The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a #1 goalie...

Matt_T83

13 hours ago, coolboarder said:

I would give Markstrom a month to sort out his game and hopefully that he would plug a few softies that he allowed so far before jumping the gun.  We have Demko playing out of his mind in AHL and he would be first call-up if he keeps it up with his play until Christmas or as soon there's any injury to our goaltender.  We should see him no sooner either January 2018 or September 2018.  Either way, we will be fine if Markstrom is able to fix those weakness.  

Why on earth would you want Demko anywhere near the Canucks this year. He should focus on leading a stacked Comets team to glory. Canucks should when/if needed call up Bachman to back up Nilsson.

5 hours ago, Riviera82 said:

I think it goes without saying that Markstrom is not a #1 goalie and never will be. The guy is almost 28 years old, already had a team give up on him, and is just getting his shot now.

What I'd like to know is, how in this day and age of generally low scoring hockey does such a big goaltender with 100 career starts not have 1 single shutout to his credit? You've got to be a special kind of ordinary with a serious mental block to pull that off.

So I'm no goalie expert, and would love to hear thoughts on this from someone who has played the position, but to my amateur eye it looks like it's in his movement. When he's stationary waiting for the play to come to him he looks good positionally and stands huge taking away the net. But whenever he moves it's way too aggressive and he winds up off balance, out of position, sometimes completely out of the net.

Thing is, for someone like Markstrom to have success and start blanking other NHL teams, his coach/team is going to need to build the system around him, playing a stifling team defense and keeping everything boxed out, eg. what the Blues did with Elliott. That's the opposite of what Green and the majority of this fanbase wants (the most common refrain I heard this summer was "I don't care if we lose every game as long as we play up-tempo, exciting hockey!!").

So I think we're gonna put the final nail in Marky's NHL coffin this season, or to tl;dr it

14 hours ago, hammertime said:

Markys takin the abuse to draft Rasmus. 

Personally I want to see Nilsson just cause he's still unkown to me. Marky I really do believe is the type who will always be super successful at the AHL level, where there isn't the constant barrage of top tier talent ready to exploit those weaknesses, without being able to translate to the NHL. Love to be proven wrong, but that's my feeling.

1 minute ago, The Bookie said:

So I'm no goalie expert, and would love to hear thoughts on this from someone who has played the position, but to my amateur eye it looks like it's in his movement. When he's stationary waiting for the play to come to him he looks good positionally and stands huge taking away the net. But whenever he moves it's way too aggressive and he winds up off balance, out of position, sometimes completely out of the net.

Thing is, for someone like Markstrom to have success and start blanking other NHL teams, his coach/team is going to need to build the system around him, playing a stifling team defense and keeping everything boxed out, eg. what the Blues did with Elliott. That's the opposite of what Green and the majority of this fanbase wants (the most common refrain I heard this summer was "I don't care if we lose every game as long as we play up-tempo, exciting hockey!!").

So I think we're gonna put the final nail in Marky's NHL coffin this season, or to tl;dr it

Personally I want to see Nilsson just cause he's still unkown to me. Marky I really do believe is the type who will always be super successful at the AHL level, where there isn't the constant barrage of top tier talent ready to exploit those weaknesses, without being able to translate to the NHL. Love to be proven wrong, but that's my feeling.

I fer sher want to see Nilsson though I'm not expecting a better performance just a different look for shooters. I just think we have been spoiled with Luo, Schnides Miller....... Down the road I wonder If LA retains salary on Quick he would be a good mentor for Dipietro.

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sounds good

just for fun,

Markstrom - GS... 4, GAA.... 2.96, S%... 902

Murray - GS... 3, GAA.... 3.29, S%... 899

Dubnyk  - GS... 3, GAA.... 3.74, S%... 894

Price - GS... 5, GAA.... 3.45, S%... 885

Guess we better jump to conclusions on all these guys this year.

Well played Forsberg, well played.

