The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

21 hours ago, Team Bagues said:

It's even better when you compare our current D to the mistake prone, slap-stick antics of the artists formerly known as Sbisa, Larsen, and Weber.

Whenever a pairing comprised of two of the aforementioned players was on the ice, this is what came to mind...

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

He’s been as advertised. He makes some good plays joins the rush he also makes some horrible plays in the defensive zone.

if he can tighten up his defensive game he’d been a very good  dman to bad that’s been the story of his nhl time. 

He’s an improvement what  over wierdcoat brings. 

34 minutes ago, combover said:

He’s been as advertised. He makes some good plays joins the rush he also makes some horrible plays in the defensive zone.

Subban, Suter, Weber, Letang, Keith, Burns, and other top tier defensemen have made horrible gaffes in their own end from time to time. It's human error. Pobody's nerfect.

34 minutes ago, combover said:

if he can tighten up his defensive game he’d been a very good  dman to bad that’s been the story of his nhl time. 

Has Pouliot ever had this much exposure to the NHL game? If not, well there is something called the learning curve that young players will experience.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Subban, Suter, Weber, Letang, Keith, Burns, and other top tier defensemen have made horrible gaffes in their own end from time to time. It's human error. Pobody's nerfect.

Has Pouliot ever had this much exposure to the NHL game? If not, well there is something called the learning curve that young players will experience.

He played 34 games three years ago and 22 the following year. He's not had extensive exposure, but he's not a complete rookie.

• Upvote 1

He's looked like an NHL player, which is nice.

I didn't know much about him other than recognizing his name as a former prospect/Team Canada WJC member, etc., but he does look like a mobile defenceman. No clear strength that would separate him from Del Zotto and whatever he brings, however.

I was hoping Pouliot would have a better bomb from the point, but his shot is no better than Del Zotto or Stecher, really.

We still don't have anybody on the point that has a powerful slapshot for the powerplay, unless Boeser slots there (we all know that's not where he belongs, though).

Edited by nergish

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

More times than not those guys will aton  for thier mistakes with assist and goals.of coarse there will be mistakes it doesn’t matter who you are some people learn from them others don’t. It’s a risk reward. Some players are high risk high reward some are just high risk.

hopefully he becomes a solid nhler, like I said it’s been the knock on him since he got drafted some of the decisions with and without the puck aren’t good.im not saying he’s looked bad and again hopefully he can learn to minamize those gaffs with more experience.

i rather see young players making rookie mistakes than vets.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, combover said:

More times than not those guys will aton  for thier mistakes with assist and goals.of coarse there will be mistakes it doesn’t matter who you are some people learn from them others don’t. It’s a risk reward. Some players are high risk high reward some are just high risk.

hopefully he becomes a solid nhler, like I said it’s been the knock on him since he got drafted some of the decisions with and without the puck aren’t good.im not saying he’s looked bad and again hopefully he can learn to minamize those gaffs with more experience.

i rather see young players making rookie mistakes than vets.

I think Pouliot is learning from his mistakes and that Green is the right coach to help him. Hell, I was not liking how Hutton was playing in the first four games, but he's starting to play with less jitter and more confidence. I still think Ben needs to add more physicality to his game, and if your defensive partner is Gudbranson, why not give it a go?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Pouliot is learning from his mistakes and that Green is the right coach to help him. Hell, I was not liking how Hutton was playing in the first four games, but he's starting to play with less jitter and more confidence. I still think Ben needs to add more physicality to his game, and if your defensive partner is Gudbranson, why not give it a go?

Yeah I agree, I though hutton was hitting more to start the season but has since backed off. Some of these guys are being asked to do a lot more with the injuries so of coarse there will be more mistakes. 

Green and baumgartner seem like the right coaches going forward.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, combover said:

Yeah I agree, I though hutton was hitting more to start the season but has since backed off. Some of these guys are being asked to do a lot more with the injuries so of coarse there will be more mistakes. 

Green and baumgartner seem like the right coaches going forward.

I agree.  They seem very adept at dealing with young players and appear to have a lot of insight into their games.   I also like how well they adapt to the various situations as they arise.  I think they are a very smart pair that know the game of hockey well and are not afraid to make changes when needed. 

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I agree.  They seem very adept at dealing with young players and appear to have a lot of insight into their games.   I also like how well they adapt to the various situations as they arise.  I think they are a very smart pair that know the game of hockey well and are not afraid to make changes when needed. 

Both green and baumer have had there fair share of adversity , baumer was atop prospect when he was drafted and it never really worked out NHL wise. So if there’s a guy that know what it’s like it’s him.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, combover said:

Both green and baumer have had there fair share of adversity , baumer was atop prospect when he was drafted and it never really worked out NHL wise. So if there’s a guy that know what it’s like it’s him.

For sure.  I remember him toiling in the AHL for years and barely getting a sniff at the NHL.  Always a great player in the AHL. He had an impressive season in '05, but was unable to sustain it the following year(s).  Pretty tough reality for a 10th overall pick.  He's done well in coaching so far and I am hoping he can achieve his goals as a coach that he couldn't as a player.

This is why I hate it when fans call players 'plugs'.  They have no idea how hard these guys work; both physically and emotionally.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, higgyfan said:

For sure.  I remember him toiling in the AHL for years and barely getting a sniff at the NHL.  Always a great player in the AHL. He had an impressive season in '05, but was unable to sustain it the following year(s).  Pretty tough reality for a 10th overall pick.  He's done well in coaching so far and I am hoping he can achieve his goals as a coach that he couldn't as a player.

This is why I hate it when fans call players 'plugs'.  They have no idea how hard these guys work; both physically and emotionally.

Calling a player a plug is an easy way to compartmentalize them. Out of the millions of kids who play hockey, only 700-800 every make it. They have to possess something special to make it that far. Even Bartkowski does......maybe.

• Upvote 1

All I'll say is he's getting more confident. Really showing good hockey IQ. I love how he's moving around on the PP. With him in the line up, not missing Edler at all lol. I think in a few more games, we'll see his points adding up. He's not missing the net by much. I think the time in Pittsburgh kind of rattled him. Once he has full confidence that Green trusts him, he'll really show his true potential.as others have said, he's learning from his mistakes and getting stronger every game. He's showing top 4 more and more.

• Upvote 1

On 10/24/2017 at 8:16 AM, combover said:

Have you ever have a 100% completely positive post? Just curious....