The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whatcha listening to, Punk?!

Rate this topic

luckylager

55 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I'm reminded of this. It's ska, not punk, but the feeling is similar (*LANGUAGE!!!!!* :0):

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 10:45 AM, DarthMelvin said:

Would you or Do you consider bands like Green day and/or Blink 182 to be Punk?

Back in the day 1995 Blink-182 broke out in the underground skate pop punk scene with Cheshire Cat. They had some albums prior to that but that album validated them. They toured with the Vandals, Frenzel Rhomb, AFI? I love that album, it’s probably more aggressive then the typical Fat sound but super catchy in its own way. Dude Ranch was actually released on Cargo initially which wasn’t a mainstream label, but maybe MCA? got involved and started promoting it and it caught fire. 

Green Day was part of that Screeching weasel, outlook records scene. Their first 2 albums kurplunk! And 1,039.. were 2 of the best punk albums you’ll ever listen to. At the time of those albums release they were hailed as the best thing since the Descendents. 

The problem with both of these bands is that they were too talented to remain underground. I mean, Green day willingly signed with Reprise and totally sold out. The Blink 182 Dude ranch was a little more complex with MCA taking the album over from cargo. Regardless Both exploded and became mainstream. It was heartbreaking for me because I was completely anti mainstream and now my music was being played on the radio and it pissed me off. Actually both green day and Offspring sold out at the same time. Then Blink 182 and AFI. 

so to answer your question. Is Blink 182 and Green day punk? No. They were punk and they play punk music But punk music isn’t just a sound it’s about anarchy, its not for commercial success, it’s not for profit. Dexter from Offspring at least used their sellout to benefit the scene by founding Nitro records. 

In my opinion, any Punk music that’s on a major label after say 1990 isn’t punk. 

• Like 1

@luckylager @Gollumpus @Coconuts @Angry Goose

Im kinda interested in what got you guys into punk. What in your mind are the albums that influenced you the most. 

For me, I was maybe 12 or 13 and my neighbour who was a few years older than me had a half pipe in his back yard and My annoying a$$ would go over there and try to skate with them and be cool like them. He had a ghetto blaster with one tape in it. Bad Religion Against the grain. So for an entire summer it’s basically the only thing I listened to. From there I saw an epitaph records compilation called punk o Rama at the music store, shoplifted it lol and  I got into the bands on it. Back in those days it was hard to get exposed to punk music. I remember getting an order form with punk o Rama and ordering CD’s also ordering from Fat. Maximum Rocknroll zine was another way. 

Best 

1. Descendents - Milo goes to college

1a. SNFU - Something Green and leafy 

2. NOFX - White Trash

3. The Smugglers - Big sizzle  

4. Big Drill Car - Batch

5. Satanic Surfers - Hero of our time

6. Bodyjar - Rimshot!

7. Misfits - Famous Monsters (Graves was better than Danzig) 

8. Chixdiggit 

9. Trigger happy - I’ll shut up. 

• Cheers 2
7 hours ago, Convincing John said:

@luckylager @Gollumpus @Coconuts @Angry Goose

Im kinda interested in what got you guys into punk. What in your mind are the albums that influenced you the most. 

For me, I was maybe 12 or 13 and my neighbour who was a few years older than me had a half pipe in his back yard and My annoying a$$ would go over there and try to skate with them and be cool like them. He had a ghetto blaster with one tape in it. Bad Religion Against the grain. So for an entire summer it’s basically the only thing I listened to. From there I saw an epitaph records compilation called punk o Rama at the music store, shoplifted it lol and  I got into the bands on it. Back in those days it was hard to get exposed to punk music. I remember getting an order form with punk o Rama and ordering CD’s also ordering from Fat. Maximum Rocknroll zine was another way. 

Best 

1. Descendents - Milo goes to college

1a. SNFU - Something Green and leafy 

2. NOFX - White Trash

3. The Smugglers - Big sizzle  

4. Big Drill Car - Batch

5. Satanic Surfers - Hero of our time

6. Bodyjar - Rimshot!

7. Misfits - Famous Monsters (Graves was better than Danzig) 

8. Chixdiggit 

9. Trigger happy - I’ll shut up. 

I was living up Island, and had a buddy in Victoria that turned me onto this band.  I was 14-15 at the time?  First time ever hearing local music like this that was so aggressive, DIY and had a charming lo-fi production value.  I was hooked and it opened up a whole new world of music underground hardcore/metal etc.

