The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fans at Rogers

spook007

What would make you more likely to attend games  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Pavel_Bure 10 said:

I hate going to Rogers Arena. When you cheer people start looking at you like you are doing something bad. Once some guy told me to shut my mouth cause i was cheering to loud.

I’m surprised it has only happened once to you. I was being told once every 5 minutes to calm down and shut up the last time the Leaves were in town. That was the last time i went and will be the last time I go for a long time. 

Well the team isn't expected to be in the playoffs  are they. Can't blame the team , or even the coach. Imagine if the draft lottery had of been luckier for them. Imagine Austin Matthews on this team. The Fans have seen maybe one super star in all the years since 1970. They have seen a couple of good coaches, and been to the final 3 times, but its been almost 50years. Remember when the Rangers met the Canucks in '94; the Rangers were complaining about not winning a cup for 40 years.

This looks like the least likely team of all the Canuck years to exite fans. Management has really missed the boat. For many years the Canucks had filled the building, but they have missed out on getting stars that are winners.

The idea that they are going to be a fast skilled team is suspect when they have to play against much bigger meaner teams. 2011 should have taught management something.

When the team is winning, they're exciting, we have identifiable stars/difference makers, and have a legitimate shot at playoffs, people turn out despite the high prices of beer, food, parking, tickets, atmosphere, etc.

We had a long sell-out steak before the bottom fell out in 2014. That pretty much tells the story however unfortunate or difficult that may be to accept. 

When the team is winning, it's more en vogue (so to speak) to be seen at games. Especially when we have stars. People like to associate themselves with winning. The experience of going to a game makes them feel good about themselves. Winning is also a safe bet to feel good about spending extra money.

Times like this, though, people often make fun of you for going to a Canucks game. It's not cool. It's tough enough to be a Canucks fan. To some societal degree, people don't want to feel like losers just for going to a game. The experience doesn't make them feel good about themselves. It's harder to justify the extra money when you can spend it elsewhere.

Also, it's cheaper and often more fun to watch the game at a bar with friends. You get added social value from being around other fans and friends. There's a certain comraderie and togetherness that's non-existent at games.

Plus there are more home and mobile streaming options to watch games than ever before. 

With so many options out there, the only real way to get fans into Rogers is to make the live event something people want to be part of and experience live. 

As much as some of us may not like it, and wish more fans would support the team regardless, that's going to start with winning, an exciting team, identifiable stars/difference makers, and a legitimate shot at playoffs or beyond.

I'm not saying any of it is right or wrong. Just my .02 on it.

I had 11-game ice packs in 2009-10 and 2010-11 and the games were SO exciting. Even if the team was down by a goal or two going into the third, there was a buzz that there'd be a huge come back...and it happened pretty frequently.

Now if the team is down by a goal, you just know it's going to be a loss. I only buy cheap tickets from the secondary market these days. They can get as low as $20 before game time. Insane.

7 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I'm not. Vancouver has always been full of fairweather fans.

I know Baggins... You've always been fairly clear in you previous post regarding this.

The disappointment is more the fact that we are starting to see a change, which was being called for,

so I was wondering if it would change the attitude of the fans, who normally attends games, if they played more youth,

but as people voting has shown, it doesn't seem to make a huge difference.

$ and Atmosphere seems to be the main ingredient that keeps people away.

If a Saturday night game against the hated Flames can't get people to show up, I don't know, what can.... Lower the ticket prices in the lower ball, but I wonder if they are already sold to corporate members, who just can't be bothered...

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I know Baggins... You've always been fairly clear in you previous post regarding this.

The disappointment is more the fact that we are starting to see a change, which was being called for,

so I was wondering if it would change the attitude of the fans, who normally attends games, if they played more youth,

but as people voting has shown, it doesn't seem to make a huge difference.

$ and Atmosphere seems to be the main ingredient that keeps people away.

If a Saturday night game against the hated Flames can't get people to show up, I don't know, what can.... Lower the ticket prices in the lower ball, but I wonder if they are already sold to corporate members, who just can't be bothered...

Most likely 

• 2 weeks later...

I guess, according to last nights attendance at Rogers, it can safely be said, that if they ice a team that wins games, it doesn't really matter, who is playing.

All be it, the type of up tempo in you face hockey has also been really good to watch.

It was great to see a lot of fans in the stands again.

29 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I guess, according to last nights attendance at Rogers, it can safely be said, that if they ice a team that wins games, it doesn't really matter, who is playing.

All be it, the type of up tempo in you face hockey has also been really good to watch.

It was great to see a lot of fans in the stands again.

Agreed.  It was cool to actually be able to hear the crowd involved again.

Archived