The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canadiens actively shopping Mark Streit

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

D'Aoust for Galchenyuk

Brisebois for Gallagher

how about Sutter, Breisbois and Boucher? Boucher sounds French enough and Sutter adds a little scoring and shut down ability. Plus we'd need the cap space for Chucky. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how about Sutter, Breisbois and Boucher? Boucher sounds French enough and Sutter adds a little scoring and shut down ability. Plus we'd need the cap space for Chucky. 

Considering their GM needs to turn things around in Habville fast or he's done, there just might be a chance to steal Chucky.  Likely though, it's Duchene the .Habs are after.  French name too.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Considering their GM needs to turn things around in Habville fast or he's done, there just might be a chance to steal Chucky.  Likely though, it's Duchene the .Habs are after.  French name too.

Bergevin and Sakic... that deal should happen in about 10 years. 

34 minutes ago, apollo said:

MB should be fired. 

Really not respecting shopping a guy this soon after he signed as a free agent. 

that's absurd.

Streit was a marginal NHL asset who got an NHL contract.

He has absolutely nothing to complain about - he lost his spot to a player that is better than him at this point - and got an NHL payday in the process.

Bergevin may deserve to be fired, but not for something as fair and insignificant as this.

If Benning waives Vanek, or Burmistrov or other this year to make room for an AHL prospect that is commanding a roster spot - so be it - fair is fair.

It's a merit game that goes both ways - not an obligation to respect veterans in the form of gifting them undeserved roster spots.

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

that's absurd.

Streit was a marginal NHL asset who got an NHL contract.

He has absolutely nothing to complain about - he lost his spot to a player that is better than him at this point - and got an NHL payday in the process.

Bergevin may deserve to be fired, but not for something as fair and insignificant as this.

If Benning waives Vanek, or Burmistrov or other this year to make room for an AHL prospect that is commanding a roster spot - so be it - fair is fair.

It's a merit game that goes both ways - not an obligation to respect veterans in the form of gifting them undeserved roster spots.

That's not all though...

Mark Streit was drafted by the Canadiens... he's the definition of a "good feel story"... 262nd overall, 9th round. He made it to the NHL and had 62 points with the Canadiens in his final year there. Ultimate underdog...

He signed for under a million... down from the 5 he was making... gave them a home town discount and now that's how he's treated? 

Bergevin has no class. I'm curious what Streit has to say about all of this. 

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

That's not all though...

Mark Streit was drafted by the Canadiens... he's the definition of a "good feel story"... 262nd overall, 9th round. He made it to the NHL and had 62 points with the Canadiens in his final year there. Ultimate underdog...

He signed for under a million... down from the 5 he was making... gave them a home town discount and now that's how he's treated? 

Bergevin has no class. I'm curious what Streit has to say about all of this. 

well, I've heard what the rest of the league had to 'say' about it - in the form of not a single waiver claim despite the hometown discount.

Can't agree with you here at all - imo this is entirely fair game - and Streit has nothing to complain about - he's made his money - and he landed a contract at 39/near 40.

Thems the breaks - both ways - good and bad.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

well, I've heard what the rest of the league had to 'say' about it - in the form of not a single waiver claim despite the hometown discount.

Can't agree with you here at all - imo this is entirely fair game - and Streit has nothing to complain about - he's made his money - and he landed a contract at 39/near 40.

Thems the breaks - both ways - good and bad.

Yea... maybe you're right.

Guy was making 5.25 mill a year... what am I wasting time defending his "hometown discount" .... even  with his hometown discount he makes more than I likely ever will in 1 year

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Yea... maybe you're right.

Guy was making 5.25 mill a year... what am I wasting time defending his "hometown discount" .... even  with his hometown discount he makes more than I likely ever will in 1 year

They owe him nothing.  They took a chance on him and brought him over as an unknown. As soon as his contract was up he bolted for the big paycheque with the Isles. Bergevin took a chance and signed him in the offseason and it didn't work out. I'm no fan of Bergevin. But there's nothing wrong with cutting Streit loose when he was outplayed by every other D they have. 

Archived