The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators

-Vintage Canuck-

I've been singing Burmistrov's praises since the first preseason game while others didn't see his value. Happy he's proving the naysayers wrong. His description by Green as a "rover" clearly meant that he is a very good jack of all trades, not the odd man out.

I also think people are being overly hard on Hutton. Anyone who saw him in the NCAA knows he was down on the half wall for Maine's PP and was often deep to push offense for what was an otherwise poor team. He's got the skills but in being asked to jump up more is finding that balance. Remember he was always told to sit back in the NHL under Willie so this is new for him.

And I'm surprised to be the first to say this after 16 pages but Jake's benching had nothing to do with Jake.  Green has said he prefers matching lines and as the game progresses opposing coaches typically shorten their bench in order to try to get something going when they're down. Ottawa thought that the Jake match up was looking particularly bad so benched a line in the third.  If anything this reflects well on Jake.  Green just didn't want to put his line in the position of matching against another line later in the game with his other lines doing a great job handling them.

for those curious about milbury's comments on travis green:

http://www.canoe.ca/HockeyAnaheimArchive/dec19_puke.html

Saturday, December 19, 1998

Milbury: Green a "gutless puke"

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- New York coach Mike Milbury had a few choice words for former Islanders center Travis Green. 

"Gutless puke" among them. 

Angered by the way Green, now with Anaheim, slammed New York defenseman Kenny Jonsson into the glass, Milbury verbally slammed Green. 

"He took advantage of somebody who was on the ropes. There's no question it was from behind and against the glass," said Milbury, never one to mince words. "He's a gutless puke, that's what Travis Green is. That's why he doesn't wear an Islander uniform any more. And he gets paid way too much, but that's my fault. 
 "I don't know what day they come into Long Island, or what year, but it'll be interesting." 

The Ducks are at the Islanders on April 3. 
 Jonsson, in his fourth game back after missing eight of nine with a concussion, sustained another head injury as a result of Green's hit, and was helped off the ice in the first period of Friday night's 2-2 tie with the Mighty Ducks. 

An Islanders team doctor said he could not immediately determine whether Jonsson sustained another concussion. 
 Green didn't seem particularly bothered by his former coach's caustic comments. 

"Oh, Mike. Some things never change. He knows everything. Maybe he's right," Green said sarcastically. "Nothing surprises me at all that that guy says. I've seen it all and I know everyone else has. I'll just leave it at that. 

"I'm not going to dip down to Mike's level." 

Green wasn't the only one to draw Milbury's ire; referee Brad Watson also took some hits.

"I'm still flabbergasted that at the very least it wasn't a boarding call," Milbury said of the no-call on Green. "The referee lost control of the game. (Sergei) Nemchinov got a one-handed whack right across the knee. He wasn't really hurt, but it was clearly in a vulnerable area." 

In a rowdy first period marked by a series of fights and 62 penalty minutes, Jonsson, Nemchinov and Anaheim defenseman Jason Marshall all went off with injuries. Nemchinov was the only one to return. 

Jonsson was hurt with 1 1/2 minutes left in the period. Five minutes earlier, Nemchinov left with a bruised knee after the Ducks' Jim McKenzie slashed him from behind, with no penalty called. Marshall went out with a pulled left hamstring after Claude Lapointe rode him into the boards a minute after the opening faceoff. 

A melee broke out seconds after Jonsson went down, with the Islanders' Joe Sacco, playing against his former Anaheim teammates for the first time, and the Ducks' Jamie Pushor drawing game misconduct penalties. 

Things settled down afterward, with only four more penalties the rest of the way. 

New York's Mariusz Czerkawski evened it 2-2 with 9:38 remaining in regulation as the Islanders skated to their first tie of the season. Tommy Salo made 39 saves for New York, including stopping a point-blank shot by Teemu Selanne midway through the overtime. 

1 hour ago, JoesRooster said:

Pouliot looked fast, played well with Stecher and even got a little chippy. Cross-checked a sens player between whistles, unsure of who exactly. I liked his game tho.

Gagner got put with the Sedins half way through the game and they looked good together! Finally finding some chemistry on this team.

Nilsson = amazing. Had a little trouble with rebounds early on but he settled down and held the fort.

I didn't really notice Sutter much, which means he probably played well lol.

Disallowed goal he put in and hit crossbar if I remember 

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We can sign him fore 'free' (no assets) in the summer. We're not trading for him.