I'd say these were pretty big influences on me early on:

This F the Commonwealth sampler was awesome.  So many bands Id probably never hear without it.  

And Render Useless were a great band from Victoria as well

In general, His Hero is Gone was a big time influence

• Cheers 2

@Convincing John

I had a similar introduction to punk I guess - My older brother was a huge influence when I was a kid. Anyways, we grew up listening to Quiet Riot, Wasp, Twisted Sister.. lots of hair metal with some Zeppelin, Hendrix and Sabbath mixed in there. When he went to Jr High in about 88, he got into skateboarding and thrash like Misfits, Sucidal Tendencies, Gwar etc and naturally I just listened along... and got a skate as well. 

A year or two later he gave me a mix tape that changed my life, probably 1990/91.. it was before Nirvana Nevermind was released, that's important because there were a couple tracks from Bleach on there, and when "Smells Like.." hit the radio I was all excited because I got to say "I've always known about Nirvana" lol. 

The tape he gave me introduced me to bands that I fell in love with.

- Operation Ivy

- Descendents

- Pennywise

- NoFX

- Dayglo Abortions

- Green Day (Kerplunk / 1039 era)

- Snuff

And some Seattle bands like Nirvana, Mother Love Bone and Helmet.

It was a great mix and started me down the best wrong path.

As far as most influential / fave punk albums go.. it's tough to order them after the first 5 or so, but these are all albums I still listen to.

1 - Decendents - Liveage + Milo Goes to College

2 - Operation Ivy - OP Ivy

3 - Pennywise - About Time + Full Circle

4 - NoFX - WT2HB, So Long and..

5 - Lagwagon - Lagwagon + Hoss

6 - Propaghadi - How to Clean Everything

7 - Dayglo Abortions - Here Today, Guano Tomorrow 

8 - Face to Face - Face to Face

9 - Rancid - Let's Go + Out Come the Wolves

Then the complications from Fat and Nitro turned me on to a lot of other bands during that time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
4 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

I was living up Island, and had a buddy in Victoria that turned me onto this band.  I was 14-15 at the time?  First time ever hearing local music like this that was so aggressive, DIY and had a charming lo-fi production value.  I was hooked and it opened up a whole new world of music underground hardcore/metal etc.

I'd say these were pretty big influences on me early on:

This F the Commonwealth sampler was awesome.  So many bands Id probably never hear without it.  

And Render Useless were a great band from Victoria as well

In general, His Hero is Gone was a big time influence

Rad. I saw Goat Boy a bunch of times. Shutdown was another deadly Vic band of that era.

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, luckylager said:

@Convincing John

I had a similar introduction to punk I guess - My older brother was a huge influence when I was a kid. Anyways, we grew up listening to Quiet Riot, Wasp, Twisted Sister.. lots of hair metal with some Zeppelin, Hendrix and Sabbath mixed in there. When he went to Jr High in about 88, he got into skateboarding and thrash like Misfits, Sucidal Tendencies, Gwar etc and naturally I just listened along... and got a skate as well. 

A year or two later he gave me a mix tape that changed my life, probably 1990/91.. it was before Nirvana Nevermind was released, that's important because there were a couple tracks from Bleach on there, and when "Smells Like.." hit the radio I was all excited because I got to say "I've always known about Nirvana" lol. 

The tape he gave me introduced me to bands that I fell in love with.

- Operation Ivy

- Descendents

- Pennywise

- NoFX

- Dayglo Abortions

- Green Day (Kerplunk / 1039 era)

- Snuff

And some Seattle bands like Nirvana, Mother Love Bone and Helmet.

It was a great mix and started me down the best wrong path.

As far as most influential / fave punk albums go.. it's tough to order them after the first 5 or so, but these are all albums I still listen to.

1 - Decendents - Liveage + Milo Goes to College

2 - Operation Ivy - OP Ivy

3 - Pennywise - About Time + Full Circle

4 - NoFX - WT2HB, So Long and..

