The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks attendance hits lowest since 2001, fans are not buying tickets

DonaldBrashear

5 minutes ago, xereau said:

There is a certain kind of, and I really do hate to call it this, morbid real time nostalgia watching the twins' decline too.  This team is in limbo until they are gone.

The worst part about it all was Linden saying that it would be "unfair" to the Sedins to do a proper rebuild. Just seems like more excuses to mask the fact that the owner set a mandate and they are following that to a tee. 

5 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Fan base:  "Rebuild, Rebuild, Rebuild!"

TL:  "We're rebuilding:

Fan base:  "Oh we're rebuilding, we'll wait to buy tickets until we're competitive again...."

exactly my thinking

so do not be surprised that when the canucks improve and are competitive

that ownership attempts to extract every possible dollar from this fan base

quid pro quo for failure to be true fans

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

He is knocking on the door, but believe it or not, our D depth is quite good right now and there's no rush to bring him into the lineup this year, so that's why he's going to Finland. This is the smart way to enter a player into the league, as we are not in a win now situation like other teams are. Again, this fanbase needs instant gratification like no other. I believe this is because our fanbase is temperamental and not that knowledgeable, in general, about hockey as a whole. That's why our stadium is empty during a rebuild they've been calling for, because our fans can't find the positives in our rebuilding situation. 

I don't need instant gratification but in recent memory I can't think of any other team that's needed to develop a top 5 pick for 3-5 years, seems like a sure path develop a top prospect into a mediocre NHL player.

Paid 102 CDN on stubhub for section 114, row 25 about 10 minutes into the first period. Scalpers were selling singles in the 300 level for 80 bucks after puck drop. 

I was gonna buy tickets for this game regardless but prices like that are a little nuts for a bottom feeder team that's not selling out. 

12 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

exactly my thinking

so do not be surprised that when the canucks improve and are competitive

that ownership attempts to extract every possible dollar from this fan base

quid pro quo for failure to be true fans

Stinking is okay if the product is entertaining. Throwing out slow vets and playing them big minutes is what pisses off the fan base. Guys like Vanek and Eriksson should definitely not be in the lineup. 

The Edler injury and now potentially Loui, might actually excite the fanbase cause young kids get opportunities. 

Whoever doing marketing should be fired lol

i mean u know tickets can’t sell, why keep jacking up prices on ticketmaster.  and make no effort to lower for families... so u get all these empty seats.    If ownership didn’t want to do that, then blame the ownership 

As someone said earlier, all the young players that we have that are able to play in the NHL are here. Signing the vets wasn't a desperate attempt to sell tickets or make the playoffs. It was to buy time for development, and to shelter the young players that we do have playing here.

I live in Edmonton, and I've seen the consequences of rushing players, intentionally tanking, and missing the playoffs for the decade. 

35 minutes ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

I live in Edmonton, and I've seen the consequences of rushing players, intentionally tanking, and missing the playoffs for the decade. 

meh, they were on the right track when they had Krueger behind the behind.

Then their management crew took a big dump on the team by hiring Dallas Eakins....

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Unless I'm mistaken, ticket prices have become dirt cheap. I saw ads for tickets starting from 40-something dollars. I can't remember a time in my life when the team sold tickets that cheap.

Through a canucks promotion my mom paid $80 for a pair of tickets to two games that was back in the ealry 2000s.

Last time I went to a game the tickets were 367(didnt pay for them they were corporate seats) dollars a piece for lowerbowl pre season that was for the 2010/2011 season.

You can see the contrast though.

One was when the team sucked like currently the other was during a time when every player left the ice and took responsibility for what they did.

1 hour ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

As someone said earlier, all the young players that we have that are able to play in the NHL are here. Signing the vets wasn't a desperate attempt to sell tickets or make the playoffs. It was to buy time for development, and to shelter the young players that we do have playing here.

Goldobin is in Utica.  Brock sat the first 2 games. Virtanen was benched tonight.  So ya there's guys not getting a chance while we watch old retreads take their spots.

Nux have made the playoffs once in the last 5 years and that ended in embarassment.  So stop with the the edmonton warning its bs. We are a boring team with a lack of youth in a rebuild without balls. 

No more Sedins please. 

Canucks hanging onto how with the sedins who need to retire. Benning and Gillis not clearing house 4-6 years ago; selling a non rebuild when the fans wanted it (new players, skill), wasted picks, bad trades, high prices, apathy, etc it’s no doubt affecting low attendance

look at how the leafs did it right - 2 years of pain and now a bright future with a great on ice product 

10 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Did you just call a 28 year old with 50 points last year "Over the Hill"?

Yep. He is going to have a season like he did on Philly the year before he went to Columbus. He got overpaid for his work and he won't be much of an improvement. He's been in the league 10 years and has never been able to establish himself anywhere for a long period of time (Edmonton doesn't really count) and I take that as a sign of a player who shouldn't be on this Canucks roster. Frankly, I believe he should be back in Columbus or a team that's in contending position as he best fits those kinds of teams. He isn't adding anything to Vancouver, sadly, in my opinion. 

Archived