The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Value of B. Hutton

He has a manageable contract and is still quite young especially for a defenseman in the NHL. If we give Pouliot a shot this could lead Hutton to be available for trade.

We could package Hutton with a forward like Baertschi to try and upgrade @ F with someone who could really compliment Horvat. I just don't see the fit or chemistry with Eriksson so far. Maybe someone who has a bit of edge to his game but can also keep up with Bo's speed. I also would like to see Virtanen get a chance again with him at some point. Maybe a Virtanen Bo Granny/Boeser line could be tried out?

The typical 2 big names that are rumoured to be available or clearly are:

1. E. Kane- Local kid, speed, size pending UFA (No guarantee that he would just sign here July 1) So why not look at acquiring via trade? He is off to a hot start this year so likely wont come cheap if they are willing to move him. Unsure if they have had any contract extension talks with him yet or not.

2. Matt Duchene- Many on CDC will say he is too old, well our skilled C ages go from 37 to 22. Adding in a 26yr Duchene would also ease the pressure on Bo when the Sedins retire & also ease the pressure off a young Pettersson. Duchene has great speed and skill, can play C or W, he also clearly needs a change of scenery.

Lineup I would like to see:

Sedin Sedin Granlund - Think Granny has the speed and some snarl to do some forechecking & also back check, plus some prior chemsitry

Virtanen Horvat Duchene/E.Kane - Aggressive, speedy & some scoring, potential new top line

Eriksson Sutter Boeser - Two 2 way forwards to play with Boeser

Vanek Gagner Dorsett - 4 line team can still use Vanek in a top 9 role for Virt or Boeser if they need some sheltering

Burmi/Gaunce

Edler Stecher- Was a good pairing last season

Del Zotto Gudbranson- looks like a good pairing, I do hope we keep Guddy & try to re sign him after Jan 1, trade him by deadline if he wont sign tho

Pouliot Tanev - Not a 3rd pairing for Tanev just a solid Defensive guy if Pouliot pans out was my thinking behind this pairing

Biega

So off the current roster would be Baertschi & Hutton along with prospect or pick for said 2nd line player

Hutton is a top 6D at the moment on a team that is not exactly stacked on defence. So, I'd say the value is not that high, except that he is a bit young and that he does have some upside.

Even in a package with Baertschi + pick (unless the pick is top 10 pick), I doubt he gets us something good like Kane or Duchene.

The cost for Duchene will be prohibitive IMO. The Isles offered Hamonic + 1st for him this summer, then consider that Hamonic himself went for a 1st and two 2nds. So in essence Sakic turned down two 1sts and two 2nds. You can debate whether it was wise for him to turn something like that down but establishes the benchmark for what is looking for. It just doesn't seem worth it for a team like the Canucks to pay something like that. I would stick to the course and draft and develop our own talent rather than dabble in such kind of trades.

10 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Why not trade for Duchene and sign Kane in the summer.

Hutton + Baertschi + pick for Duchene + pick

Next year’s top 9:

Kane Duchene Boeser

Goldi Horvat Eriksson

Granlund Sutter Virtanen

Oh if we could do that for sure. I have always liked Duchene & think he would be a great addition

I would be more interested in a deal for Galchenyuk involving Hutton.  It could be another reclamation project but the guy scored 30 goals not too long ago and is only 23.  Galchenyuk seems to be struggling in Montreal so maybe his value is lower now, though my guess is that there would be a host of other teams interested if he was on the market which would likely put us out of the running.

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

The cost for Duchene will be prohibitive IMO. The Isles offered Hamonic + 1st for him this summer, then consider that Hamonic himself went for a 1st and two 2nds. So in essence Sakic turned down two 1sts and two 2nds. You can debate whether it was wise for him to turn something like that down but establishes the benchmark for what is looking for. It just doesn't seem worth it for a team like the Canucks to pay something like that. I would stick to the course and draft and develop our own talent rather than dabble in such kind of trades.

The cost was high, I think the situation needs to be dealt with sooner than later. Not saying they will give him away but I also do value assets going back to help a team now higher than draft picks. What the Isles got for hamonic is a whole lot of unknown in terms of what they will get. getting Hutton & Baer is something they can use now and continue to develop and grow with immediately.

