The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Harvey Weinstein Scandal Leads to Me Too Movement

DonLever

55 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

#pizzagate is real. When the bombs start dropping there will be ALOT of people on this forum hiding their heads between their arse...

For the sake of potential victims I hope you're wrong, but I am not convinced of it. It's an intriguing story.

On 10/12/2017 at 6:52 PM, DonLever said:

From  NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/harvey-weinstein-harassment-allegations.html

An investigation by The New York Times found previously undisclosed allegations against Mr. Weinstein stretching over nearly three decades, documented through interviews with current and former employees and film industry workers, as well as legal records, emails and internal documents from the businesses he has run, Miramax and the Weinstein Company.

During that time, after being confronted with allegations including sexual harassment and unwanted physical contact, Mr. Weinstein has reached at least eight settlements with women, according to two company officials speaking on the condition of anonymity. Among the recipients, The Times found, were a young assistant in New York in 1990, an actress in 1997, an assistant in London in 1998, an Italian model in 2015 and Ms. O’Connor shortly after, according to records and those familiar with the agreements.

In a statement to The Times on Thursday afternoon, Mr. Weinstein said: “I appreciate the way I’ve behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it. Though I’m trying to do better, I know I have a long way to go.”

He added that he was working with therapists and planning to take a leave of absence to “deal with this issue head on.”

Two decades ago, the Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein invited Ashley Judd to the Peninsula Beverly Hills hotel for what the young actress expected to be a business breakfast meeting. Instead, he had her sent up to his room, where he appeared in a bathrobe and asked if he could give her a massage or she could watch him shower, she recalled in an interview.

“How do I get out of the room as fast as possible without alienating Harvey Weinstein?” Ms. Judd said she remembers thinking.

In 2014, Mr. Weinstein invited Emily Nestor, who had worked just one day as a temporary employee, to the same hotel and made another offer: If she accepted his sexual advances, he would boost her career, according to accounts she provided to colleagues who sent them to Weinstein Company executives. The following year, once again at the Peninsula, a female assistant said Mr. Weinstein badgered her into giving him a massage while he was naked, leaving her “crying and very distraught,” wrote a colleague, Lauren O’Connor, in a searing memo asserting sexual harassment and other misconduct by their boss.

“There is a toxic environment for women at this company,” Ms. O’Connor said in the letter, addressed to several executives at the company run by Mr. Weinstein.

you are going to find example after example of these types of occurrences and likely never hear about so many more. Its Hollywood, it sorry to say was a culture of show business and too many people turned a blind eye, profited and became stars under this umbrella either directly or from knowing and keeping quiet.

Nobody can suggest why did it take so long for person A,B,C, and now D and so on to reveal about what happened to them as that is a personal and thing I cannot even imagine how one has to deal with this. But again these types of stories and rumours have been going on since what ? the beginning of Hollywood ? even Marilyn Monroe said you need skill to be a star but you get to stardom faster sleeping your way to the top.....don't for a minute think there are those crying foul now that were indeed game and as said earlier profited or reached stardom by what had happened too, again it sounds bad and well frankly it is. But in this case you are talking about men or a man with power, money and you are talking about up and coming talent, established stars and people who would each have something to gain out of it. I won't simply say it goes both ways, but the jokes and rumours from celebrities over the years leads anyone to believe something was going on and until now was an accepted " evil " in show biz.

20 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

So Matt Damon and Russell Crowe

The Gladiator and Jason Bourne are protecting this douche bag?

not protecting him, protecting them. It would be naive to assume you are not going to see multiple big name actors and execs involved...only thing is what will get leaked or revealed as this thing grows and envelops Hollywood. It is bad to say but this kind of stuff although known an pushed under the " red carpet " was/is an accepted evil.

48 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

not protecting him, protecting them. It would be naive to assume you are not going to see multiple big name actors and execs involved...only thing is what will get leaked or revealed as this thing grows and envelops Hollywood. It is bad to say but this kind of stuff although known an pushed under the " red carpet " was/is an accepted evil.

Okay, we're waiting for other big names to be dropped too then is what your saying. 

Jesus christ. It is like some of you sit awake at night hoping that a left wing/right wing politician/celebrity will abuse a child so that you can have something to argue about on social media.

Would be nice if people were more concerned with the fact that people are being sexually assaulted/harassed than they are with trying to prove their political position is superior. 

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Jesus christ. It is like some of you sit awake at night hoping that a left wing/right wing politician/celebrity will abuse a child so that you can have something to argue about on social media.

Would be nice if people were more concerned with the fact that people are being sexually assaulted/harassed than they are with trying to prove their political position is superior. 

Or wait until he's behind bars to celebrate.

Now is not the time to be talking about celebrity culture.

Like guns, that time was decades ago. And should be always present. It shouldn't be a flavour of the week discussion. 

This just reminds my of what a hypocrytical society Hollywood is, when Afflect came out to denounce Weinstein's behavior, it's like the pot calling the kettle black. Please just stick with the movies and keep your viewa to yourselves.

43 minutes ago, smokes said:

This just reminds my of what a hypocrytical society Hollywood is, when Afflect came out to denounce Weinstein's behavior, it's like the pot calling the kettle black. Please just stick with the movies and keep your viewa to yourselves.

Yet here you are expressing and sharing YOUR views on the situation. Perhaps you should just stick with what's going on in your own life and refrain from commenting?

See how that works? All hypocrisy aside, of course.

13 hours ago, DonLever said:

Its called position of authority; nothing to do with right or left, as we see with Trump and O'Reilly on the right and now Weinstein on the left as a liberal and a Democrat supporter abusing women.

But I knew an anti-Trump rant by you know who would appear in this thread.

:rolleyes:  If you think Trump and O'reilly are comparable to Weinerstein and the Hollywood Social Club...you've been hanging around too many Ortegas.

3 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

Yet here you are expressing and sharing YOUR views on the situation. Perhaps you should just stick with what's going on in your own life and refrain from commenting?

See how that works? All hypocrisy aside, of course.

This is a message board that influences no one. If you can't understand that then no one can help you.

Archived