The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] what assets should Benning target in trades?

Several months ago I would have expressed a severe need for high-end forward line talent.  But if you look at the guys we have in the system I think we have a decent chance of already having those players.  Between Dahlen, Goldobin, Lind, Pettersson, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Lockwood, and maybe Palmu (and then let's not forget Virtanen and Boeser who are already with the big club) I think that all these guys have at least outside top-six potential if not significantly more, and I expect at least a few of them to hit that ceiling.  So really, I'm not so concerned at this point in this regard.

Primarily, I think our blueline is still thin on high end talent.  I'm pulling for Subban but let's face it - he first has to make the NHL so it's a long road for him.  Juolevi is our best prospect in this regard, but while he may turn into a fine defenseman I still am not at all convinced he is going to be that elite pmd we need in the first slot.  Then of course there are the outside chance guys like Chatfield or Brisbrois but at the end of the day we have pretty much all our eggs in Juolevi's basket and I don't think that is wise.  So I'd like to see high end draft picks or high ceiling prospects to shore up this area.

Draft picks and under 24 year old players.  We will have some serious cap space if we want to add older players.  We need to accumulate more speed and skill in the system and hope that some of it turns out.  We tried with Baertschi, Vey, Granlund, Kenins, Clendening, Subban, Hutton, Stecher, Corrado, Etem, Shinkaruk, Grenier, and some others and 4 of them became NHL regulars.  This is how it works.  The deeper and more skilled the pool, the better chance of getting a few great players out of it.

17 minutes ago, Toews said:

Vanek was pacing 65 points with Detroit last year and all he was able to fetch was a 3rd. His poor playoff resume really hurts his value. 

yup. Not expecting big returns on Vanek. 

I can see this TDL being pretty quiet for us. I'm hoping we extend Guddy, not trade him. Someone might offer a lot for Tanev.... but the bar was set high last season and he won't be any cheaper this year. Other than those two I don't see any big trades or picks coming our way. And I'd be happy to hang on to both of them. 

5 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

why would you trade for a guy thjat a team just drafted, and isnt going to give him away very easily?

You mean like Dahlen, or Goldobin, or baertschi?

or like how sergachev was dealt this summer? Or forsberg was dealt to Nashville from Washington? 

Those are just some examples I thought of off the top of my head. Teams trade their top-end prospects all the time, it’s worth targeting them

No Tanev trade please.  The guy is so solid.  He makes everybody he plays with better.  What more could you want with a developing / rebuilding team?  He's only 27

Moving some players like Vanek and Burmistrov, who are on 1 year contracts, at the TDL for picks or prospects would be suitable.  

Otherwise, it depends on the opportunity.  If Puliot becomes any kind of a player, it's grand larceny 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Tanev straight up for Sammy boy?  Is Sam the next Cody Hodgson though?  His regression is worrisome. 

I would definitely. Tanev is fantastic and our steadiest defender but you got to give to get. While Tanev isn’t old he’s just in his prime now and will be out of his prime when our Canucks will be a playoff team again. We’re pretty crowded upfront so maybe send them a bottom 6 forward so Reinhart doesn’t push anybody out of the lineup. Tanev and Dorsett for Reinhart and a 3rd rounder.

I think it should be draft picks now, we have plenty 2/3/4 prospects.......we need to swing for the fences.....we need high end prospects

I always list all players I would trade, but I would never expect a GM to trade them all in one year..........but here is my list of vets I would trade

Edler.............................................to Montreal for 2 seconds or to Ottawa for a late first

Tanev ..........................................to Toronto for Liljegrin + a late first   or  to Arizona for a 1st + 2nd

Baertschi......................................to Montreal for a 2nd + 3rd

Vanek + Archibald .......................to Pittsburgh for a 2nd

Sutter............................................to Edmonton for 2 seconds or Arizona for 2nd + 3rd

Gudbranson..................................to Toronto for a late 1st + 3rd or Florida for a 1st ........................if he doesn't want to sign

Hey, you throw enough $&!# on the wall, something is going to stick!

9 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:
  • He's not making any trades, got it!

This

Benning would rather keep what he has and lose every game, than make trades due to a slump or not able to win games.

people need to realize this and accept a mediocre team for a few years, 3-4 ....

To ott: vanek, edler

to van: 1st pick 2018, 4th pick 2018

To tor: tanev, gaunce

to van: 1st pick 2018, kapanen

It’s not gonna happen but I like seeing us acquiring first rounders ::D

realistically its vanek for a 3rd

next year 

Also draft dahlin!!! Sign Hamhuis 1yr/1m as a veteran presence 

Baertschi-horvat-boeser

virtanen-gagner-goldobin

kapanen-petterson-eriksson

granlund-sutter-dorsett

Molino

dahlin-gudbranson

delzotto-juolevi

Hutton-stecher

Hamhuis-biega

Look all those budding young stars!  A youth movement! Could it be?!

and maybe sign Kane....or back up a dump truck full of 77 million dollars onto Tavares door step 

Archived