The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tragically Hip Gord Downie Passed away

Mackcanuck

Not many musicians ascend to greatness, and very seldom will they ever be remembered as legends. Even fewer have earned the title as a hero, and to me Gord was one of those few. He was an activist, a poet, and a good human. He spent his final year shining light on social injustice in the hope he could leave Canada in a better place then when he entered it. I'd like to think he did.

Rest in peace Mr. Downie, you damn well earned it.

In 2002 I was at the Hard Rock Cafe in the Byward Market in Ottawa.  At about 8 pm the staff announced that the restaraunt would be closing due to an emergency but that those still in the building should remain seated and then they turned the lights off.

About 2 minutes later the first licks of New Orleans is Sinking came ripping out from the back end of the restaraunt and Gord Downie and the Tragically Hip stepped on to the little rinky dink stage and proceeded to close the place down for the next 90 minutes.

To this date it was and is one of the most intimate and amazing concerts I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing.  For the 90 minutes they played they spent another 30 to 45 minutes actually walking through the place getting to know the crowd, invited people up on stage to sing and jam with them.  The defining moment came when this kid of about 12 years old had a crappy little acoustic guitar and was tearing out bobcaygeon with the band and at the end of the show the band brought him on stage and Steve Langlois just handed him this unbelievable guitar signed by the entire band and stuffed with tickets to their concert the next night.

When the show was over we realized that this show, this entire concert was held in front of maybe 45-50 people in the entire restaraunt on a Tuesday night

I've enjoyed and seen a lot of music in my life.  But there's never been a band to match the iconic legacy that will be left by the Hip or with the leadership and compassion endlessly shown by Gord Downie.

Good show guys.  We don't deserve an encore but thanks for coming for us

RIP Gord

I hear your voice cross a frozen lake
A voice from the end of a leaf
Saying, “You won’t die of a thousand fakes
Or be beaten by the sweetest of dekes”

The Tragically Hip - The Lonely End of the Rink

did the Tragically Hip ever make a bad song? me thinks not...so so many great tunes in so many different styles from hard to ballad.

Gordon's voice is so majestic and watching him perform live was always such an entertaining experience....we were blessed to have him share his spirit with us.

Archived