The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Apparently the guys who get paid lots of money to make those decisions thought so - that should tell you something about Erikssons play. I doubt anyone's plan at the start of the season was to demote a 6 million dollar player to the bottom 6, but Erikssons play dictated that, not his deployment which was VERY generous until he gave them no choice. He's a terrible fit with the Sedins period.

Well team Sweden doesn't think so.  And I think they've done pretty well with that line.  They played the beginning of the season in the world championships (or whatever that tournament was called) and looked fine.  It was when they got back to Vancouver they didn't do well.  I think it says more about the system that they were playing then the skill of the player.

How many years has it been since either Daniel or Henrik played under 13 minutes a game? (Not games they've left with injuries)

Daniel 12:29 

Henrik 12:48 

I certainly don't recall any other time... I went through Daniel's #'s 

2016 - Lowest Nov 5th @ Tor 14:20 TOI 

2015 - Dec 15th @ MIN both Sedins around 12 minutes combined for 3 points in a 6-2 loss 

2014 - Feb 5th vs SJ in 5-1 loss around 12:39

All in loses... not during wins like last night.

Times are changing :( 

Just now, apollo said:

How many years has it been since either Daniel or Henrik played under 13 minutes a game? (Not games they've left with injuries)

Daniel 12:29 

Henrik 12:48 

I certainly don't recall any other time... I went through Daniel's #'s 

2016 - Lowest Nov 5th @ Tor 14:20 TOI 

2015 - Dec 15th @ MIN both Sedins around 12 minutes combined for 3 points in a 6-2 loss 

2014 - Feb 5th vs SJ in 5-1 loss around 12:39

All in loses... not during wins like last night.

Times are changing :( 

It's for the better apollo.  We need the Sedins' to become the 3rd line.  Maybe they'll be more productive too, since they won't have to go up against the best D pairing of the opponent.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd say if anything it's Granlund/Goldobin/Dahlen vs Sven if you want to take that angle.

No Granlund and Dahlen are 200 foot players, that can play up and down the top 9, even slot in at the middle.

If we are looking at groupings it's closer too:

Versatile top 9 - Eriksson, Granlund, Dahlen

Skilled play making – Sven, Goldy, Gagner

Scoring – Virtanen, Boeser, Kane*

Energy/shutdown – Gaunce, Dorsett

We've already got replacements for Sven there and we lack what Kane brings which is why I'd prefer to swap Kane for Baer on Horvat's wing.

As I showed above, we don't,  We have 3 players that fit in that group, If we're keeping two, Gagner is easily the odd man out.

And Sven's more versatile than Gagner?

Yes, gagner can't do anything but play sheltered minutes and float on the PP,  Sven is better defensively. There's a reason why Sven is averaging a full 2.5 minutes per game more than gagner in even strength ice time

Gagner wasn't brought in to fix the PP with the twins IMO. Be another tool on the PP in general? Sure. Veteran top 9 depth for not re-signing the twins next year? Yup.

Do we need another? He's only 3 years old than Sven and Granlund, Horvats is in his 4th season now and likely going to be the captain,  he doesn't bring speed, he brings sheltered skill.  If any skill player needs to be i'd much rather have that going to

C/W depth until more kids are ready in the next couple years? Yup.

Kids are ready next year.  AKA why 3 years was a bad term.  There were plenty of other available stop gaps this summer 

Trade asset in a couple years? Yup.

Sure, like in the past when he was traded three times, once by the oilers for Purcell (cap dump) where he was immeditaly flipped for a 6th round pick, then 6 months later for Pronger's cap dump and a depth D.  Can't wait to see the value he can bring back.  

If you listened to that interview I posted, you'd hear that Goldy's actually learning how to play hockey!

They've even got him doing some PK in his development! But yeah, I'd have him with Gagner and Boeser, all sheltered, ozone starts and PP time that we've been giving the twins. 

I like goldy and think he will be a player but out of the 3 play making wingers if we are keeping two,  gagner in no way is one of them.  They are younger, improving, cheaper and provide more than gagner does.  Gagner is a waste of a roster spot, it's become more and more evident with every inch Goldy gets closer to being a full time NHLer.  We needed a one year stop gap, but for some reason signed a three year term.   

