The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fans at Rogers

spook007

What would make you more likely to attend games  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Riviera82 said:

I have a theory as to why the attendance at Rogers is low, other than high ticket prices and over-priced beer.

The team, overall, isn't fun to watch. They're boring. They have a hell of a hard time scoring 3 goals in a game. Live at Rogers Arena is a dull experience.

I personally dont blame anyone for not even wanting to pay 40 dollars to watch this product on the ice. We've already seen this s**tshow for the last couple of years now. Low scoring, average defending, spotty goaltending, frustrating coaching, Sedin overdose on the powerplay, and washed up/overpaid vets taking ice time from homegrown prospects. And somehow this team is up against the cap?

People aren't all stupid, they can see what's going on and they can see what this team is about. This team as it is today was designed to compete for a playoff spot, nothing more, nothing less. They're not a cup contender (despite the payroll) and they're not really rebuilding in the truest sense. Eriksson, Vanek, and Gagner to name a few are proof of that. They're here to bolster this sad sack into a wildcard. So what do you get? A boring team which is seemingly just spinning it's wheels. I'll watch on TV too.

Great post. Spot on.

I went to Van to visit a friend recently and after looking at ticket prices we spent our hard earned money on beer and wings at a pub showing the Canucks - and still saved money and had a great time. I'll watch on TV, but the on ice product doesn't reflect the price tag.

Gee, I think I know one of the reason's we see so many fair weather fans now but to say it without having word police all over me is difficult but I will try.

Vancouver is one of, if not, the most multi culture cities in Canada, with many other peoples moving into Vancouver than other cities are experiencing.

This is just a thought but maybe the old fans have been priced out just like housing has been priced out by rich people moving here. Thaat when it is the "thing" they have to be there and so they spend like crazy.

Another thought is mirrored by many other posters here, there is nothing new to see. It was mentioned that 2008 the team was filling the rafters but back then there were many new young exciting players coming along and not so many "retiree's" being signed, although Sundin was a boon for Kesler.

And maybe management just misread the crowd.

Anyone watched that show "Wisdom of the Crowd"? Kind of makes sense in a way, Vegas uses that kind of thinking when setting the lines amongst other things as well. Many posters here on draft day seem to have similar opinions that bear out after the deals are done.

attendance and excitement will turn around when the personality of this new team starts to define itself. it's a transition period right now, and while the poor performances make it hard to stay interested, it's the lack of an emotional connection to this iteration of the team that really makes it tough for people to care.  there just haven't been any defining moments for this group, and there may never be, but personally, all I think it will take is one unexpected run to the second round when the team isn't predicted to make the playoffs. that will create some heroes, create some moments, and the fans will start to come back. 

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Gee, I think I know one of the reason's we see so many fair weather fans now but to say it without having word police all over me is difficult but I will try.

Vancouver is one of, if not, the most multi culture cities in Canada, with many other peoples moving into Vancouver than other cities are experiencing.

This is just a thought but maybe the old fans have been priced out just like housing has been priced out by rich people moving here. Thaat when it is the "thing" they have to be there and so they spend like crazy.

Another thought is mirrored by many other posters here, there is nothing new to see. It was mentioned that 2008 the team was filling the rafters but back then there were many new young exciting players coming along and not so many "retiree's" being signed, although Sundin was a boon for Kesler.

And maybe management just misread the crowd.

Anyone watched that show "Wisdom of the Crowd"? Kind of makes sense in a way, Vegas uses that kind of thinking when setting the lines amongst other things as well. Many posters here on draft day seem to have similar opinions that bear out after the deals are done.

The old time fans are still going to games, because they have experienced the down cycle all teams must go through to become good.  The fans who are not going (regardless of their ethnicity) are the younger generation, who grew up with the successes of the WCE and the Twins.  For these fans, the ticket prices need to be 50% less.  

3 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Because our management and ownership have spent the last 5+ years doing unbelievably stupid things that have made our team completely irrelevant (with almost no hope of turning it around in any less than several more years).  When your team is terrible or irrelevant for the better part of a decade, people stop spending large amounts of money to see your product.  Especially when it's free on tv.

