The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

49 minutes ago, Monty said:

Space Force

New Netflix show, starring Steve Carrell, which was both created by Carrell and one of the producers of the US version of "The Office".

It's about as good as the trailer makes it out to be. Not funny. There's certainly a few moments of humour in it, but it's more of a dramedy (though way more light hearted). But not really funny. There's a level of charm in it that keeps you going back to watch more, and certainly the fact that you can watch the entire series in a couple days makes it easier to swallow.

However, that's the problem with binge tv that I've always had. Whenever a show drops on Netflix/Amazon and you can watch it all in one sitting, I'm convinced a lot more shows are giving a pass because you can watch it all right away. In the past, Space Force probably wouldn't make it past episode 3 or 4 on traditional tv and would be cancelled pretty quickly. The positive thing, though, is that the show does have promise. And if they manage to tighten up the story and fine tune the characters and tone, I believe they can have something, here. But in it's current form, I can't see it being interesting past this one season.

Space Force is boss. :P I've only seen 5 episodes so far but it is so silly lol.  My wife and I were enjoying it because it is so silly and over the top. Can see where you are coming from tho!

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Space Force is boss. :P I've only seen 5 episodes so far but it is so silly lol.  My wife and I were enjoying it because it is so silly and over the top. Can see where you are coming from tho!

There’s a lot of promise and potential for it. Not only because the premise is silly, but there’s just too much talent in the cast for them to screw it up. John Malkovich, in particular, is scene stealing and the true star of the show. It isn’t until episode 8 or 9 when Ben Schwartz is allowed to have his moments. I’ve been following Schwartz since about 2008, and he is an insanely talented improver. He’s type cast as the social media/marketing role, but that’s fine. That’s exactly how he should be used.

I remember when Bojack Horseman first dropped, and saying something similar to that first season. It had me wanting more, but I knew there was too much promise for it to fail. And sure enough, that show is seen as one of the best cartoons in the past 10 years. 

So far, I’d honestly say that Steve Carrell, himself, is probably the character in the show that’s left the most wanting. Not that he’s bad in the role, but the character isn’t flushed out or particularly that interesting, yet. However, certainly after the season finale, and assuming it gets picked up for a 2nd season, there’s a lot more that can develop.

Community 9.5/10 (-1 per season afterwards)

This is the only show I've been watching since the pandemic started, one episode per day during dinner.  Not sure if I'll bother with the final season as I miss Troy and to a lesser extant Pierce.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 9:37 AM, Tre Mac said:

Community 9.5/10 (-1 per season afterwards)

This is the only show I've been watching since the pandemic started, one episode per day during dinner.  Not sure if I'll bother with the final season as I miss Troy and to a lesser extant Pierce.

I hear you. I've been working my way through the series and am on season 6.. the first season was by far the best.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, babych said:

I hear you. I've been working my way through the series and am on season 6.. the first season was by far the best.

I couldn't get through 10min of s6e1 last night lol.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I couldn't get through 10min of s6e1 last night lol.

Stick around for a few more. I just watched the episode where Chang is the lead in the school play of The Karate Kid. One of the best episodes in the last 4 seasons imo.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

A Confession - 8/10

Britbox miniseries based on the true story of Detective Stephen Fulcher. If you tend to believe the law is often a farce that bulldozes fairness and common sense in the name of procedure and red tape, this will certainly reinforce it. Some might find it slow, but I really enjoyed it, and found the story both heartbreaking and captivating.

• Cheers 1

As of today, a season 9 episode of The Office and the critically acclaimed Community episode “Advanced Dungeons and Dragons” have been removed from Netflix and Hulu, due to a character in each of them appearing in black face.

I can’t recall the The Office episode, apparently a Halloween one, but the Community episode is one where Ken Jeong (character Ben Chang) appears as a Dark Elf for the game, and smears black makeup on his face. He appears for maybe 5 minutes in the episode, and is called out by the group, as well.

EB369F90-64DC-4B4B-BDA8-48B832FE6A7B.gif.7f69fc136ea831b4eb0a8ff4c753b851.gif

4 hours ago, Monty said:

As of today, a season 9 episode of The Office and the critically acclaimed Community episode “Advanced Dungeons and Dragons” have been removed from Netflix and Hulu, due to a character in each of them appearing in black face.

