The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a #1 goalie...

Matt_T83

I'm not concerned in the slightest.  While great if we have a goalie step up as a #1 right now, we are likely not to make the playoffs anyway so it isn't nearly as essential as it would be for a playoff team. This is another transition year when we get our ducks (meaning young guys) in a row so they have a couple of years to get really good.  And by young guys, I'm including Demko.  

The idea is to have all your guys peak around the same time so you can fit them all in under the cap and have a powerhouse team.  I think we are well on our way to doing this, and we are going to have a sub par team likely with sub par goaltending until we do.

I can live with that.

LOL we have two that are not to bad, yes we would all like to have another Brodeur,McLean,Luo or so on,but what we have are two guys doing a decent job for us.One bad game this year by a goalie and people want a new tender.Well Luo and all had bad games but yet they were good if not great.

On 10/20/2017 at 10:50 PM, cripplereh said:

LOL we have two that are not to bad, yes we would all like to have another Brodeur,McLean,Luo or so on,but what we have are two guys doing a decent job for us.One bad game this year by a goalie and people want a new tender.Well Luo and all had bad games but yet they were good if not great.

I'd say all three reached "great" at their peak.  And people forget that Brodeur backstopped the Nordiques to the WHA's version of the Stanley Cup, and was an all star in that league.

I'm not terribly impressed with Markstrom so far and Nilsson just hasn't played enough for me to even guess, but I do remember that McLean had a year or two where he seemed to open half of his games by allowing a goal in the first couple minutes.  However, what he was great at was putting that goal behind him and playing strong the rest of the way.  It seemed like, at least for that stretch of a year or two, he needed that early goal to wake him up, and then there was a good chance it would be the only goal he allowed.

Luongo's thing was always allowing a goal in the final 90 seconds of a shutout bid, or when we were up by a goal.  I swear his GAA for those minutes in those situations must have been about 10.00 per 60 minutes.  Still a definite Hall of Famer though.

I am happy with 'staying the course' this year.  The team has 2 backup goalies who will divide the games fairly evenly, ending the season with backup goalies # of games.  Like many other players on the team, they are place holders until Demko and then eventually, Di Pietro (hopefully).  The reason Marks was given a 3 year term is so that they don't have to rush Demko. 

34 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Thatcher Demko.

4 Games.

3 Wins

1 Shutout

1.26 GAA

.960% save percentage. 

Patience Grasshoppers, he will be here soon. 

He was out of his mind against Rochester last night.  Comets will win the next two games against the Amerks just off this performance because the Amerks will come into the game needing Prozac knowing they can't score on Demko.  

7 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

He was out of his mind against Rochester last night.  Comets will win the next two games against the Amerks just off this performance because the Amerks will come into the game needing Prozac knowing they can't score on Demko.  

Works for me. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Markstrom is starting to show why he is the #1 on this team.

He was unlucky on the first few games he played, but he moved past that and kept focused.

Now he is playing as well as I have ever seen him play.

Its kinda funny, but all those games he sat on the bench and watched Miller... I am seeing a lot of Miller in his game... the way he moves laterally, the way he shift position to anticipate... I think he was a real student of Miller's style... but of course, he has adapted the mobility that was Miller's strong point to his own advantage of size.

I'm impressed... hoping he can keep it up.  B)

Archived