Aquilini deserves most of the blame here.  And, the funny part...  THIS (empty stands, what we have right now) is what he was so terrified of - he ruined our team for a decade and he didn't even prevent what he was trying to prevent.  He actually elongated it.  Badly.

I hope he loses a fortune over this.

I don't hope he loses a fortune cause that will mean prolonged losing but I do agree with you. I don't think ownership meddling is a problem anymore now, but the damage was done a long time ago.

23 minutes ago, billabong said:

Naw you don’t pass on a talent like dahlin. He has karlsson 2.0 written all over him and you only get those guys by drafting them.

he’s shifty, dynamic, hits hard and can skate. He’s only 18 he’ll learn the d game. My only concern is can he transition this kinda game to a smaller ice surface. Probably not to the degree he’s used too but he’ll still be a dynamic offensive force

I am not saying I'd pass on him if we got the first overall pick, I'm more of the though that getting first overall is pretty much impossible for the Canucks. Besides, we're in need of a franchise defining forward, a generational defensemen wouldn't be bad either though.

17 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm sorry, but who promised you that the completely unknown 3rd round pick was going to be a franchise defining offensive defenceman?

the canucks have got way more than their money's worth out of alex edler over the last 10 or 12 years. 

When he was drafted and as he developed we were told he was going to be the next Lindstrom. Never came to be that kind of player. He has definitely worked out as a pro defensemen but never reached the potential he could have.

The thing is, they also have to be more welcoming to fans....it's gotten to the point that you can't sneeze without someone telling you to pipe down.  Don't lean, stand, cheer, etc.  So we have to return it to a "hockey" atmosphere, not a place for networking and entertaining clients.  

Vancouver is changing and some of what we're seeing is in line with how the demographics are changing.  We used to have more of a blue collar working crowd who turned to sports as an outlet at the end of a busy week.  We now have wealthy people who are fickle moving in...they like the finest of everything.  So a team that isn't winning isn't of interest...it's only when it becomes the hot ticket that they'll care.  Just like the name brands and status symbols, they want to associate with something that's generating a buzz or catches attention.  At the moment, the team is rebuilding and ain't no one got time for that.  Except me, who loves to benefit from lower ticket prices when the half hearters don't want them.

People are also just transitioning from summer...give us a good dose of winter and hockey'll make more sense to those who don't really live and breathe it.

5 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

I am not saying I'd pass on him if we got the first overall pick, I'm more of the though that getting first overall is pretty much impossible for the Canucks. Besides, we're in need of a franchise defining forward, a generational defensemen wouldn't be bad either though.

When he was drafted and as he developed we were told he was going to be the next Lindstrom. Never came to be that kind of player. He has definitely worked out as a pro defensemen but never reached the potential he could have.

no sane person ever thought or said that. 

the problem with edler, like many others, is expectations, not performance. 

36 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Wish I knew how to, but I am illiterate when it comes to these things. If anybody could set it up I'd be delighted...

You can do it! 

8 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Oh The only way we get dahlin is if we get first overall but like you said it’s a pipe dream...but until our hopes are inevitably crushed, a man can dream

4 hours ago, StealthNuck #1 Fan said:

What confuses me is back in 2009, the team had an 8 game losing streak (as most of you know) and Burrows scored the famous goal to snap that streak, yet there were lots of fans there. Was It a special night of some sort or just a regular game..

I was at that game. Got the tix from a season ticket holder selling them on the cheap. Roof blew off the place when Burrows scored. Felt like most of the crowd might've been common folk who got the tickets second hand.

4 minutes ago, debluvsburrows said:

The thing is, they also have to be more welcoming to fans....it's gotten to the point that you can't sneeze without someone telling you to pipe down.  Don't lean, stand, cheer, etc.  So we have to return it to a "hockey" atmosphere, not a place for networking and entertaining clients.  

Vancouver is changing and some of what we're seeing is in line with how the demographics are changing.  We used to have more of a blue collar working crowd who turned to sports as an outlet at the end of a busy week.  We now have wealthy people who are fickle moving in...they like the finest of everything.  So a team that isn't winning isn't of interest...it's only when it becomes the hot ticket that they'll care.  Just like the name brands and status symbols, they want to associate with something that's generating a buzz or catches attention.  At the moment, the team is rebuilding and ain't no one got time for that.  Except me, who loves to benefit from lower ticket prices when the half hearters don't want them.

