The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson suspended one game for hit on Frank Vatrano

Apricot

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Big time. He hit someone from behind. It's illegal according to the rules. We won the next game against BUFFALO while he rested. Probably had a nice meal, nice brawd, a few beersh between periods.

Who cares.

Exactamundo.

ready to chew and spit out the wings.

4 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

That will be the day I stop watching....and/or a Canadian league is founded.  

Not only that, the NHL will lose its appeal as a spectator sport. 

A lot of people watch hockey for the shear physicality of the sport. It will be the death of the NHL....

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Disagree Baggins........the puck carrier clearly turned his back after Guddy was committed to body contact.  It was set to be a perfectly legal hit until he turned his back at the last second........no way Guddy could have stopped himself at that point.  

There wasn't a significant change to his body position at all. His back was to him the entire time. Watch it again.

10 minutes ago, Baggins said:

There wasn't a significant change to his body position at all. His back was to him the entire time. Watch it again.

I accept that in the new NHL that’s a major, but guys play like it’s soccer and shield the puck by turning their backs.  If you’re a really big guy (Jagr) you can get away with that, but these little guys get pounded, like they used to - when it wasn’t a penalty.  You had to either accept the hit, spin out of it, or get killed.  

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Big time. He hit someone from behind. It's illegal according to the rules. We won the next game against BUFFALO while he rested. Probably had a nice meal, nice brawd, a few beersh between periods.

Who cares.

What's a nice brawd?

3 minutes ago, HockeydownUnder said:

Numbers were showing the entire time. Gudbranson could have skated towards the boards and got Vatrano from the side. Instead he waits and gets him in the back.

1 game was the right call 

I didn't see that there was any hesitation in Guds hit.  If he 'waited' to hit him in the back, that would be a case for 'intent', which I don't see at all.  The penalties and misconduct were sufficient.  I'm not that bothered by the 1 game suspension.

9 minutes ago, HockeydownUnder said:

Numbers were showing the entire time. Gudbranson could have skated towards the boards and got Vatrano from the side. Instead he waits and gets him in the back.

1 game was the right call 

Back in the day, when you skated around showing everyone your numbers while looking down at the puck you were called a moron, not a victim.

If Guddy drops deep to cut him off on the boards, he's out of position.

Guddy did hit the numbers, but Vatrano fully deserved it. That was some weak crap.

Vatrano would actually be dead right now if he played prior to 2004.

League's gotta start penalizing and suspending guys for risking themselves in situations like that. Lucky he didn't wind up with a broken neck for a PP

Boarding call can be subjective because interpretation what is boarding is not consensus in NHL circles.  The referee would look at one play and says that it is boarding major while the other referee looks at the same play would say that it is minor.  Some fans would say that it is not worthy of a suspension while other fans would say, yes, it's one gamer.   I would say that boarding is minor and not worthy of a suspension while others will say that the call is justified.  I factored the size difference and not much strides made to the board and is only a glide toward the board while other would say that he thruster into him.  He wanted to separate the puck from the man, rather than stopping on the track and not hit on purpose and he would continue to have the puck.  Who knows what his intention would be, stick-handling the puck or making a pass when he is receiving the puck until it's a last minute.  You don't want him to him to continue freewheeling around the board with the puck and stop him on his track.  So thus is the reason I factored that it's just a minor.   To me, a boarding is when he stopped completely with the puck for a few second and hit from the behind.   In this case, he was just colluding while both of them were on motion along the board and him stopping his track.   I have laid my reasons why it is not a disciplinary offense or even a major penalty offense.  

1 minute ago, Toyotasfan said:

Gudbranson needs to do this twice a year plus a few fights just to make a point to other teams that sends a message : Don't mess with my team

Agreed.  His teammates should buck up any fines, and pay his salary for him too.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I accept that in the new NHL that’s a major, but guys play like it’s soccer and shield the puck by turning their backs.  If you’re a really big guy (Jagr) you can get away with that, but these little guys get pounded, like they used to - when it wasn’t a penalty.  You had to either accept the hit, spin out of it, or get killed.  

Have you seen Horvat come in on the wing and cut to the net? He uses his body to shield the puck. There's nothing illegal in that. It certainly doesn't mean the defender can do as he pleases to him.

Watch the video again Alf. Vatrano shoots left. He turned his body looking back and to reach across and play the puck along the boards. He had no idea Guddy was coming because he wasn't looking that direction. He didn't turn to protect the puck he turned to play the puck.

6 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Gudbranson needs to do this twice a year plus a few fights just to make a point to other teams that sends a message : Don't mess with my team

And he can catch Torres in no time with a 41 game suspension. That's what happens to those that don't learn.

Archived