Im not sure how Erikkson would be considered an asset, more like a liability. Well since Kane will walk for nothing with Buffalo. We can give them a 2nd rounder just for taking Eriksson!

3 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Im not sure how Erikkson would be considered an asse, more like a liability. Well since Kane will walk for nothing with Buffalo. We can give them a 2nd rounder just for taking Eriksson!

O r we could keep our 2nd and Eriksson and just sign Kane....

14 hours ago, Quantum said:

Anders Nilsson clearly signed here because he thought he'd have a chance at being the #1 goalie for the Canucks. After tonight's performance, oh boy, Marky is gonna have to deliver because Nilsson looked like a man on a mission. Nilsson wants to be a #1 and he may very well become the #1 here if he continues to play the way he did tonight in future games.

I also really like the Three B line of Baertschi - Burm - Boeser. There may be something there. Worth seeing if they can keep up the chemistry in future games.

Liked Vanek's goal -- still not sold on him as a Canuck. Though, good on him for getting his 700th career point tonight.

I was thinkn the same thing in that Nilsson signed here because he knows hes better thn Marky.

26 minutes ago, tas said:

for those curious about milbury's comments on travis green:

http://www.canoe.ca/HockeyAnaheimArchive/dec19_puke.html

Saturday, December 19, 1998

Milbury: Green a "gutless puke"

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- New York coach Mike Milbury had a few choice words for former Islanders center Travis Green. 

"Gutless puke" among them. 

Angered by the way Green, now with Anaheim, slammed New York defenseman Kenny Jonsson into the glass, Milbury verbally slammed Green. 

"He took advantage of somebody who was on the ropes. There's no question it was from behind and against the glass," said Milbury, never one to mince words. "He's a gutless puke, that's what Travis Green is. That's why he doesn't wear an Islander uniform any more. And he gets paid way too much, but that's my fault. 
 "I don't know what day they come into Long Island, or what year, but it'll be interesting." 

The Ducks are at the Islanders on April 3. 
 Jonsson, in his fourth game back after missing eight of nine with a concussion, sustained another head injury as a result of Green's hit, and was helped off the ice in the first period of Friday night's 2-2 tie with the Mighty Ducks. 

An Islanders team doctor said he could not immediately determine whether Jonsson sustained another concussion. 
 Green didn't seem particularly bothered by his former coach's caustic comments. 

"Oh, Mike. Some things never change. He knows everything. Maybe he's right," Green said sarcastically. "Nothing surprises me at all that that guy says. I've seen it all and I know everyone else has. I'll just leave it at that. 

"I'm not going to dip down to Mike's level." 

Green wasn't the only one to draw Milbury's ire; referee Brad Watson also took some hits.

"I'm still flabbergasted that at the very least it wasn't a boarding call," Milbury said of the no-call on Green. "The referee lost control of the game. (Sergei) Nemchinov got a one-handed whack right across the knee. He wasn't really hurt, but it was clearly in a vulnerable area." 

In a rowdy first period marked by a series of fights and 62 penalty minutes, Jonsson, Nemchinov and Anaheim defenseman Jason Marshall all went off with injuries. Nemchinov was the only one to return. 

Jonsson was hurt with 1 1/2 minutes left in the period. Five minutes earlier, Nemchinov left with a bruised knee after the Ducks' Jim McKenzie slashed him from behind, with no penalty called. Marshall went out with a pulled left hamstring after Claude Lapointe rode him into the boards a minute after the opening faceoff. 

A melee broke out seconds after Jonsson went down, with the Islanders' Joe Sacco, playing against his former Anaheim teammates for the first time, and the Ducks' Jamie Pushor drawing game misconduct penalties. 

Things settled down afterward, with only four more penalties the rest of the way. 

New York's Mariusz Czerkawski evened it 2-2 with 9:38 remaining in regulation as the Islanders skated to their first tie of the season. Tommy Salo made 39 saves for New York, including stopping a point-blank shot by Teemu Selanne midway through the overtime. 

"Gutless puke" coming from the guy who beat a fan with the fans own shoe!

7 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Why would we want to keep eriksson? 

It's not about 'wanting' him. It is what it is with Eriksson. It's more about wanting to keep the 2nd and not needing to pay to move Eriksson.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not great for a buyout but pretty good to trade those last 2 years after the bonus is paid out in July and he has to submit a 16 (+ if there's expansion) list he'd move to. IIRC, after his bonus is paid, his actual salary is $5m for both those last years combined or $2.5 per. Good deal for a cash strapped team like ARZ etc.

