The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a #1 goalie...

Matt_T83

26 minutes ago, bp79 said:

typical of cdc. He played well in the first 3 games, and its A big transition to being A #1. how about we give him at least 20-30 games till we lynch this guy. Before today his gaa was 2 and his sp was I think 945. I recall plenty of games last year where Miller gave up 5 goals. People need to relax A bit What bothers me more is that Jake wasn't playing.

Well said. 

Markstrom was bad tonight from the get go. There's no way Giordano's goal should have went it. But Markstrom wasn't the reason why we lost. Our PP was atrocious. Absolutely pathetic. Calgary practically gifted us this one and our special teams blew it. Then we come back with the most uninspired period I've seen in a while in the 2nd. The game was over at that point. 

Give Markstrom a breather next game and for the love of god, take the Sedins off the PP. 

6 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Well said. 

Markstrom was bad tonight from the get go. There's no way Giordano's goal should have went it. But Markstrom wasn't the reason why we lost. Our PP was atrocious. Absolutely pathetic. Calgary practically gifted us this one and our special teams blew it. Then we come back with the most uninspired period I've seen in a while in the 2nd. The game was over at that point. 

Give Markstrom a breather next game and for the love of god, take the Sedins off the PP. 

couldn't agree more. 

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Helps the stealth tank.

I call it the Unintentional Tank. Ownership, management, and players don't want to Tank, but it's just happening anyway cause with regards to the team that they're icing,... it is what it is. They're not good. 

So... let's just let it ride. IMO they are at least a couple more Top 5 picks away from being relevant in this young, fast league. Demko and Pettersson will be ready by then and hopefully they pluck a gem RH Dman from the plethora of them in this year's draft. 

But what also has to happen this off season is either the Twins have to hang em up, or the team has to walk away from them as UFAs. It's time for a complete culture change and that primarily goes for Dank and Hank. They've done a great job here, but it's time to turn that page and hand the reigns over to Bo. Also, Daniel should get to 1000 pts this yr, and the two of them hittting that will be a hell of a milestone. It's the right time for their swan song. 

We should be seeing guys like Goldobin, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovic getting a shot to make the team in the next couple years and perhaps as early as next year if they want consumer confidence back.

Problem is...I don't see Travis Green giving in to playing rookies. He wants to win, as a second contract is pretty hard to attain when you suck during your first one.  

Its why the Unintentional Tank is a beautiful thing. Especially if they finally hit the lottery. 

At least a goalie is somewhat easy to remedy.  If Demko isn't that man, they you pay $6-$7 for a UFA.

Every summer 2-3 decent goalies come on the market.  

Much easier than fixing the lack of offence....that can't be done with a single player.

19 minutes ago, DinoTambo said:

I call it the Unintentional Tank. Ownership, management, and players don't want to Tank, but it's just happening anyway cause with regards to the team that they're icing,... it is what it is. They're not good. 

So... let's just let it ride. IMO they are at least a couple more Top 5 picks away from being relevant in this young, fast league. Demko and Pettersson will be ready by then and hopefully they pluck a gem RH Dman from the plethora of them in this year's draft. 

But what also has to happen this off season is either the Twins have to hang em up, or the team has to walk away from them as UFAs. It's time for a complete culture change and that primarily goes for Dank and Hank. They've done a great job here, but it's time to turn that page and hand the reigns over to Bo. Also, Daniel should get to 1000 pts this yr, and the two of them hittting that will be a hell of a milestone. It's the right time for their swan song. 

We should be seeing guys like Goldobin, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovic getting a shot to make the team in the next couple years and perhaps as early as next year if they want consumer confidence back.

Problem is...I don't see Travis Green giving in to playing rookies. He wants to win, as a second contract is pretty hard to attain when you suck during your first one.  

Its why the Unintentional Tank is a beautiful thing. Especially if they finally hit the lottery. 

Agreed, DT..good post. Funny, cos' I did a thread on this(ST 80% done) recently, & we debated what it should be called. Inadvertant..clumsy tank(lol)..a dead hog by any name will smell as ripe/rank, as the beaut we've got here.

So let's raise our tankards, cos' we're all toasted, dammit.

3 hours ago, Matt_T83 said:

With all due respect to Markstrom, he's at best a top tier backup goalie. I'd rate him in the bottom 5 of starting goalies in the NHL right now. It's obviously early in the season, 4 games in. He could have a hot streak later on and make me look like a fool.

And I feel the team is playing not badly. We're doing alright on faceoffs and we're not getting outshot. Despite this Markstrom has back to back low 800 save % numbers... completely unacceptable for a starting goalie in the NHL.

But I swear I read somewhere on CDC that WD was the problem. :blink:

First year in a long time that this team hasn't had a star goalie. Luongo then Schneider then Miller, we'd have to go back a decade to find the last time we had a bunch of average backups sharing the net.

