The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks attendance hits lowest since 2001, fans are not buying tickets

DonaldBrashear

2 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Spending to the cap floor could result in attendance of 9000 or 10000 a night, and maybe that's low enough to get the team moved. It almost happened before, don't say never... so that sole reason alone I am happy that they spend to the cap, because it might mean the difference between 10000 or 15000 a night. Frankly, I am surprised they didn't go out and sign Jagr... I bet they wish they had. Seems like the type of move this team would do, just to sell Jerseys and Tickets.

Spend to the floor, reduce ticket prices accordingly, and play younger players so fans can see hope for a better future, and the arena would be full.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Spend to the floor, reduce ticket prices accordingly, and play younger players so fans can see hope for a better future, and the arena would be full.  

Right............... just like how the Vancouver Giants are filled to the rafters every single night. Young players, dirt cheap tickets.... that seems to be the recipe you are offering here, so why aren't the Vancouver Giants packed every night? Or any of the other crappy WHL or minor league teams around BC? All young players, sometimes tickets are even free................

Just now, TheHitman said:

Looked like a lot less than 15,000 people at the last game...

It was. The attendance announced is how many tickets were sold. It is not how many people show up. Chances are there were at least 2000 who didn't show up. Actual in-arena attendance was probably closer to 13,000, which means that approx. 30% empty seats.

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Man, I can't stand Nucks fans and media. The only young guys ready to play on the team... wait for it... are playing on the team. 

Everyone else such as Demko, Goldie, Dahlen, OJ, etc., just aren't ready, hence why they are not on the team. It's called development. 

It's just mind boggling how fans scream for something and then when they get it they scream for the opposite. 

I guess it's true what Thoreau once said, "The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise." 

Are Ehlers, Nylander, Tkatchuk, and others we could have drafted ready?  Fans are POed with current management's mistakes in round one, where players should be contributing by now.  We accept the guys drafted in the later rounds take longer, if they make it at all.  Reduce the friggin' ticket prices, and draft better in round one.  (I do like the Petersson pick, and don't mind waiting for a player with his elite skills.)

2 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Right............... just like how the Vancouver Giants are filled to the rafters every single night. Young players, dirt cheap tickets.... that seems to be the recipe you are offering here, so why aren't the Vancouver Giants packed every night? Or any of the other crappy WHL or minor league teams around BC? All young players, sometimes tickets are even free................

What do the Giants have to do with this?  We would still have the Twins, Sutter, Baer, Loui, Dorsett, and Bo up front.  Plus, Tanev, Guddy, and Edler on D.  How many more vets do we need?  

16 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Sure, why not spend to the floor every season so you can pay less for your tickets and watch junk...:picard:

so spend to the limit and pay more to watch junk? :picard: because thats where its at right now. if they want more higher attendance they have to lower prices on everything from tickets to parking and concessions.

fact is ownership needs to learn that when it comes to "lean years" that is going to include their bottom line. 

Just now, Alflives said:

What do the Giants have to do with this?  We would still have the Twins, Sutter, Baer, Loui, Dorsett, and Bo up front.  Plus, Tanev, Guddy, and Edler on D.  How many more vets do we need?  

So your version of a team is spending to the floor cap, but we keep the Sedins, Tanev, Edler? Wouldn't you want all those dinosaurs traded for draft picks?

25 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Love how some blame the rink atmosphere, or the socioeconomics of Vancouver..... lol

Its a fair weather hockey town. Only supports a winner. 

They will say they will support a rebuild but won’t buy the tickets until the rebuild is showing results. 

Are you including yourself in this as a fan of the team of propping yourself up as special?

Just now, DonaldBrashear said:

So your version of a team is spending to the floor cap, but we keep the Sedins, Tanev, Edler? Wouldn't you want all those dinosaurs traded for draft picks?

