The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Meanest things your parents have ever said to you

DontTouchMeGuys

2 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

I grew up pretty poor (paycheck to paycheck…when my parents did get paychecks). I would want things or ask for things, or question why my parents did the things they did. My parents constantly responded that they paid the bills and when I paid the bills I could make the rules. They were always obsessed with money since they never had any. It really made me feel like that was the only important thing to them, and that my thoughts and opinions didn't matter- even for non-monetary matters.

Now I make more money than either of them ever have. I help them out financially (and have been since ~age 17). I still haven't forgotten the way they made me feel though.

its good you found a way through all that to help them. 

I had what I would call a pretty distant relationship with my dad, he was a pretty unpleasant guy for a long time. But we found a way to reconnect a few years ago and I'm glad i was open to that. I just think guys from a certain generation just didn't know how to handle family life well. 

My parents were talking about me once when I was about seven; my mom said to my dad,"He tells jokes just like your dad, first he tells the joke then he starts laughing his head off at his own joke"

My dad says, "Yeah, but at least some of my dad's jokes are funny"

I've stopped laughing at my own jokes, but I'm still unfunny.

My parents had 9 children, of which I was the youngest.  During my earliest years, we all lived on a rather remote farm.  Mom and dad really didn’t say too much, from what I remember.  All I do really remember is them working very hard, and one specific time I spied on them.  This was a long time ago, when I was quite young.  I was listening to my parents (okay spying on) as they went through a shoe catalog.  Earlier that day they had each of us stand on cardboard from an old flattened box, and they traced all our feet.  I was really curious as to what was going on, so I spied on Mom and dad to see what they were doing.  Looking in on them, I noticed they were matching the cardboard patterns of each of us kids’ feet with pages in the catalog.  They wrote down some numbers on an order form, and put it into this big envelope.  Then I remember my dad saying, “time for us” to Mom.  Then they took off their old shoes, and put some of the cardboard cutouts inside.  During those early farm years I remember Us kids getting new shoes every year, but I don’t remember Mom or dad ever getting any.   No, my mom and dad didn’t say much, but they didn’t have to.  

One that stuck with me is that I was bullied a lot in school.  One day it was pretty bad (grade 8 I think?) where I ended up with a handprint bruise around my neck, and gum in my hair that my mom had to cut out.  I was pretty upset having been choked and all, and my mom asked me what I did to provoke this.  Of course, I hadn't done a thing... some kids are just messed up and needlessly cruel, but when I told her I hadn't done anything she told me I MUST have done something to them to be targeted.  

...the one person I needed support from wasn't willing to provide it.  

Seems like a little thing in retrospect, but from that point forward I no longer looked to my mother for any kind of support.

Some of these things aren't even that mean, it's just good tough love parenting. The important thing to remember in communicating with our own children is context. Whenever we reprimand our daughter when she misbehaves, we make sure we take the time every time to talk through why it was she was put on a timeout etc. Most of it likely flies over her head but going through the motions hopefully conditions her to be receptive to discipline and not rebellious or dismissive of it as she gets older.

Archived