People are also just transitioning from summer...give us a good dose of winter and hockey'll make more sense to those who don't really live and breathe it.

Interesting points.

Living in the Kootenays they don't let us out much. Used to go to games back in the '70's & 80's and even then the tickets were given to us. AT that time I wondered how people could afford the tickets. My kids live in Calgary and they treat me to Canuck games when possible. Going to those games I see almost all Flamer fans having a great time and very little bad behavior either while at the arena or coming and going. 

Your point about affluent fans being quick to opt out. Even during the 2011 Cup run I was always amazed when the camera panned the crowd and as many fans were looking at their 'devices' as watching the games. I could only conclude that their grasp of the game was not really there. 

Another aspect of all the empty seats is the time line for this roster. Canucks are years away from serious contention and that fact likely does not escape many fans. IMHO fans have to have a serious appreciation for the game to go to the arena and watch inconsistent play. Improvement in that play takes years not a couple of games.    

10 minutes ago, billabong said:

You can do it! 

Oh The only way we get dahlin is if we get first overall but like you said it’s a pipe dream...but until our hopes are inevitably crushed, a man can dream

Strong draft in 2018. Even if the Canucks finish last and lose the lottery dropping down they will still pick 32nd in the 2nd round which will likely yield a quality player. This team is due some serious draft luck! Dahlen would be a nice start. 

43 minutes ago, SuitnTie said:

Went to the Senators game and I can tell you its a pretty penny to go and have fun. At minimum two tickets, some snacks and drinks..comes out expensive. They need to lower prices its ridiculous what we have to pay for the product on the ice. 

I was there on Tuesday. 

$24.75 CDN for my ticket

2 beers at $8.75 each - $17.50

Went to The Pint pre-game for their wing special and  pint - $10

$52.25 for a fun night out with friends, not bad. 

Disclaimer: I enjoy sitting in the upper bowl in rows 6-10, I find it's usually others like me who don't care about where they're seated and just want to have fun and watch hockey. I understand if I had a need to sit in 'better' (subjective topic) seats it would cost a lot more.

The cost of living in Vancouver and the Corporate Swine Seats.

lastly not a great team - but I think most hockey fans appreciate the product.

An extra $100-$200-$300-$400 for a sporting event is out of touch for most.

$1500 one-bedroom apartments are as much to blame as anything else.

The corporate swine are more likely to attract and maintain clients at Brandy's or the Marble Arch.

I'm in Victoria - most of us here agree that we'd rather fly to Vegas or drive to LA/SJ vs the same coin spent on having to go to Vancouver.

Ok, I've added a poll to the topic now, if anyone would be kind to vote, just to get a general feeling, of what the issues are. (although they seem pretty clear already).

Forgive me if I left something out. 

Think its posible to vote for more than 1 answer...

Thanks @Vintage Canuck for you help setting it up. +1

11 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

One thing for sure that will fill the arena again is this..

hqdefault.jpg

Maybe those empty seats are not going to invest in a losing market for what the prices of the tickets are or the product on the ice. So to them   the team will have to get back to winning like 2011 style hockey. Maybe those empty seats would rather see young players play rather than guys like Vanek, 6 million dollar man, and Gagner. What might help is if there were loud cheering sections throughout the arena, along with lower beer and food prices.

Love that image you posted, my position on the teams logo has always been our destiny started with this logo and one day with this original logo somebody will be hoisting the Stanley Cup.

31 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

The cost of living in Vancouver and the Corporate Swine Seats.

lastly not a great team - but I think most hockey fans appreciate the product.

An extra $100-$200-$300-$400 for a sporting event is out of touch for most.

$1500 one-bedroom apartments are as much to blame as anything else.

The corporate swine are more likely to attract and maintain clients at Brandy's or the Marble Arch.

I'm in Victoria - most of us here agree that we'd rather fly to Vegas or drive to LA/SJ vs the same coin spent on having to go to Vancouver.

The Marble Arch has been closed for years.

Archived