The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I really don't. (It's not just a proposal)

Peter Campbell

It's starting to get on my nerves that people are sh*ting on Vanek so quick into this season. He is a smart player and will be good for around 20 goals I'd imagine, so should be able to get something back for him at the TDL. So far, he looks like a player that hasn't quite gelled with his new teammates; however, the promise is there! He set up Boeser beautifully not once but twice during the first period powerplays. Soon the points will start to roll in and everyone can calm down a bit. 

IMO and you were too young to compare, the 1994 Canuck team was 'The Best Canuck Team Ever' from Management all the way down to the custodians at the ole Pacific Coliseum where we almost blew the roof off.

The most successful was the 2011 team.

1 hour ago, Canuck_In_Paradise said:

It's starting to get on my nerves that people are sh*ting on Vanek so quick into this season.

Don't take it too seriously.

Some of us have shat on Vanek for years and years - it's hard to stop.

But he does look like a harder worker than he's been in the past - so making an effort to like the guy.

Still however, he's bloody slow - and combine that with the Sedins and you have one hell of an easy line to jump all over despite their proficient passing.

Imo the Sedins need a Virtanen to play with them - just my opinion, but his speed and transition threat is absolutely essential to creating a bit of space for them.  Might even light a fire under him, the opportunity to play with them - and perhaps they keep him engaged and don't allow him to take shifts off.

Leave them with Vanek however and prepare to watch a season of rubber boots in 6 inches of mud.

I'm not suggesting they scratch Vanek (quite yet) but he and Burmistrov are neck and neck to be replaced by Jake imo.

It's the coach it is not the team.

Dumping pucks into goalies that are great puck handlers is the stupidest strategy.

Hiring a power play coach that was amazing, but has him doing the same thing we've seen since he's been gone is ridiculous.

Vanek and Lou playing anywhere but the 3 or 4th line is stupid.  The Sedin's may be slow, but they are world class smart.  The other two are just worn out.  Do something, then you deserve good time on top lines.

This has been an ugly start to the season, and no one is to blame except the coach and his team

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

Hard pass on that proposal.

A pending UFA who has a 50% shot at best of re-signing, a pending RFA that will be due for a big raise if he's worth re-signing and a 2nd round pick for GL? I'd gladly take my chances with that. Something's got to give on our backend. Yes, Edler is injured right now but we'll need to make for Juolevi, Pouliot and hopefully someone in Utica. If we can do that and swap Baer for GL in the process, that's a big win IMO. 

Sakic won't trade him though.

8 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

A pending UFA who has a 50% shot at best of re-signing, a pending RFA that will be due for a big raise if he's worth re-signing and a 2nd round pick for GL? I'd gladly take my chances with that. Something's got to give on our backend. Yes, Edler is injured right now but we'll need to make for Juolevi, Pouliot and hopefully someone in Utica. If we can do that and swap Baer for GL in the process, that's a big win IMO. 

Sakic won't trade him though.

Price is way too high imo.

I consider Gudbranson worth the value we paid for him - and believe the one year deal is just an agreement to revisit longer term market value once he's had a chance to perform here - I think he re-signs mid way through this season.  50% at best shot of re-signing him doesn't strike me as having a grounding to base something like that on.

So the 1st (McCann) and 2nd spent on Gudbranson, added to a 2nd spent on Baertschi - that has upticked imo (Baer is easily worth the pick that was spent, arguably more, and yeah, worth re-signing) - and another 2nd (likely a high 2nd) - in addition to Subban.

1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, Subban - no way I pay that price for Landeskog - particularly coming off a 33 pt season at 6 million salary  / 5.7 cap hit.

Just my opinion, but that a serious over-valuation of him at this point - and I don't see Colorado having the leverage to expect anything near that either.

I won't be surprised if Baertschi is dealt in due course - and wouldn't be surprised if Hutton is also dealt, particularly with Pouliot in the fold - but having to do something about Edler, Juolevi, MDZ, Hutton, Pouliot imo does not translate into dealing Gudbranson - a RHD - I just don't see that happening unless he forces JB's hand - and believe at the very least he'll give an indication of his intentions in time for the team to recover assets for him if that's absolutely necessary.

You remember the 94 series, when you were three years old? Somehow I think your memory of it is based on what you've learned about it more than actually remembering it. The atmosphere of this city was unique from any other time the team went to the finals.  It was a mildly talented team made up of good old fashioned hockey trades and good, focused scouting that drafted some amazing steals.

2011 was a team that was much more expected to go to the finals, nothing less than that was acceptable. 94 was a good team that was on its last legs of contending and knew it. 'Never say die' is a term I would use to define the 94 team.

Anyways, isn't this the wrong subforum for this? Why would you trade so much depth for players rounding their way to 30?

23 hours ago, Peter Campbell said:

We are four games into the season currently...

PPS: I'm 6 beers deep, excuse the typos, and thank you for reading to the end :towel:

Public service announcement: don't drink and post people.

Archived