The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks attendance hits lowest since 2001, fans are not buying tickets

DonaldBrashear

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Are they supporting the team anymore than the Canucks?

According the Forbes, the Canucks were 6th in league revenues.  Blues & Sabres in the bottom 10.   Caps are 10th (but at least they have an elite player still putting up points Ovechkin).

That really has nothing to do with the question you asked, which was the Canucks haven't won anything.

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Honestly, I don't think the "die-hard" fanbase is as strong as people think it is. You see other Canadian cities, like Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, etc still fill the arena, in their dark days.

Agreed. But that might not be a bad thing. I prefer a fanbase that demands a winner. It keeps ownership constantly on guard.

Just now, Alflives said:

That could certainly be true.  I just think our city and area is twice as populated as years ago, and (even with crappy fans) there's enough good fans to fill the arena.  

heh, even the Memphis Grizzlies have empty seats (23rd out of the 30 teams in attendance).  AND at least that team makes the playoffs (solid regular reason record).

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Everyone is an all-star GM in hindsight. This has been beaten to death already, but just because our draftees are developing in a different way does not make them worse picks. What has Calgary and Winnipeg done with those guys on their teams? Have they won a cup? Did they make the playoffs because of them? The answers are no. Those picks are not saviours over ours. 

People here miss so many other reasons for management's decisions. Take OJ. He was picked because we have a MT in Virtanen and a Dman like OJ is so hard to come by. Not only that, but OJ will be piquing at the right time with the rest of our core, but it's this kind of patience and delayed gratification that so many fans can't handle. Such negativity with this fanbase that it's sickening after a while. 

If he was as good as you say, he should be knocking on the door of the NHL right now. But it seems as though he's getting developed like a 15th-30th overall would. 

19 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Right............... just like how the Vancouver Giants are filled to the rafters every single night. Young players, dirt cheap tickets.... that seems to be the recipe you are offering here, so why aren't the Vancouver Giants packed every night? Or any of the other crappy WHL or minor league teams around BC? All young players, sometimes tickets are even free................

Thats because Vancouver is a big league city. You can't compare NHL to WHL, that would be like comparing MLS to Premier league. 

53 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I know it's a somewhat premium game with the Flames in town, and it's a Saturday night, but am I unreasonable to find $60-65 for some of the worst seats in the house a little unpalatable? A few years ago that was a very good price. Not so much anymore.

Its the greedy management's fault that the arena isn't sold out. If they just lowered the ticket prices from the time we went to the cup finals, maybe more people would attend. 

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I guess my point is that they're not buying tickets because, in general,  we have a long history of crappy fans teams. 

48 years and still counting with no SC. 

12 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Honestly, I don't think the "die-hard" fanbase is as strong as people think it is. You see other Canadian cities, like Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, etc still fill the arena, in their dark days.

TO & Mon have much bigger fan bases and all 3 have won lots of cups.

I do remember some really nasty fan moments with TO and Edm when they were struggling. 

8 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

If he was as good as you say, he should be knocking on the door of the NHL right now. But it seems as though he's getting developed like a 15th-30th overall would. 

He is knocking on the door, but believe it or not, our D depth is quite good right now and there's no rush to bring him into the lineup this year, so that's why he's going to Finland. This is the smart way to enter a player into the league, as we are not in a win now situation like other teams are. Again, this fanbase needs instant gratification like no other. I believe this is because our fanbase is temperamental and not that knowledgeable, in general, about hockey as a whole. That's why our stadium is empty during a rebuild they've been calling for, because our fans can't find the positives in our rebuilding situation. 

27 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Are you including yourself in this as a fan of the team of propping yourself up as special?

I’m special because I don’t live in Vancouver.  That said, I spent many a night in the coliseum watching Sandlaks, Woodleys, etc.  I paid to watch a lot of $&!# teams because I loved the Canucks. Granted it was cheaper.  

52 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Maybe the should be aware thats it going to be harder to fill the arena when the team is rebuilding and lower prices for tickets, food and drinks to reflect that instead of trying to bring people in with things like "hey we have poutine now" and expecting that to draw people. If they want people to come watch a losing team you have to not gouge them at every turn. crazy idea right?

I fully agree with you.  The prices should be lowered. 

Doesnt change the fact that people say they want to see a rebuild and then complain when it happens.... apparently we’re not doing it right. 

29 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Those three Canadian cities have Cup wins in their history.  Even the Flames - who never really were a true expansion team (they inherited a .500 club/playoff team from Atlanta).

Having a winning history is irrelevant.

Detroit and Boston have multiple Cups and they've had trouble filling out their arena before.

2 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Fan base:  "Rebuild, Rebuild, Rebuild!"

TL:  "We're rebuilding:

Fan base:  "Oh we're rebuilding, we'll wait to buy tickets until we're competitive again...."

TL can say they are rebuilding all he wants, but the fans aren't stupid when they see overpriced vet's being signed and taking young players spots which makes your statement all BS

And of course the blame belongs to us, worst fans in the league. Never mind the giant sellout streak that included a number of dry years. Nevermind the Canucks are one of the most valuable franchises in the NHL. Not every seat got filled because Canucks fans are just bad people. Why are they bad? Uhh, reasons I guess.

Not hard to understand. Trevor Linden and Jim Benning killed this team thinking they knew so much better than Gillis. Every aspect of this team is worse. From entertainment value to actual monetary value.  

ie. Eriksson is the highest paid player this season for the Canucks ($8 milllion). And Travis Green uses him like past coaches used Hansen and Burrows. Last game vs OTT, who watch to see Eriksson? Who watched to see Burrows?

It's funny how the owners had twelve years of nothing but raking in the money, never giving a break to the fans on ticket prices, but now that they have a less than desirable product, they are wining about not making enough money. Typical greedy owners!

18 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

TL can say they are rebuilding all he wants, but the fans aren't stupid when they see overpriced vet's being signed and taking young players spots which makes your statement all BS

Which over priced vets would those be?  Rebuilding isn’t a one size fits all process, especially now that you can’t just pull an Edmonton and tank until you get a Mcdavid. 

26 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Having a winning history is irrelevant.

Detroit and Boston have multiple Cups and they've had trouble filling out their arena before.

I don't know about Boston, but Detroit is really suffering financially with huge unemployment #s.

Archived