Do we 'need' him as per the thread title.? Probably not. But most teams have a 'bad' contract or two to deal with, he's apparently ours.

Until we can move him, he can play up and down the lineup and worst case plays in a checking role with Sutter etc the next couple years or best case, fits better with some of the upcoming kids than he does with current personnel and is closer to living up to the contract.

He's veteran depth for the next few years and his cap hit isn't a problem unless your name is Francesco.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's not about 'wanting' him. It is what it is with Eriksson. It's more about wanting to keep the 2nd and not needing to pay to move Eriksson.

I think the problem i'm seeing with him and the gagner signing is the roster spot that take up forcing us to move out someone younger.  

Between Gagner and Baertschi, i'll keep Baertschi

Between Eriksson and Granlund, i'd keep granlund.

Assuming we do sign kane and goldy graduates (no longer wavier eligible) next year there's not enough spots.  Then if you consider us resigning Burmy, or Dahlen, Petterrsson or Gaudette being wild cards, were going to be in quite the situation locked in with a couple of bad contracts. 

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think the problem i'm seeing with him and the gagner signing is the roster spot that take up forcing us to move out someone younger.  

Between Gagner and Baertschi, i'll keep Baertschi

Between Eriksson and Granlund, i'd keep granlund.

Assuming we do sign kane and goldy graduates (no longer wavier eligible) next year there's not enough spots.  Then if you consider us resigning Burmy, or Dahlen, Petterrsson or Gaudette being wild cards, were going to be in quite the situation locked in with a couple of bad contracts. 

Meh, other than perhaps Granlund, I don't see any of that top group being around for the next core so I guess I just don't see it as a real problem long term. They'll all be moved, the 'when' or in what order doesn't particularly concern me.

Petterson and Gaudette, assuming they're both signed and in North America, should be starting in Utica next year IMO. Let them adjust and get time as injury call ups and after the TDL. Dahlen could probably use one more season of the same.

I've already stated numerous times I think/would like Baer moved/packaged this TDL/summer and his raise $ spent on Kane, his spot given to Goldobin (assuming it's earned).

Assuming we sign Kane, something like:

Kane, Horvat, Granlund

Goldobin, Gagner/Burmistrov?, Boeser

Eriksson, Gagner/Burmistrov?, Virtanen

Gaunce, Sutter, Dorsett

The rest in Utica for injuries and TDL.

49 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I've been singing Burmistrov's praises since the first preseason game 

You have not, quit lying

Oh my, however could I back this claim up?

On 29/09/2017 at 8:19 AM, SamJamIam said:

Was at the game and no, Rodin was not nearly as noticeable as Burmistrov.  Maybe Rodin just looks more noticeable to the cameras as he zips around ineffectively?

Rodin looked like Mason Raymond, no matter how hard he worked he'd fall down, get pushed off the puck and otherwise made ineffective. It looked like he was just too small to deal with the NHL game.

Burmistrov looked shockingly good. He made endless little plays that created turnovers, stood the Flames up at the blue line and kept it in play when the Flames attempted to clear after sustained pressure. He was fast, played BIG (still can't believe hes only 6'1") and played smart.  He calmly would tie up a guy, win the battle, get it right to a linemate consistently which is why he was playing a decent amount of PK time.  He looked like a vet and when it comes to smarts, Burmistrov had the smartest play of the game: during a line change Smith was about to have the puck roll to him.  Burmistrov flew off the bench like a bat out of hell, straight towards the penalty boxes. The puck got to Smith, he made a stretch pass to a waiting Flames at our blue line who would have had a break away.  I don't think he expected Burmy could get across fast enough to do anything about it but instead it was a massive giveaway and Smith had to get set in a hurry to stop the shot. You could tell Smith was rattled after that and the amount of foresight it requires to see that play developing at the bench is stunning.  Guys a beaut.

My grandest apologies.  It was only the second preseason game he played in for us, with the first being in China.

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Don't waste your breath with captainhorvat, every thread it's a slam against Eriksson.  I wonder, if Bo doesn't live up to his contract, if he'll be as hard on him or not.  But I hope that every canuck does well, especially Bo.  It's better being positive then negative.  There's too much negativity in the world.  Hockey is suppose to be for entertainment.   

Archived