We need a MIX of vet and youth.  Right now, especially at forward, we have way too many vets.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are Ehlers, Nylander, Tkatchuk, and others we could have drafted ready?  Fans are POed with current management's mistakes in round one, where players should be contributing by now.  We accept the guys drafted in the later rounds take longer, if they make it at all.  Reduce the friggin' ticket prices, and draft better in round one.  (I do like the Petersson pick)

Everyone is an all-star GM in hindsight. This has been beaten to death already, but just because our draftees are developing in a different way does not make them worse picks. What has Calgary and Winnipeg done with those guys on their teams? Have they won a cup? Did they make the playoffs because of them? The answers are no. Those picks are not saviours over ours. 

People here miss so many other reasons for management's decisions. Take OJ. He was picked because we have a MT in Virtanen and a Dman like OJ is so hard to come by. Not only that, but OJ will be piquing at the right time with the rest of our core, but it's this kind of patience and delayed gratification that so many fans can't handle. Such negativity with this fanbase that it's sickening after a while. 

Edit: we dominated for many years and were contenders for even longer. Had we won the cup, no one would be complaining about where we are right now. But we didn't, and the culture of grievance continues. 

26 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Team hasn't won anything since it's birth (1970).  What other hockey town can match that?  The Leafs (and at least they have those Cups from another era to muse about)?  That's it.

Buffalo, St. Louis, & Washington to name 3.

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Everyone is an all-star GM in hindsight. This has been beaten to death already, but just because our draftees are developing in a different way does not make them worse picks. What has Calgary and Winnipeg done with those guys on their teams? Have they won a cup? Did they make the playoffs because of them? The answers are no. Those picks are not saviours over ours. 

People here miss so many other reasons for management's decisions. Take OJ. He was picked because we have a MT in Virtanen and a Dman like OJ is so hard to come by. Not only that, but OJ will be piquing at the right time with the rest of our core, but it's this kind of patience and delayed gratification that so many fans can't handle. Such negativity with this fanbase that it's sickening after a while. 

I thought we were discussing reasons why fans are not buying tickets?  I hypothesized two reasons.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I thought we were discussing reasons why fans are not buying tickets?  I hypothesized two reasons.  

I guess my point is that they're not buying tickets because, in general,  we have a long history of crappy fans. 

Just now, tbone909 said:

Buffalo, St. Louis, & Washington to name 3.

Are they supporting the team anymore than the Canucks?

According the Forbes, the Canucks were 6th in league revenues.  Blues & Sabres in the bottom 10.   Caps are 10th (but at least they have an elite player still putting up points Ovechkin).

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

Fan base:  "Rebuild, Rebuild, Rebuild!"

TL:  "We're rebuilding:

Fan base:  "Oh we're rebuilding, we'll wait to buy tickets until we're competitive again...."

No fan will pay crazy prices to watch a team lose. Maybe if they lowered ticket prices to $20-$30 then the fans will come. You expect people to pay high prices in the most expensive city in Canada to watch a mediocre product on ice? I say that the price should reflect the quality of entertainment and that the Canucks management is too greedy to lower the price of the tickets. If they don't lower the ticket prices, then the Canucks fans will do it for them by not showing up.

Just now, shiznak said:

Honestly, I don't think the "die-hard" fanbase is as strong as people think it is. You see other Canadian cities, like Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, etc still fill the arena, in their dark days.

Those three Canadian cities have Cup wins in their history.  Even the Flames - who never really were a true expansion team (they inherited a .500 club/playoff team from Atlanta).

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

I guess my point is that they're not buying tickets because, in general,  we have a long history of crappy fans. 

That could certainly be true.  I just think our city and area is twice as populated as years ago, and (even with crappy fans) there's enough good fans to fill the arena.  

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

Honestly, I don't think the "die-hard" fanbase is as strong as people think it is. You see other Canadian cities, like Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, etc still fill the arena, in their dark days.

Not sure about Toronto and Montreal but in terms of night life, what is there to do in cities like Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg. I'd say that Toronto and Montreal has a bigger population than Vancouver so it shouldn't be a big surprise. 

Archived