I said it at the start, losing Miller and not replacing him will hurt this team more than anything else. We're better up front, we're the same on defence but we take a big hit in net. Does it matter so much if we know we're going to suck, probably not, but it'll be a hard few years until Demko is NHL-ready.

I think it goes without saying that Markstrom is not a #1 goalie and never will be. The guy is almost 28 years old, already had a team give up on him, and is just getting his shot now.

What I'd like to know is, how in this day and age of generally low scoring hockey does such a big goaltender with 100 career starts not have 1 single shutout to his credit? You've got to be a special kind of ordinary with a serious mental block to pull that off.

10 hours ago, nickels said:

Markstrom was the worst player on either team tonite.

Have been saying in here for months/yrs....he is not a starting goalie in this league.

Never has been, isn't now and never will be.

Nor is Nillson....

That our management group could not see what was so obvious, inspires even less confidence in them than our goaltending.

Oh the management team saw it. They have the number 1 pick on their radar.

I wish they were that smart....

Our FA signings and Jake and Goldie not being in the line up is a clear indication of the teams intentions.

It's bad now...and is only gonna get worse.

You cannot win /compete in this league consistently without top end talent....and we don't have it.

10 hours ago, nickels said:

The huge difference being Markstrom has never had a successful stretch as a starting goalie.

It's not a stretch to say that this is probably the worst goaltending tandem in the history of our franchise

Oh please, Vancouver used to be a goaltending graveyard buddy. You look back on the team in the 70's and late 80's, you're not going to find goaltending gems there.

If anything, our current tending is decent. Not great, not bad, but decent.

12 minutes ago, Tomato Pajamas said:

Oh please, Vancouver used to be a goaltending graveyard buddy. You look back on the team in the 70's and late 80's, you're not going to find goaltending gems there.

If anything, our current tending is decent. Not great, not bad, but decent.

Why don't you make a list of tandems that you feel r worse than this one,,,,K buddy ?

You have almost 50 yrs of rosters to choose from...shouldn't be too difficult.

41 minutes ago, nickels said:

Why don't you make a list of tandems that you feel r worse than this one,,,,K buddy ?

http://goaliesarchive.com/canucks/yearbyyear.html

Take your pick. 

Boy, do fans like you like to overreact. Worst goaltending tandem in history? We haven't even started our back up yet. Give me a break lol

20 minutes ago, nickels said:

Why don't you make a list of tandems that you feel r worse than this one ?

I don't see your list buddy ??

Irbe/Mclean

Snow/Hirsch

Potvin/Essensa

Potvin/Snow

Cloutier/Skudra

Auld/Cloutier

Remember when Canucks came out and stated that Schneider was the #1 goalie?  In his first 4 games he sported a .897 s% and a 3.11 gaa.  I'm pretty sure the same type of threads came out after those games stating he was nothing than a glorified back up as well.   

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Irbe/Mclean

Snow/Hirsch

Potvin/Essensa

Potvin/Snow

Cloutier/Skudra

Auld/Cloutier

Remember when Canucks came out and stated that Schneider was the #1 goalie?  In his first 4 games he sported a .897 s% and a 3.11 gaa.  I'm pretty sure the same type of threads came out after those games stating he was nothing than a glorified back up as well.   

Fair enough ...you came up with 6 in almost 50 years..

And you are of the opinion that Markstrom is better than McLean and Potvin...

on what do you base this opinion ?

Potential ?...he's 27 years old

In recent era, Potvin and Essensa was worse. As bad as Markstrom has looked the team in front is also garbage. 

That Potvin - Essensa combo was on a playoff team with a reasonably solid defense (Jovanovski, Ohlund, Aucoin we all good defenders, and some solid vets like Lachance and Baron). The goaltending stood out as being particularly horrible, with fans chanting for Bob freakin Essensa, a 35 year old career back-up who played just 9 more NHL games after leaving Vancouver. 

We haven't even seen Nilsson play yet. He may end up taking the starting role from Markstrom and being a solid tender for us - we just don't know yet. 

1 minute ago, nickels said:

Fair enough ...you came up with 6 in almost 50 years..

And you are of the opinion that Markstrom is better than McLean and Potvin...

on what do you base this opinion ?

Potential ?...he's 27 years old

Is marky better than them in their prime years? No, but by the time Potvin got in Vancouver his career was over and he was washed up.  McLean only had a few solid years as a legit #1, We constantly brought in goalies we hoped could replace him, Gamble, Hirsch, Weeks, Irbe. Outside of the his prime years he was average/below average. 

It's a lot more than just 5 years.  Basically from a span between 1996-97 to 2005-06 Canucks had a worse tandem than we have today and I didn't even bother to look prior to those years.  Canucks goalies have never been that consistently good.  I'd say the only years we had better goaltending is when Luongo became a canuck.  

Archived