I can’t recall the The Office episode, apparently a Halloween one, but the Community episode is one where Ken Jeong (character Ben Chang) appears as a Dark Elf for the game, and smears black makeup on his face. He appears for maybe 5 minutes in the episode, and is called out by the group, as well.

EB369F90-64DC-4B4B-BDA8-48B832FE6A7B.gif.7f69fc136ea831b4eb0a8ff4c753b851.gif

I've been re-watching The Office and actually am on Season 9. I just watched that episode not too long ago, it's "Dwight Christmas". Dwight dresses up as Belsnickel and then Nate is going to show up as Zwarte Piet (Black Peter), but he calls it off when Stanley hears about it.

_743_Eliminan-escena-con-blackface-de-un

11 minutes ago, Templeton Peck said:

I've been re-watching The Office and actually am on Season 9. I just watched that episode not too long ago, it's "Dwight Christmas". Dwight dresses up as Belsnickel and then Nate is going to show up as Zwarte Piet (Black Peter), but he calls it off when Stanley hears about it.

_743_Eliminan-escena-con-blackface-de-un

I should correct myself. From what I read, Netflix/Hulu was able to edit the scene for The Office, so it’s just omitted from the episode. Community, on the other hand, was taken out entirely.

Not lying, as soon as I read that today, I went on Amazon and bought the second season of Community, just so I’d have that episode. The second season of Community is largely considered the best of their series, and I must have watched that episode on Dungeons and Dragons alone upwards of 10 times. Easily the funniest of the series. 

• Upvote 1

Hanna Season 1:

Similar to the movie of the same name. Really liked the actor in the role of Eric Heller. The action and fight scenes seem good to me, and the pacing of the episodes was well done. The end of season 1 is pretty much the end of the movie, with enough changes to allow a season 2. Think that season starts on July 3/20.

Took a bit of getting used to the multiple languages used, I think they used simple words in the foreign tongues that came close to matching English words so as to keep people up to speed with the dialogue.

8/10

The Boys Season 1:

Some really good episodes, some a bit weak, but overall I liked it quite a bit. Some weird stuff in this show,  very funny at times, freaky at others.

Almost got Karl Urban who plays Billy Butcher, confused with  Manu Bennet, who was Slade Wilson in the Arrow series. Very similar voice and body type.

7.5/10

• 3 weeks later...

A.P. Bio - Season 1

Alright, this might be the last great show on standard cable tv. Glenn Howerton (It’s Always Sunny) plays the main character, who’s a recently fired Harvard Professor who now finds himself teaching high school Biology in Toledo. It’s fantastic.

94543660-714C-4F89-A289-11A100A6A5E4.thumb.jpeg.fe4df80eda7d90b7b6a7ccab7f5bb6c8.jpeg

Line Of Duty (Netflix & Britbox)

Season 1 - 7/10

Seasons 2 & 3 - 9/10

Seasons 4 & 5 - 8/10

Fantastic British series about a Police anti-corruption unit (same idea as internal affairs). Great acting and writing, full of plot twists. Seasons 2 & 3 were outstanding.

15 hours ago, Monty said:

A.P. Bio - Season 1

Alright, this might be the last great show on standard cable tv. Glenn Howerton (It’s Always Sunny) plays the main character, who’s a recently fired Harvard Professor who now finds himself teaching high school Biology in Toledo. It’s fantastic.

94543660-714C-4F89-A289-11A100A6A5E4.thumb.jpeg.fe4df80eda7d90b7b6a7ccab7f5bb6c8.jpeg

Thats a great show, I really enjoy him as an actor.  I really need to binge Its Always Sunny soon.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rome     22 episodes available on Crave

I enjoyed this.  A drama (filmed in 2005 to 2007) that covers the period when the Roman Republic transformed into the Roman Empire as seen through the eyes of two Roman soldiers, Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo.

It has a "Game of Thrones" feel to it - the epic staging, political manipulations, sudden killings and overt sexuality.