Nope, still sign Gagner.

Yeah but you're stubborn and will never admit you were wrong.

Just now, Viper007 said:

It's for the better apollo.  We need the Sedins' to become the 3rd line.  Maybe they'll be more productive too, since they won't have to go up against the best D pairing of the opponent.

Maybe... but in my day dreams I had them rejuvenating their careers and hitting 60+ points en route to the stanley cup this year. 

That's what I want damnit! I want a story book ending. 

56 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

A great game last night !!!

Nilsson was wonderful. The coach has no reason to sit him in next game.

All 6 D were solid.

Coach made a good mixture of 4 liners.

The BBB line replaced Bo by Burm was surprised but the out coming was effective.

Bo was average. I trust him, in near future, will work better even with Vanek and Dorsett.

Thanks Dorsett, keep it.

There is very difficult to find a person working well with Sedins.  Any suggestion?

Anson Carter.  Or make a trade to get Burrows back, the only two players in history that excelled with the Sedins.  Both were willing to go and do the dirty work to get the puck back, and both could finish plays in close.  Maybe Boeser will be ready but only if he decides it's time to assert himself against guys like Chara and Burns and Byfuglien.  Otherwise more of the same which really is very little.

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Dahlen and Granlund are also  both skilled playmakers  @ForsbergTheGreat, they just also happen to play with more grit and 2 way ability.

Yeah....no.

They are not on the same level of skill as Sven and Goldy. 

Travis green seems to agree, hence why Baertschi gets 3x the pp ice time as granlund. 

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well, when I am wrong, I'll happily admit it Mr. Kettle ;)

Guess you're never wrong since your yet to admit anything mr potts...

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah....no.

They are not on the same level of skill as Sven and Goldy. 

Travis green seems to agree, hence why Baertschi gets 3x the pp ice time as granlund. 

Guess you're never wrong since your yet to admit anything mr potts...

_2014%20MR%20Potts.jpg

As an aside from the actual game. I've decided to have the same attitude Vanek had with that mean breakaway slapper today in my daily life. 

It's been great! I've approached everything angrily and without a care in the world all at the same time. Vanek is a genius. 

great game by the whole team. Finally a glimpse of the future. Saw a potential #1 Goalie, a great looking top PP unit, a strong, youthful line up, a good all around defensive effort, strong defense all around, more smart plays that bad ones, less time for the twins, no Eriksson, Elder. Best all around game IMO. 

1 minute ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Didn't get a chance to watch the game last night...

How was the play of Gudbranson?

Another guy I hope steps up in Edler's absence....is Pouliot. How was he? 

Thx

Guddy was excellent.  He was paired with Hutton, and both played well.  

6 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Didn't get a chance to watch the game last night...

How was the play of Gudbranson?

Another guy I hope steps up in Edler's absence....is Pouliot. How was he? 

Thx

Pouliot played decent. Had the puck bouncing on his stick a bit. Was relatively sound defensively and jumped into the rush offensively when he had the chance. Not great not bad which is just fine by me. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Anson Carter.  Or make a trade to get Burrows back, the only two players in history that excelled with the Sedins.  Both were willing to go and do the dirty work to get the puck back, and both could finish plays in close.  Maybe Boeser will be ready but only if he decides it's time to assert himself against guys like Chara and Burns and Byfuglien.  Otherwise more of the same which really is very little.

How about trade one of Sedins to get Burrows back, and pair them with Goldy?

1 hour ago, mooby said:

As an aside from the actual game. I've decided to have the same attitude Vanek had with that mean breakaway slapper today in my daily life. 

It's been great! I've approached everything angrily and without a care in the world all at the same time. Vanek is a genius. 

Yes, try this in bakery lineups, or at Gov't offices..sure to get results.

12 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its an example of what Green said earlier in the year about Gagner being used up and down the lineup. Initially i thought this would mean on set lines but apparently its in-game too, but whatever works works. It would be nice if we could actually present as a challenge on the road this year. 

Your comment may reveal the reason for the unexpected line combinations we have seen in practice.  All players to be familiar enough with everybody else's play so when Green starts moving players around mid game, nobody will be thrown by playing with somebody new.

Archived