5 - Lagwagon - Lagwagon + Hoss

6 - Propaghadi - How to Clean Everything

7 - Dayglo Abortions - Here Today, Guano Tomorrow 

8 - Face to Face - Face to Face

9 - Rancid - Let's Go + Out Come the Wolves

Then the complications from Fat and Nitro turned me on to a lot of other bands during that time.

We have very similar taste. I’ll confess and say I never heard Descendents until their comeback album “everything sucks” then I went backwards found this bounty of music from the 80’s and just got completely OCD about them. Screeching weasel is another great early 90’s punk band. That offspring ignition album was a game changer too. I was into the metal from my older skid cousin lol, then got into punk as I got into skateboarding. Suicidal Tendencies was the ideal crossover band from metal to punk. I didn’t like Nirvana, I was more into Alice because of their vocals but I kinda skipped the grunge for the most part. 

@Angry GooseI grew up in Saskatchewan so we had our own local punk bands. I’m not going to lie, I’ve never heard that stuff and I like it. Thank you. I never got exposed to the west coast scene like you guys. I even played drums in a few scabbed together opening bands for The Smalls, SNFU, Chixdiggit, Red fisher, Choke, bands in our territory. I honestly can’t count the amount of times I’ve seen those guys. Only west coast stuff that came around occasionally was GOB, DOA, Smugglers, Dayglo, was D.B.S from the coast? I liked those guys. 

I can’t believe you guys forgot to mention the best Vic band of all time. Nomeansno. Lol. Seriously though, they’re one of my favourites of all time. 

13 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

We have very similar taste. I’ll confess and say I never heard Descendents until their comeback album “everything sucks” then I went backwards found this bounty of music from the 80’s and just got completely OCD about them. Screeching weasel is another great early 90’s punk band. That offspring ignition album was a game changer too. I was into the metal from my older skid cousin lol, then got into punk as I got into skateboarding. Suicidal Tendencies was the ideal crossover band from metal to punk. I didn’t like Nirvana, I was more into Alice because of their vocals but I kinda skipped the grunge for the most part. 

@Angry GooseI grew up in Saskatchewan so we had our own local punk bands. I’m not going to lie, I’ve never heard that stuff and I like it. Thank you. I never got exposed to the west coast scene like you guys. I even played drums in a few scabbed together opening bands for The Smalls, SNFU, Chixdiggit, Red fisher, Choke, bands in our territory. I honestly can’t count the amount of times I’ve seen those guys. Only west coast stuff that came around occasionally was GOB, DOA, Smugglers, Dayglo, was D.B.S from the coast? I liked those guys. 

I can’t believe you guys forgot to mention the best Vic band of all time. Nomeansno. Lol. Seriously though, they’re one of my favourites of all time. 

Best vic band is definitely Dayglo Abortions. And as far as Nomeansno goes... I actually prefer Hanson Bros. Puck Rock was a legendary album.

You bring up Screaching Weasel, ashamed I forgot to shout them out along with The Queers.

Boogadaboogadaboogada is an amazing album. Loved SW.

Like every WC punker kid I saw SNFU, DOA, Dayglos, Gob dozens of times. SNFU used to just run tour after tour... I swear I saw them at least 10 times over a 3 year span.

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 1
11 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Best vic band is definitely Dayglo Abortions. And as far as Nomeansno goes... I actually prefer Hanson Bros. Puck Rock was a legendary album.

You bring up Screaching Weasel, ashamed I forgot to shout them out along with The Queers.

Boogadaboogadaboogada is an amazing album. Loved SW.

Like every WC punker kid I saw SNFU, DOA, Dayglos, Gob dozens of times. SNFU used to just run tour after tour... I swear I saw them at least 10 times over a 3 year span.

Didn’t one of the guys from dayglo have a t shirt shop in Vic? I bought a Wesley Willis shirt from there lol. 

@Convincing John

Saskatchewan eh?  There was a grind band from there I really liked- Malefaction if I recall?  Pretty sure they were on the same label as propoghandi.  

Some more notable punk bands I liked were the Misfits, Subhumans, Descendents, NOFX etc.  Oh and D.B.S!  

Truthfully though, I got into Metal and it kind of ruined me back then.  Now though, I enjoy a good punk album much more.  

I did see No Means No once.  Those guys man....great show and for a bunch of middle aged dudes they slay.  Almost played a 3 hour set!

• Cheers 2