The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks attendance hits lowest since 2001, fans are not buying tickets

DonaldBrashear

15 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

It's funny how the owners had twelve years of nothing but raking in the money, never giving a break to the fans on ticket prices, but now that they have a less than desirable product, they are wining about not making enough money. Typical greedy owners!

where are they whining?

There's no team, ufa signings on one year deals, no hype, no star talent, no direction, no emotional attachment, no enterianment value the on ice product has been awful.(the past two season especially) boring best describes what willies system was Vancouverites and west coasters have lots of  options for eterianment.

Green needs to bring excitement back into Vancouvers game but its tough when your handed a team that isn't fast isn't tough and isn't skilled. Just a lot of the same through out the line up. Picking one trait (skill , speed, toughness)  and becoming proficient at it at the very least give you an idenity to build and Sell. Mediocrity and below average at everything just doesn't sell. 

Doubt  lower ticket prices would even help, it's like going to a bad movie who cares how much it cost if it's still a bad movie.

hopefully Green can change that but  Nobody should be suprised that ticket sales are down.

the one guy that should be very concerned spent 36 million on a 3rd liner and doled out another 24mill on ufas. not exactly the best return on the owners hefty investment. 

It's pretty simple. Canucks fans are smart. They don't appreciated being treated like idiots by management types like Trevor Linden and Jim Benning who are lying through there teeth about having a "competitive team". Fans don't want to watch over-the-hillers like Sam Gagner (sucks to say), Loui Eriksson (never should have been signed), and Thomas Vanek (Marco Sturm-level mistake signing) play meaningless games. Fans want the Maple Leafs treatment, they're smart. They want to see the team tank. They want to see youth. They want to see Nikolay Goldobin (who has 7 goals + 1 assist in 8 games with the Utica Comets spread out between this season and last) score and struggle and learn. They want to see Jordan Subban be given a shot even if he's a defensive liability. They want to see Nikita Tryamkin be given top 4 minutes and not be alienated by the coaching staff and bolt back to Russia. They want to see what the hell is up with this "Jalen Chatfield" kid who tore it up in the preseason. They want to see this feisty little winger named Michael Carcone come in and try to be a new age Alex Burrows. They want to see Jake Virtanen be given a chance for redemption.  Why do you think the crowd kept chanting "WE WANT BOESER" at the Ottawa game? Because the fans are STARVING for youth. They're starving for fast hockey. They miss the good old days. It sucks to say but the Sedins era (and god what an era that was!) is over and I'll be dismayed if they get re-signed, even for a year, they're basically the epitome of "You either die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain" because their presence on the team is now causing the team to not be able to rebuild the way it truly needs too.

And I say this honestly, I know the Canucks are playing it safe... but come on, it's too safe now. All these signings are WAY too safe. There needs to be a little risk. Stash these vets in the minors and only call them up if playing these kids in the NHL becomes too detrimental to their careers. But come on, this roster is ridiculous for how mediocre it is and frankly -- the fans know and that's why they're staying at home and catching the highlights on youtube.

Hell, I'm more likely to go to the Canucks game when the Golden Knights are in town -- not to cheer on the Canucks -- but to see what is up with the Golden Knights. And that's saying a lot.

6 minutes ago, Quantum said:

It's pretty simple. Canucks fans are smart. They don't appreciated being treated like idiots by management types like Trevor Linden and Jim Benning who are lying through there teeth about having a "competitive team". Fans don't want to watch over-the-hillers like Sam Gagner (sucks to say), Loui Eriksson (never should have been signed), and Thomas Vanek (Marco Sturm-level mistake signing) play meaningless games. Fans want the Maple Leafs treatment, they're smart. They want to see the team tank. They want to see youth. They want to see Nikolay Goldobin (who has 7 goals + 1 assist in 8 games with the Utica Comets spread out between this season and last) score and struggle and learn. They want to see Jordan Subban be given a shot even if he's a defensive liability. They want to see Nikita Tryamkin be given top 4 minutes and not be alienated by the coaching staff and bolt back to Russia. They want to see what the hell is up with this "Jalen Chatfield" kid who tore it up in the preseason. They want to see this feisty little winger named Michael Carcone come in and try to be a new age Alex Burrows. They want to see Jake Virtanen be given a chance for redemption.  Why do you think the crowd kept chanting "WE WANT BOESER" at the Ottawa game? Because the fans are STARVING for youth. They're starving for fast hockey. They miss the good old days. It sucks to say but the Sedins era (and god what an era that was!) is over and I'll be dismayed if they get re-signed, even for a year, they're basically the epitome of "You either die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain" because their presence on the team is now causing the team to not be able to rebuild the way it truly needs too.

And I say this honestly, I know the Canucks are playing it safe... but come on, it's too safe now. All these signings are WAY too safe. There needs to be a little risk. Stash these vets in the minors and only call them up if playing these kids in the NHL becomes too detrimental to their careers. But come on, this roster is ridiculous for how mediocre it is and frankly -- the fans know and that's why they're staying at home and catching the highlights on youtube.

Hell, I'm more likely to go to the Canucks game when the Golden Knights are in town -- not to cheer on the Canucks -- but to see what is up with the Golden Knights. And that's saying a lot.

Did you just call a 28 year old with 50 points last year "Over the Hill"?

10 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Canucks were still 9th place among the league for attendance last season. Hockey just isn't a popular sport.

If they finish top 10 this year, I will eat my shoe. No way. I bet they finish 19th or 20th in attendance, a huge drop.

By the way, this shows we finished 11th last year: http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2017

1 hour ago, combover said:

There's no team, ufa signings on one year deals, no hype, no star talent, no direction, no emotional attachment, no enterianment value the on ice product has been awful.(the past two season especially) boring best describes what willies system was Vancouverites and west coasters have lots of  options for eterianment.

Green needs to bring excitement back into Vancouvers game but its tough when your handed a team that isn't fast isn't tough and isn't skilled. Just a lot of the same through out the line up. Picking one trait (skill , speed, toughness)  and becoming proficient at it at the very least give you an idenity to build and Sell. Mediocrity and below average at everything just doesn't sell. 

Doubt  lower ticket prices would even help, it's like going to a bad movie who cares how much it cost if it's still a bad movie.

hopefully Green can change that but  Nobody should be suprised that ticket sales are down.

the one guy that should be very concerned spent 36 million on a 3rd liner and doled out another 24mill on ufas. not exactly the best return on the owners hefty investment. 

48 minutes ago, Quantum said:

It's pretty simple. Canucks fans are smart.

Really?

3 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Spending to the cap floor could result in attendance of 9000 or 10000 a night, and maybe that's low enough to get the team moved. It almost happened before, don't say never... so that sole reason alone I am happy that they spend to the cap, because it might mean the difference between 10000 or 15000 a night. Frankly, I am surprised they didn't go out and sign Jagr... I bet they wish they had. Seems like the type of move this team would do, just to sell Jerseys and Tickets.

I dont know about that. I for one dont see how being a cap-ceiling, bottom-feeder results in higher attendance figures. For me it's one of several things I find frustrating at the moment. To have that much 'dead cap' in my view suggests incompetent management/ownership by employing so many players who are not performing up to their pay grade, nevermind exceeding it. I'd say it also suggests that whoever is actually running this show is gunning more towards playoffs than a proper rebuild. That's frustrating and maybe that's contributing to the fans staying away.

18 minutes ago, jovocop55 said:

We have well below average team but still one of the top ticket prices in the league, u do the math :lol:.  

Bring back cheap family nights, $100 for 4 tickets.   Now like right now when it’s $50-70 a ticket most nights

Apples and oranges, you can't compare an American market price to a Canadian market price. 

Now, if you compare the other Canadian teams, only the Senators and Flames have cheaper tickets.

So, I don't understand, the whole "high ticket prices" argument.   

Archived