1 minute ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I would be more interested in a deal for Galchenyuk involving Hutton.  It could be another reclamation project but the guy scored 30 goals not too long ago and is only 23.  Galchenyuk seems to be struggling in Montreal so maybe his value is lower now, though my guess is that there would be a host of other teams interested if he was on the market which would likely put us out of the running.

Gally is an interesting player for sure. Not sure why Montreal seems so against giving the guy  proper minutes. Is he that bad defensively? He has the skill without a doubt.

25 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Gally is an interesting player for sure. Not sure why Montreal seems so against giving the guy  proper minutes. Is he that bad defensively? He has the skill without a doubt.

I suspect it's that Gally is best at centre but isn't very good on faceoffs and there are analytics article discussing his defensive deficiencies.  There was an article stating that he was played at wing, he played with more defence oriented players while being expected to produce which might have hurt his production (especially as he was coming off of an injury).  I'm not sure how true that is.

I'm not sure how Gally would fit with the Canucks.  He seems to do better at centre but perhaps he would be a good winger with the right group of more offensive-minded forwards (e.g. Horvat, etc.).

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Why not trade for Duchene and sign Kane in the summer.

Hutton + Baertschi + pick for Duchene + pick

Next year’s top 9:

Kane Duchene Boeser

Goldi Horvat Eriksson

Granlund Sutter Virtanen

Love that lineup but unless you're giving up our 1st round pick + either Dahlen/Petterson/Juolevi/another grade A prospect that trade for Duchene isn't happening. Why do you think Sakic is holding out for so long? It's definitely not to wait for a trade consisting of Hutton and Baertschi.. 

40 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I suspect it's that Gally is best at centre but isn't very good on faceoffs and there are analytics article discussing his defensive deficiencies.  There was an article stating that he was played at wing, he played with more defence oriented players while being expected to produce which might have hurt his production (especially as he was coming off of an injury).  I'm not sure how true that is.

I'm not sure how Gally would fit with the Canucks.  He seems to do better at centre but perhaps he would be a good winger with the right group of more offensive-minded forwards (e.g. Horvat, etc.).

Just FYI. "Gally" is Gallagher's nickname.  Galchenyuk's nickname is "Chuckie" 

14 minutes ago, Hectic said:

Love that lineup but unless you're giving up our 1st round pick + either Dahlen/Petterson/Juolevi/another grade A prospect that trade for Duchene isn't happening. Why do you think Sakic is holding out for so long? It's definitely not to wait for a trade consisting of Hutton and Baertschi.. 

Sakic is shooting himself in the foot. he can hold out and demand all the riches he wants but the market determines the value.  In the end it's going to cost him and he's going to have to take a much smaller return.  Like canucks did with Luongo

Hutton is a bottom pairing defenceman on a relatively thin defence so honestly I don't think he cracks many team's top-6s. His value is probably at a career low right now too, and he's a former 5th round pick.

The smart management of Hutton would be to try and groom and develop him from within and stick on to him. Find him a nice sturdy defence partner because Stecher and Hutton is a bit of a disaster together. It's a shame because our top-4 look so good right now, you don't want to disrupt them at all.

I'd certainly be intrigued to see what Pouliot can bring though and would be happy to sit Hutton for a few games to give Derrick a chance.

Hutton hasn't shown the progression we had all hoped.  I particularly had high hopes for him, as his rookie season was actually the kind of season some pretty high end defensemen had in their own rookie years.

Unfortunately, he hasn't shown much and that means his value is not nearly enough to warrant moving him, imo.  We just wouldn't get the return to make it worthwhile.  Additionally, I still believe there is upside to him and I'd hate to give him away for little only to see that upside realized elsewhere.

Don't worry Pouliot fans - injuries will happen and I imagine he's next on the list.

11 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

His value would depend on who you would trade him to. I'd imagine a team like Montreal or Ottawa could use him. We don't really have a replacement for him unless Juolevi or Brisebois make massive progress this year. 

Speaking as a Montreal fan.  I do t really see where he would fit given their current roster.  That's not a slight on Hutton. I just don't see who he replaces. 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Speaking as a Montreal fan.  I do t really see where he would fit given their current roster.  That's not a slight on Hutton. I just don't see who he replaces. 

I think he's probably Montreal's 4th best defensemen if we're talking about the current situation. 

Archived