The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks starting goalie- Nilsson VS Markstrom?!

kurtzfan

I think it is fine to have a "controversy" when you are dealing with two goalies who have essentially only proven themselves to be decent backups.  I think signing Nilsson was a great move by Benning, as it provides a clear path for either one of them to take on the #1 position and pushes both to be better.  This is not at all a situation like before where we are holding two elite goalies, with one being the historical #1 and the other being an elite up and comer.  

As to which is the better goalie: I believe Markstrom has more to prove.  In his best season he sported a .915 and 2.73 whereas Nilsson's last season he managed .923 and 2.67.  I personally look at percentage far more than gaa, and while Nilsson's gaa was obviously better than Markstrom's his save % was on a totally different level. If Nilsson can maintain those kinds of numbers, that's easily mid-pack #1 goalie territory.  While the Canucks put faith in Markstrom by way of both his contract as well as basically gifting him the #1 position for this season, if Nilsson continues to perform at this level I think Markstrom will be hard pressed to maintain the starter job... especially if he cannot elevate his game.

With this said, in his first two games Markstrom really played exceptionally well.  His issue isn't and never has been his outright ability - it's been about his consistency.  If you look at his games last season, there aren't a lot of average to above average games.  Either he plays lights-out or he sucks.  So far this season it is shaping up to look very similar.  Until he finds that consistency he simply cannot and will not be a #1 goalie.

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

We also shouldn't forget Markstrom's strong performances after giving up the early goal. Yes, Nilsson had a great game against the Senators, but that was only one game and Markstrom has been considered our "starting goaltender" since Game 1.

If I was the coach, I would reward Nilsson to start next game, since it's a back-to-back game, and play Markstrom the night after. In the end, I do see 60/40 games split in favour of Markstrom.

That's exactly the rotation (60/40) I'd like to see. 

We have two goalies with great physical gifts and natural talent. But they both have shown some tendency to lose fundamentals and get away from proper technique.

Nilsson spoke to this and how he didn't feel right during preseason. Was slumping his shoulders and generally had poor posture (dropping his seat too low and curving his chest), which was making him look much smaller than he is and exposing gaps. He worked with the coaches and corrected the issues and the results showed last game.

Markstrom started the season well but the began to develop some poor habits (losing the net and overcommitting) as he got into his 3rd and 4th games in 8 days. IMO he played too much and should have been swapped out earlier and giving some practice time to get his game back on track.

I think a 60/40 rotation gives both goalies enough game time to stay sharp but also allows ample practice time, goaltender coaching, and video review to break down technical issues, make adjustments, and maintain peak performance.

EDIT: The tough part for the coaches is being willing to take a goalie out of the net when appears to be playing well. The tendency is always to "ride the hot hand" and not make a change until they have a bad game. The key is to make the change before the issues actually effect the results. Easier said than done. But setting a firm rotation (like a 60/40 split) makes it much easier because you can chart out the season and remove most of the guesswork from the equation.

Our fans are crazy. I dont know who would ever want to be a goalie in Vancouver. We throw elite tenders under the bus and chase them out of town and are so quick to put them down.

Nilsson had a strong game. Do any of you truly think surviving an early game 17-4 shot onslaught is sustainable for any goalie ?

He played fantastic, will Nillson play that way every day no. Did he look better than Markstrom yes, has Markstrom not had great nights as well?

We will ride the hot hand in net and over the year we will see if one separates from the other by being more consistent. But relax everyone gosh.

9 hours ago, kurtzfan said:

I see enough of Markstrom. TG should already let Nilsson play for the last home game.

I highly doubt Markstrom will have a shout out in his career. He keeps letting him the soft goals one after another.

Both Nilsson and Markstorm are trying to get the starting goalie position.

I think Nilsson will be able to take the position in the end.

What do you guys think?

FIne ill do it...    
I would like to send a shout out to Jacob Markstrom SHOUT OUT MARKY SHOUT OUT.

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Our fans are crazy. I dont know who would ever want to be a goalie in Vancouver. We throw elite tenders under the bus and chase them out of town and are so quick to put them down.

Nilsson had a strong game. Do any of you truly think surviving an early game 17-4 shot onslaught is sustainable for any goalie ?

He played fantastic, will Nillson play that way every day no. Did he look better than Markstrom yes, has Markstrom not had great nights as well?

We will ride the hot hand in net and over the year we will see if one separates from the other by being more consistent. But relax everyone gosh.

Agreed.

Both guys have spurts of great play.  Right now the team is determining if either of them can do this consistently for long stretches (which is the mark of a true #1) and until one of them does that, we ride the hot hand.

IMHO however, I think Nilsson might have an edge over Markstrom in terms of realizing potential.  The guy seems to have only improved over time.  Markstrom has always been good, but it does seem like he is consistently plagued by the negative aspects of his play.  Not saying that Markstrom can't overcome this though (and I for one hope he can since that would give the Canucks two strong goaltenders).

9 hours ago, kurtzfan said:

I see enough of Markstrom. TG should already let Nilsson play for the last home game.

I highly doubt Markstrom will have a shout out in his career. He keeps letting him the soft goals one after another.

Both Nilsson and Markstorm are trying to get the starting goalie position.

I think Nilsson will be able to take the position in the end.

What do you guys think?

regards,  G.

We don't really have a true starter IMO. But both are capable goalies and can steal the occasional game. I think we just have to ride the hot hand.

I think both are better then your typical back up goalie but worse then your typical starter. But maybe one of them will rise to the occasion. We just have to wait and see.

I wonder sometimes about peoples expectations. We are a bad team ATM and even if we had Carey Price as our goalie we would lose a lot of games.

Archived