Sounds good

just for fun,

Markstrom for Price they add? Amirite.

2 hours ago, nickels said:

Sorry if frustration occasionally translates that way.....no fun when team sucks yr after year

hey, I feel you're pain...started in the first season losing the spin of the wheel to the Sabres. I probably don't have a lot of years left but I sure would like a cup b4 I'm gone.

3 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

hey, I feel you're pain...started in the first season losing the spin of the wheel to the Sabres. I probably don't have a lot of years left but I sure would like a cup b4 I'm gone.

I hope there's a history of genealogical longevity in your family tree CeeBee ;)

Just now, nickels said:

I hope there's a history of genealogical longevity is you family tree CeeBee ;)

unfortunately it's  family genetics  that will be my demise. Genetics might be fixable for my grandkids or maybe even my kids but I'll have missed that boat.... maybe a transplant.... who knows.

6 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Cheer up CB51... you'll probably still be here long after the rest of us bud :)

1 minute ago, CeeBee51 said:

unfortunately it's  family genetics  that will be my demise. Genetics might be fixable for my grandkids or maybe even my kids but I'll have missed that boat.... maybe a transplant.... who knows.

Hang in there bud

27 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well played Forsberg, well played.

Sounds good

just for fun,

How bout a little side bet to be paypaled to our favorite Charity.

If Markstrom isn't the worst of those 4 in every single category (12 for12) at years end...I lose.

If he's only worst at 11/12 or less you guys win

11 minutes ago, nickels said:

How bout a little side bet to be paypaled to our favorite Charity.

If Markstrom isn't the worst of those 4 in every single category (12 for12) at years end...I lose.

If he's only worst at 11/12 or less you guys win

Hahaha

Maybe yes, maybe no. But as of now that is obviously not the case. 

Markstrom is not really a true #1 goalie, but he'll do in a pinch.  He's better than he's shown the last three games.  There have been too many soft goals, but that happens from time to time to keepers.  We'll have to see if he can get back on top of his game because we know he can play better.

In the big picture, people get frustrated after a few lacklustre games when the team isn't working as hard as we know they are capable of.  We know that the current iteration of the Canucks isn't a cup contender and an outside chance at the playoffs.  I'm ok with this.  What Benning has done is get us from having the worst prospect pool in the league to one of the top 10 prospect pools.  If we get a good pick this year it will only improve.  I hope Green can squeeze more out of this group than what he's gotten in the last 3 games but there's no point having unrealistic expectations either.

19 hours ago, Matt_T83 said:

With all due respect to Markstrom, he's at best a top tier backup goalie. I'd rate him in the bottom 5 of starting goalies in the NHL right now. It's obviously early in the season, 4 games in. He could have a hot streak later on and make me look like a fool.

And I feel the team is playing not badly. We're doing alright on faceoffs and we're not getting outshot. Despite this Markstrom has back to back low 800 save % numbers... completely unacceptable for a starting goalie in the NHL.

Marky is certainly not a proven #1 goalie, and alot of his goals against are terrible goals especially the first goals of the game and then he seems to settle down abit. I have to agree with you he's not a #1 and if he doesn't improve we'll have to make a decission on him. But to his defence the team in front of him is not all that great either

20 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I don't necessarily think Markstrom is going to be a top 5 goalie in this league, but don't forget that a goalie by the name of Marc-Andre Fleury who has had multiple all-star appearances and won 2 cups (2015-16 was all Murray so I'm not counting it) also had an entire playoff series in the low .800's for save percentage. Goalie's, even great ones, have bad stretches.

Markstrom is probably not the long term solution to our goaltending, Demko or DiPietro most likely is, but it's too early to be giving a verdict. 

Wasn't markstrom rated extremely high at one point ?  

Goalies can come out if no where and be great or be great and turn out bad once they hit the bigs.

I'm not holding my breath for demko. 

Maybe that's why they draft dipietro. To increase our chances one of them turns out great. 

I'd draft a couple more. 

Archived