The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canadiens actively shopping Mark Streit

The Mark Streit era seems to be nearing its end in Montreal once again, as the Canadiens are trying to trade the veteran rearguard, Sportsnet's Eric Engels reports.

Streit was added to Montreal's roster during the offseason in an attempt to offset the offensive production lost with Andrei Markov's move to the KHL.

The 39-year-old rearguard is in his second tour of duty with the Canadiens. Across two games this season, Streit has zero points and three shots on goal.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1395195

3 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Good optics for Bergevin. Come join the Habs and if things don’t look great we’ll try sending you out the door a couple games in. Sure sends a good message to free agents.

Nobody expected Mete to make the roster and be as good as he's been.  Montreal now has Schlemko coming off IR and needs to make moves.  You don't keep Streit because of optics

Sounds more like put the guy on waivers, highly doubt they get any offer in a trade for him. Vegas is the team with the surplus of D men they are trying to regain assets for after poaching far too many in the expansion draft hoping they could move them quickly for assets. Now they got some good assets in the AHL just to make room for the extra d...they are 3-0 so far tho!!

Bergevin Put Streit on waivers tomorrow @ 9am

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Straight up for the Bulddog?

Not sure that really helps our depth. Biega has shown he can jump in after weeks of sitting. At Streit's age I doubt he could do the same.

I was thinking more along the lines of him playing in Utica and showing our young puck movers how to run a powerplay. Then when injuries inevitably hit he can fill in temporarily. 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure that really helps our depth. Biega has shown he can jump in after weeks of sitting. At Streit's age I doubt he could do the same.

I was thinking more along the lines of him playing in Utica and showing our young puck movers how to run a powerplay. Then when injuries inevitably hit he can fill in temporarily. 

I don't think the Comets would want another veteran on the roster. Only five veteran players can dress in an AHL game and they currently have seven on the roster - Chaput, Megna, Archibald, Sifers, Wiercioch, Bancks, and Hamilton.

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don't think the Comets would want another veteran on the roster. Only five veteran players can dress in an AHL game and they currently have seven on the roster - Chaput, Megna, Archibald, Sifers, Wiercioch, Bancks, and Hamilton.

I think he would bring more to the table in terms of being a mentor than Sifers or Wiercioch. 

We are trying to teach guys like Brisebois, Chatfield and Subban how to run a powerplay after all. Hard to argue that a guy who has played more than 800 games and put up over 400 points (mostly on the powerplay) wouldn't be invaluable in that regard.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think he would bring more to the table in terms of being a mentor than Sifers or Wiercioch. 

We are trying to teach guys like Brisebois, Chatfield and Subban how to run a powerplay after all. Hard to argue that a guy who has played more than 800 games and put up over 400 points (mostly on the powerplay) wouldn't be invaluable in that regard.

I forgot to add Rodin and Boucher to my original post which would make it nine players, but one of them could be exempt from veteran status depending on who they dress.

I understand your point, and it would be valuable for the young defencemen. But given the current situation in Utica, and the logjam of veteran players, I don't see it being much of a possibility, or at least for now. Unless there is a domino effect where we see multiple veterans being shipped out and then looking to acquire Streit.

It was only a horrible deal because Bergevin lost PK and Markov and then followed it up by trading what would have been a big piece to their D going forward.

As far as the players value goes it's pretty even. Drouin will likely be a first line player in a couple years. While Sergachev projects to be a top 4 D that plays a soid two way game.

Archived