The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canadiens actively shopping Mark Streit

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I forgot to Rodin and Boucher to my original post which would make it nine players, but one of them could be exempt from veteran status depending on who they dress.

I understand your point, and it would be valuable for the young defencemen. But given the current situation in Utica, and the logjam of veteran players, I don't see it being much of a possibility, or at least for now. Unless there is a domino effect where we see multiple veterans being shipped out and then looking to acquire Streit.

Dump Boucher, Megna, and Sifers. I don't think they provide much to the big club now. We have better depth options that are younger and deserve a shot.

Archibald should be with the big club at some point too IMO.

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

it seems to be the case, but if that's any part of it, it's tremendously stupid.

so many things wrong with that deal.

It is... but there's a lot of things about Bergevin that you can say that about. I don't understand why some people think he's doing a good job. 

19 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I forgot to add Rodin and Boucher to my original post which would make it nine players, but one of them could be exempt from veteran status depending on who they dress.

I understand your point, and it would be valuable for the young defencemen. But given the current situation in Utica, and the logjam of veteran players, I don't see it being much of a possibility, or at least for now. Unless there is a domino effect where we see multiple veterans being shipped out and then looking to acquire Streit.

Boucher is a veteran exempt - they only have him with between 260 and 320 games.  He can always play.  With Boucher being veteran exempt it allows for 5 vets of more than 320 games.  Comets have indeed 8 of them on the roster.

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It is... but there's a lot of things about Bergevin that you can say that about. I don't understand why some people think he's doing a good job. 

I'm not sure there's many people who think he's doing a good job.  The exception are people who care more about a French identity than a winning team 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

If he clears waivers, offer them a 7th round pick.

Good depth option at least. Put up 30 points last season.

What? Why would you need an almost 40 year old who is done and pay a 7th to take on someone else's mistake?

Habs pay 7th if they want someone to take him off their hands. 

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

New Jersey maybe? Their defense doesn't really have any puck movers. Only team I can think of that could even use him.

Not sure they have a need what with the way Will Butcher is playing for them...

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

What? Why would you need an almost 40 year old who is done and pay a 7th to take on someone else's mistake?

Streit makes $700k a year and Montreal has over $7m in cap space even with him on the. roster. They can afford to bury him in the minors and take the cap hit if no one claims him.  There's no need to spend assets to get rid of him. Bergevin likes having defensive depth. If they can't trade him they'll waive him and keep him for depth in the minors. 

1 hour ago, Cup2021 said:

Does MTL have any available buyouts? That's the only way I see them getting rid of Streit. I can't think of any teams looking for D like him.

Buyouts can only take place in the offseason.  He has $700k cap hit. Not a big deal if they can't trade him. They waive him and have him in the minors for emergencies. The major concern is making room for Schlemko when he comes off the IR 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Because a 7th round pick is basically offering nothing for him.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Because a 7th round pick is basically offering nothing for him.

No it's not nothing, it's a 7th round pick. 

Why would you want a player that's done? Why add him onto y0ur 50 contract limit when you're close to limit already? why pay the 700k from business point of view. 

I can't think of one good reason to even pick him up for free rather than paying a 7th or his 700k salary from management perspective. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

No it's not nothing, it's a 7th round pick. 

Why would you want a player that's done? Why add him onto y0ur 50 contract limit when you're close to limit already? why pay the 700k from business point of view. 

I can't think of one good reason to even pick him up for free rather than paying a 7th or his 700k salary from management perspective. 

A 7th round pick has like a 2% chance of playing in the NHL.

Streit provides mentorship to a young dcore in Utica, as well as a 9th/10th spot on your depth chart.

I could think of many worse ways to spend a 7th round pick.

Give up a pick for a 39 year old.

Could just imagine the whinging on these boards.

Zero need to acquire Streit.

Zero need for the Habs to worry about dumping him - he's a virtually inconsequential signing.   Ermagerd, the Habs gave Streit $700k.  How will they dump him?   Who cares?

5 hours ago, Yotes said:

Sounds more like put the guy on waivers, highly doubt they get any offer in a trade for him. Vegas is the team with the surplus of D men they are trying to regain assets for after poaching far too many in the expansion draft hoping they could move them quickly for assets. Now they got some good assets in the AHL just to make room for the extra d...they are 3-0 so far tho!!

Bergevin Put Streit on waivers tomorrow @ 9am

Yea but at the cost of keeping arguably their best forward in Shipachyov in the minors and a young stud in Theodore down there as well

The habs are a mess from top to bottom (besides price)

they are more lost than the canucks are and that’s saying something! 

They had one bullet in the gun (Sergachev) to bring in a true centre but they used it on a scoring winger converted to C. Not saying Drouin isn’t a bad pick up just kinda redundant 

let radulov walk

have 3 top 4 dman (Weber, petry and alzner)

2nd line centre in Philip danault...I know I’m scared too 

chucky’s value is dropping every time he hits the ice at this point it’s probably at a mid level nhl’er and 2nd pick

Radulov left...add drouin

markov left...add alzner 

depth guys left...add hemsky

these are lateral moves and for a supposed “win now” mode hockey team it’s a joke 

they haven’t been able to score goals for years and they refuse to solve it yet instead they continue to hunt down these bargain type players which some have worked and others not so much

buck up and add to this drowning franchise or prepare for the torches and pitch forks in April cause they’ll be coming for you bergevin 

14 hours ago, canucklehead80 said:

Good optics for Bergevin. Come join the Habs and if things don’t look great we’ll try sending you out the door a couple games in. Sure sends a good message to free agents.

Yep, and it's not the first time he did it either.  A few years ago it was Semin and I wouldn't be surprise if Hemsky was next.

Archived