The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks attendance hits lowest since 2001, fans are not buying tickets

DonaldBrashear

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Unless I'm mistaken, ticket prices have become dirt cheap. I saw ads for tickets starting from 40-something dollars. I can't remember a time in my life when the team sold tickets that cheap.

As someone from outside of the lower mainland, if that's dirt cheap..... YEEEEESH lol.  

Edit:  Guess I married a dutch girl for a reason.... I'm cheap :D 

53 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

One thing I hope doesn't happen is that Bettman sees this and the Ottawa Senator's attendance as a sign that hockey is no longer becoming a profitable place in Canada.  Only fuels his distaste to support the Canadian market.

Tough to gauge considering their owner is cheap.  

53 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Fan base:  "Rebuild, Rebuild, Rebuild!"

TL:  "We're rebuilding:

Fan base:  "Oh we're rebuilding, we'll wait to buy tickets until we're competitive again...."

Fans don’t believe that TL and JB are actually rebuilding though.  Fans see old vets like Errikson last season, and Vanek this season, and wonder why those spots couldn’t be filled by young guys, who fans can see for the team’s future.  The fans aren’t buying tickets for two reasons: they’re too expensive for seeing old slow guys, and they want to see hope for a brighter future in young guys. 

57 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Fan base:  "Oh we're rebuilding, we'll wait to buy tickets until we're competitive again...."

Sure he said that we're rebuilding, but then they went and signed a ton of veterans which pushed the kids out of the lineup as well as limit the minutes for the ones that are here.

There's no doubt there's a lot of bandwagon fans, but there's also a ton of die hards, and I don't blame the die hards for being frustrated. 

Having said that, I'm die hard and I went to the oilers game and will go to at least a few more this year. I don't mind our current lineup, I just wish we signed at least one less vetran in the off season to allow a bit more room for the likes of Virtanen, Boeser, Goldy, etc. 

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I know it's a somewhat premium game with the Flames in town, and it's a Saturday night, but am I unreasonable to find $60-65 for some of the worst seats in the house a little unpalatable? A few years ago that was a very good price. Not so much anymore.

How cheap do you want them? $50? If Flames tickets on a Saturday night go for $50, then what would Arizona tickets on a Tuesday go for? $15?

4 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

How cheap do you want them? $50? If Flames tickets on a Saturday night go for $50, then what would Arizona tickets on a Tuesday go for? $15?

Maybe if JB didn’t sign a bunch of cast off aging vets, he could spend to the Cap floor, resulting in much lower ticket prices?  

Love how some blame the rink atmosphere, or the socioeconomics of Vancouver..... lol

Its a fair weather hockey town. Only supports a winner. 

They will say they will support a rebuild but won’t buy the tickets until the rebuild is showing results. 

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

Love how some blame the rink atmosphere, or the socioeconomics of Vancouver..... lol

Its a fair weather hockey town. Only supports a winner. 

Winning and being entertaining aren’t the same. The team is at the stage where they are neither, at least consistently 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe if JB didn’t sign a bunch of cast off aging vets, he could spend to the Cap floor, resulting in much lower ticket prices?  

Sure, why not spend to the floor every season so you can pay less for your tickets and watch junk...:picard:

Just now, Stelar said:

Sure, why not spend to the floor every season so you can pay less for your tickets and watch junk...:picard:

You don’t think spending to the Cap floor during a rebuild is wise?  What exactly have we watched the past two seasons, while spending to the Cap ceiling?  

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

Maybe the should be aware thats it going to be harder to fill the arena when the team is rebuilding and lower prices for tickets, food and drinks to reflect that instead of trying to bring people in with things like "hey we have poutine now" and expecting that to draw people. If they want people to come watch a losing team you have to not gouge them at every turn. crazy idea right?

13 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Obviously there's a minimum that has to be charged. All I'm saying is $65 to sit in like row 14, section 316 is a little steep given the current on ice product. They're not even filling up the arena right now, it's tough for the team to justify charging much.

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Obviously there's a minimum that has to be charged. All I'm saying is $65 to sit in like row 14, section 316 is a little steep given the current on ice product. They're not even filling up the arena right now, it's tough for the team to justify charging much.

Well, it's like anything, supply and demand. For tonight's game, demand clearly isn't there, so then as the game gets closer prices will come down. I wouldn't be surprised if you can grab tickets for $30 on stubhub closer to game time.

Just now, Stelar said:

Correction, front runner. 

How many times though have the Canucks been really serious contenders for the Cup?  Maybe twice?  A record of better than .500 (back when a .500 actually meant something) only twice in its first 20 years.  IMHO, the "fair weather" label gets a bit overblown.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You don’t think spending to the Cap floor during a rebuild is wise?  What exactly have we watched the past two seasons, while spending to the Cap ceiling?  

Spending to the cap floor could result in attendance of 9000 or 10000 a night, and maybe that's low enough to get the team moved. It almost happened before, don't say never... so that sole reason alone I am happy that they spend to the cap, because it might mean the difference between 10000 or 15000 a night. Frankly, I am surprised they didn't go out and sign Jagr... I bet they wish they had. Seems like the type of move this team would do, just to sell Jerseys and Tickets.

2 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Well, it's like anything, supply and demand. For tonight's game, demand clearly isn't there, so then as the game gets closer prices will come down. I wouldn't be surprised if you can grab tickets for $30 on stubhub closer to game time.

Which is what I'm planning on doing. Ultimately I'm dead set on going to the game so I'll pony up that money regardless (maybe I'm a sucker), but I don't find that current rate ($60 minimum) entirely reasonable.

Man, I can't stand Nucks fans and media. The only young guys ready to play on the team... wait for it... are playing on the team. 

Everyone else such as Demko, Goldie, Dahlen, OJ, etc., just aren't ready, hence why they are not on the team. It's called development. 

It's just mind boggling how fans scream for something and then when they get it they scream for the opposite. 

I guess it's true what Thoreau once said, "The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise." 

Archived