right decision in moving away from the cesspool of mediocrity that 1040 is, and instead, allying themselves with Sportsnet 650.

Be warned, Canucks faithful, tuning into 1040 these days is bad for your health.

Mods: Not sure where this should go, but feel free to move it, if necessary.

lol, joined "forces".  Forces of snark, whinging, drama, controversy-fabricating, fakenews, zero-source speculation, yellow journalism, and general Canuck-bashing by local know-nothing hacks and foreign transplants,  Only natural that they would gravitate to one another and create a conglomerate of Canuck mockery and hatred to aggravate and exacerbate the inferiority complex of the fanbase.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

lol, joined "forces".  Forces of snark, whinging, drama, controversy-fabricating, fakenews, zero-source speculation, yellow journalism, and general Canuck-bashing by local know-nothing hacks and foreign transplants,  Only natural that they would gravitate to one another and create a conglomerate of Canuck mockery and hatred to aggravate and exacerbate the inferiority complex of the fanbase.

That was poetry, Hutton Wink.

Yeah, Donny, Barry, and Scotty are still good; was hoping they would be the first to move to 650.

But alas, it was not to be; even with them I haven't been able to listen to 1040 for a long time now.

Sportsnet 650 is dull though, can't listen for long before it's a real bore too; and it's way too Torronna Centric.

They should use their regional resources to get back to the Nux, Leos, Caps, and Team Canada only.

And get some smart guys with a sense of humour, like John Garrett for example, and interview Nux & Leos Alumni.

When are people going to learn that sports radio is as real as pro wrestling.  their job is sensationalism.  they stir you all up because it's easier to get angry fans to tune in to disagree than to attempt to make the listeners happy regurgitating homer-ish opinions. Don't get me wrong; i think TSN 1040 is as hack as it gets.  It's just that it isn't much different from the majority of sports talk radio in general.

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yeah, Donny, Barry, and Scotty are still good; was hoping they would be the first to move to 650.

But alas, it was not to be; even with them I haven't been able to listen to 1040 for a long time now.

Sportsnet 650 is dull though, can't listen for long before it's a real bore too; and it's way too Torronna Centric.

They should use their regional resources to get back to the Nux, Leos, Caps, and Team Canada only.

And get some smart guys with a sense of humour, like John Garrett for example, and interview Nux & Leos Alumni.

Does Vancouver really need another all local teams radio station? So two stations spinning the same piece of yarn all day long? Sounds terrible.

2 minutes ago, wshdrvvn said:

When are people going to learn that sports radio is as real as pro wrestling.  their job is sensationalism.  they stir you all up because it's easier to get angry fans to tune in to disagree than to attempt to make the listeners happy regurgitating homer-ish opinions. Don't get me wrong; i think TSN 1040 is as hack as it gets.  It's just that it isn't much different from the majority of sports talk radio in general.

I respectfully disagree. It usually gravitates towards that approach, but there are some on air reporters that deliver the straight goods, very few mind you, but they still do exist.

I do agree that it has to be almost impossible to talk at length about a game or athlete without pumping some opinion into the mix. For me, it's the fact that quite a few of the jackasses on 1040 seem bent on creating controversy regarding the Canucks, for no real reason. Leaking news about trades, making up rumours regarding players....that kind of thing is completely unnecessary.

29 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks Army blog spot has officially, kinda, moved up in the world of Vancouver sports media. They now have a radio show on TSN 1040.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/10/10/announcing-the-launch-of-canucks-army-radio-on-tsn-1040-am/

This unholiest of unions makes my skin crawl. TSN 1040 has become a joke locally when it comes to Canucks coverage. The majority of the on air "personalities" are, at the best of times, a bunch of trolls that use whatever opportunity they can to take shots at the Canucks. Patterson, Botchford, Sekeres, Price, Moj....any and every asinine sports journalist this city has, works there. Taylor, MacDonald, and Rintoul are the only saving grace that steaming pile of a radio station has.

Canucks Army is one of the biggest collections of analytics weasels in the city, with JD Burke, being their head weasel. Don't get me wrong, analytics has a place in professional sports, just not what CA envisions.

Clearly these are birds of a feather flocking together in light of the Canucks making the right decision in moving away from the cesspool of mediocrity that 1040 is, and instead, allying themselves with Sportsnet 650.

Be warned, Canucks faithful, tuning into 1040 these days is bad for your health.

Mods: Not sure where this should go, but feel free to move it, if necessary.

sounds like they are both on the dark side now:o

4 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Does Vancouver really need another all local teams radio station? So two stations spinning the same piece of yarn all day long? Sounds terrible.

True. Vancouver isn't New York or Toronto where the sheer size of the city or population would warrant multiple stations. I'm all for shutting down 1040.

16 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Well, the station with the Canucks rights is required, don't you think?

There can still exist varying opinions, formats, and topics.

Why would you want to listen to "two stations spinning the same piece of yarn all day long"?

I really can't stand the old schticks like Pratt and Jake's fake womanizing and Moj's boring, "Let's Listen to Paint Dry".

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Taylor, MacDonald, and Rintoul are the only saving grace that steaming pile of a radio station has.

And 2 of those are gone and Taylor sounds more and more like a old man that yells at clouds all day.  I like Price, he tells it as it is. 

Is it just me or does TSN1040 seem like it does 20min of ads every hour.  Take the end of a show for instance, 2:30-2:45 they talk, 2:45-2:50 ads, 2:50 - 2:55 crossover(which offers 0 substance) 2:55 - 3:05 more ads.  So in that 30min block is 10min of ads.  Why the @#$% do they need so much ad revenue for, to pay for the Lions rights lol?  Just give me the US sports shows, Outkick the Coverage, Mike & Mike and the DP show. 

The only guys who are 1) entertaining, and 2) know their stuff are Halford & Brough. I DL their podcasts pretty faithfully.

But other than that, the quality of sports radio in Vancouver is quite poor. Here in Calgary it is significantly better (with the exception of the aforementioned, anyways).

I like Halford and Brough from 1040 and Perry Solkowski and Janda from Sportsnet 650, they are probably the only good sections of the radio shows problematic though that both are on the same time haha.

Honestly, It doesn't matter so much to me as much when the hosts from both programs have polarizing opinions.  Maybe thats just me and my young mind wanting to hear the many possibilities, but I dont mind it.  

They often ask odd questions or create odd possibilities to talk about, but honestly I find it refreshing to hear the many different perspectives of the team and players.  Even if its super out there, it makes you think about the what ifs.

Media creates controversy, that is what keeps you listening.  Canucks Army is a fan site that really doesn't like the team or players and use analytics to tell you why.  I suppose it is the appropriate next step to the talking heads just using the eye test to tell you why they don't like the team.

To be fair though, over the decades the Canucks have been one of the least successful franchises in the league.  Criticism is fair and well earned.  Yes there are a number of trolls in the Gallagher mode who attack everything the team does no matter what the level of success.  That being said with the long standing generalized failure of the team is it unfair to default to negative?

Archived