The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whatcha listening to, Punk?!

Rate this topic

luckylager

12 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Was anyone else at the Rancid/Dropkicks show in August?  I was...and it was awesome.  The encore was both bands...played Ring of Fire by Cash and White Riot by The Clash.

Which brings me to this: 

so jealous. I knew that show would be great.

• Upvote 1

No question, top 3 $&!#faced I've ever been was a a Me First show at Dick's on Dick's like 15 years ago. It was a day show, which wasn't uncommon, and the 5 of us out of a whole bar of punk rockers were labelled the Drunk Canadians by Fat Mike. Probably had something to do with the few flats of empties we accumulated on the stage. Good times, we were blasted. 

46 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Anybody remember the original Cobalt? Not the revamped country club it is now, but the Punk Rock Bingo Cobalt. "IIIIIIII SWILLIN" and you best be drinking or you get beer spat in your face. An old bud of mine took a dump in an alley after a night at the Cobalt. That's how good the place used to be. 

Hell yes. Loved that place.

Last time I was at the old cobalt I nearly got stomped by a dozen skinheads after a Hanson Brother's show. 

I went off on one of em, should've known they never roll alone. Self loathing a$$ f#####s probably set them off.

Thanks to the "D line" and a cabby we named "Jonny on the spot" I made it out unscathed. I apologize to anyone who took a lump for me that night. We were pulling out when the brawl started... Sorry. Probably my fault... But skinners can suck it.

46 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Hell yes. Loved that place.

Last time I was at the old cobalt I nearly got stomped by a dozen skinheads after a Hanson Brother's show. 

I went off on one of em, should've known they never roll alone. Self loathing a$$ f#####s probably set them off.

Thanks to the "D line" and a cabby we named "Jonny on the spot" I made it out unscathed. I apologize to anyone who took a lump for me that night. We were pulling out when the brawl started... Sorry. Probably my fault... But skinners can suck it.

Skinheads can suck it. Had some eventful nights at The Brickyard and Pub 340 as well. A buddy of mine was threatened with a gun in that last pub, and since then we call it Guns At The Table.

Classic.

at the end of the 70s the first round of "new wave " some of it still resembled punk  or could go down as being either. by 81  82 new wave with lots of varied sounds pushed punk to the side. these 3  good examples minus the angst....  punk morphing into  new wave..  looking back at it having lived thru it you had 3 choices  rock,   punk rock or god forbid ...disco . I know for the punk purist, theres not many left... when I first heard greenday 04  ya I know gd is a swear word I thought that's funny none of these guys are old enough to have heard original punk and then I thought theres a lot of musicians doing a lot of other genre's and doing it poorly .PUNK IS ALIVE...

Edited by chon derry
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Green Building said:

Skinheads can suck it. Had some eventful nights at The Brickyard and Pub 340 as well. A buddy of mine was threatened with a gun in that last pub, and since then we call it Guns At The Table.

Classic.

Threatened with a gun eh. That's no minor threat

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, Green Building said:

That's a promise.

I always found it a little bit funny that I spent so much time rocking out to Straight Edge punk while smokin' doobs and crushing beers. 

To be fair, many the straight edge listened to bands that were far from it.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Green Building said:

Classic.

i just googled pub340 back in 88 when i lived in van i slung beer at the lamp lighter since i knew rick and ralph , but i hung out at the lux blues club after hrs booze can  also hung at the town pump next to the lamp, back then it was owned by the mclean brothers from Rupert lot of good bands played there, , but right where this pub340 is there was 2 niteclubs the "spinning wheel' and the "star", ya you get yourself stabbed pretty easy around there.

Edited by chon derry
  • Upvote 1